What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mazar & Lebanese

Esskie

Hi there,
Just received my order of Mazar-i-Sharif through the door this morning from RSC :woohoo:

Needless to say they are in a glass each of 24hr water already lol

Also in their well packaged container was RSC Lebanese, both strains chosen for their growing time and hopefully something good to pull through the bags ;)

As they were only put into water at approx mid-day, I was really pleased to see 3 of 4 Mazar sunk already
picture.php

the Lebanese
picture.php

I'm not too sure about the Lebanese to be honest as instead of 12 there were 13 in the pack and I'm superstitious about that number for some mad reason, in contrast there were only 10 Mazar so although 2 have gone awol it'll hopefully balance things out some lol

The plan is to let them soak tonight in 24hr water which had a drop of Superthrive dropped into the 2L bottle it was taken from. After the soak, they'll be moved into moist spreader/capillary matting stuff I have and/or placed into net pots under the top tray of the aero-cloner
the cloner won't be on but will be used incase the matting gets too dry

other than that not much can be done at the moment so watch this space and send your positive vibes for these wee ones :)

Esskie

Just a quick update on the RSC beans

they were moved from the h2o in the morning so probably spent around 18hrs or so in the glass, from there they were moved to moist kitchen roll but not into the aero-cloner (it's the perfect environment at the bottom of one of those net pots!)

although 2 x Lebanese have split they seem to have stopped in their tracks :drum:, I'm sad to report that none of those Mazar have split after being the 1st to sink in their glass

We haven't given up on them by any means but have placed a couple more Mazar and 4 Leb straight from the baggie into moist tissue between two small saucers (an age old method lol)
just me being used to seeds germinating in a day or two plus I really would like to get cracking with growing these out

there is a spot I've found atop my CD tower where the ambient temp is always between 20 and 23 degrees so they're all sitting there atm

it's not worth me taking any pics to show you split seeds as you all know what they look like lol

Esskie

Stil nothing with a tail yet but since moving the Mazar and Lebanese into the aerocloner yesterday, 5/6 Lebanese seem to be doing something although a couple had just split already

also, 2 of the Mazar appear to be just thinking about splitting now so fingers crossed

we had another strain which came out the fridge that were germinated at the same time using the same method, 2 of those are up through and into 25mm cubes & hydroton under the veg light already

I've a good feeling about the Leb, not sure why but don't feel so confident about the Mazar though?.....it's possibly just down to the Leb splitting first but also we had really poor germination rates from the last Mazar we grew (from a different supplier)

It's my hope to get these up and sexed in time so the Leb can be done beside our Hashplant and BMR in a new grow tent once the fans have been dialled in

Hopefully some pics with green in them soon!

Peace & take care,
Regards, Esskie

Esskie

No Mazar :(

No Mazar :(

Well it doesn't look like I'm going to see any Mazar from these seeds :frown:

There is one however that has a small white tail, it hasn't gotten any bigger since I noticed it but it still loks healthy & white so :confused:
the others haven't bothered to crack at all bar one but that's all it did

As for the Lebanese, although not what I'd call the most viable seeds I've germinated, 3 were just placed into their small RW starter cubes this morning (1 of the ones I'd scuffed a bit first) so we'll be keeping a close eye on those.........

1 female is all I ask so fingers crossed

they are still in the aerocloner which is definitly the best place for them to be if they are to have any chance of showing their heads at all, the 3 x Lebanese are in their own net pots with the neoprene collar just resting loose on the top to give em some shade.

Esskie

All is not lost :)

All is not lost :)

Hi there,
Anyone who's read this thread may have realised already we haven't exactly been lucky regarding germination of these seeds :frown:

Since my last post however, I'm pleased to be able to post some good news, we have more than one Lebanese up through :woohoo:

As if that wasn't cool enough, there is 1 of the Mazar popped & is now up through but, as of this evening, still hasn't shed it's shell

(my apolz for the garbage pics, they were taken on a mobile with a garbage camera)

RSC Lebanese #1......the only one in a 3" cube so far.....touch wood
picture.php

here are the other two of the trio, I'm certainly not going to get a choice of phenos from this strain but if we get a female then that's something at least

Leb #2
picture.php

Leb #3
picture.php

Here's the wee Mazar just poking it's head up now, it's not a very clear pic but you can make out the un-shed seed, it will hopefully have shed the shell by tomorrow

picture.php

As they are only just up they are still very fragile so aren't being fed anything other than 24hr water with a drop of Superthrive & Rhizotonic. Once they are a week or two old they'll move onto a weak Formulex solution (EC: 1.0 ~ 1.2).

Veg will be done in a DualFlow system in F+D mode under a 250w Envirolite which sits beside the aerocloner

It's still waay earl to be thinking about crossing these plants but as I have 2 x HashPlants currently at approx 4wks veg, it'd be interesting to do a HashPlant/Lebanese cross?
there's bound to be a male of one and a female of the other that could be used, maybe not the best of choice of parent stock but hey ho

tbh, I'm relieved to be getting something from my $$ but that's the nature of the beast I dare say. probably should be considering myself lucky to be seeing anything from these seeds so maybe best to play it a step at a time and see what we have to play with once vegged out, flowered and smoke tested

Esskie

Update

Update

Hi there,
As I was taking a few pics of this & that I thought it was about time I updated this thread!

I've ended up with my Mazar & Lebanese grow being a Lebanese grow but it could be a no grow which is a whole lot worse!!

After starting off a little leggy as can be seen in the previous post, they're starting to get it together now but still haven't taken off yet but patience is a virtue

here's a pic of them, the solitary Mazar is the one at the bottom with the white marker stick:
picture.php

I did get one more that popped up from the soil pot after being discarded but I don't know if it's a Mazar or Lebanese?

there seems to be some with the first serrated leaf is longer & narrower than a couple of the others, infact the Mazar (I'm 99% positive I didn't get em mixed up?) looks just like some of the Leb :watchplant:
having said that I can see a difference between these two?
picture.php
maybe the one I'm holding is the Mazar & not the one marked?......I shouldn't do crucial jobs like that when I'm baked :kos:

there are a couple that have went mutant they way I've seen Blueberry doing at this stage:
picture.php

picture.php

slight tip burn with this one, they aren't being fed yet so??
picture.php

I know from reading & much appreciated advice from Angus at RSC that the Leb doesn't like too much nutes so I'll keep this in mind once these babies get up a bit and start being fed automatically from the rez

Atm we're they are in what I'd call passive hydro being watered by hand daily & a foliar misting every few days

I'll post more frequently with more pics as they get going :smokeit:

Esskie

you r holding the mazzar

Hi and thanx for posting man

you are definitely seeing what I'm seeing, the one with the white stick in the pot looks too much like the rest huh

compare it to the one in the 3" cube, it's identical & I know for sure the Grodan contains a Lebanese as it was the first one to germ & stick it's head up

gonna have to swap that marker stick lol

We are hoping the wee tiny small one in the bottom right of the group pic is Mazar too

Either way we're looking forward to growing out the Lebanese, IBL have interested me for a longtime & it's vital that we keep these strains pure and spread them as far & wide as possible

here's a pic of a Leb indoors @ 40days from the RSC site, notice how slim fingered the fans are
picture.php

Esskie

I think they are starting to get going, what do you guys think?
picture.php

this is the one we'd thought was Mazar at first then Leb, now I'm not so sure again :chin:
picture.php

this one with the marker stick is the one jm420 reckoned was Mazar, as I did & still do
picture.php
when you compare it to the one next to it in the RW cube there def seems to be a definite difference?.......maybe the one that came up out of the soil pot was Mazar to......hope so as 2 x Mazar gives us a bit more of a sporting chance at getting a female

still haven't fed them any proper nutrient as yet other than the misting they get when the others do, other than that it's water with a wee bit of S/Thrive, a wee bit of Rhizotonic

as you can see, even the mutants are still with us (we never cull any mutants or runts if I can at all avoid it) & coming along nicely

I'll get some more pics posted later as this is just a short post.....enjoy
Regards, Esskie

Esskie

Time for a wee update and a few pics :watchplant:

I have to say these Lebanese are coming on well although I only just put the majority of them into 3" cubes and/or larger pots with clay pebbles earlier this evening after having endured a really heavy last few days involving projectile vomit! :badday:

starting with Leb#1
picture.php

picture.php

I can't get the light down as close to them as I'd like due to the pair of HashPlants which have both been cloned but are still in the veg sys :drum:
picture.php

still not 100% if this is a Mazar or a Lebanese pheno?, the Leb has very pronounced serrations along the leaf which this doesn't appear to have so?....I've noticed from pics of it on the RSC site it can show slightly broader leaf too though
picture.php

not sure.....Leb I think?
picture.php

picture.php

the mutants are still coming on ok
picture.php

the pair of HPs will be out of there within the next 2-3 days which will allow me to get the light lowered a lot giving the plants more intense light from which they will hopefully respond accordingly

btw, I moved the them into cubes & larger pots after taking the pics so they aren't going to be restricted by those tiny wee seedling pots more than they have been

I think 20 or 21 x 13cm square pots fit the DualFlow perfectly so aim to pickup a load instead of these silly wee things.
same for the 3" cubes but I got these thrown in on a deal so used them, the norm is a starter cube & clay pebbles

jm420

Veteran
the mazzar is the full fat fingered leaves ,believe me ive grown enough it,not sure what kind of system your running,but i mite suggest you stick to one method.Rockwool can be a best freind or worst enemy.never mind the fact mazzar tends to be real short and a lite feeder.I dont know anything about the Leb. but .a dominent sativa will stretch and whats up with all the diffrent poys,easier to keep everything the same.BTW rthe 2 big ones look good,leb in my op..But i think you should really try to figure what ur trying to do ex"ebbflow,nft ,dwc,cuz you should have 2 footers by now

rocket high

Veteran
looking good ess.......... those hp's are shouting at me . they do look healthy ... is it flood and drain that your doing ...at the mo?

Esskie

Hi bud,
Thanks for droppin by rocket high......passes phat one!

Can you tell I just had no energy while writing that last post from the lack of info lol

jm420 thanks for your input man, we've been using RW & clay pebbles in our hydro systems for years mate so there's not much chance of changing now sorry......they are F+D all the way?, not sure what you mean regarding deciding which method I'm going to use?

the somewhat topsy turvy looking method certainly doesn't look good though I agree, we're confident they've been moved soon enough for the wee pots not to have stunted or stressed them to the point of it having a permanent affect though

Btw the 3" Grodans are only there as I got em free with some other stuff from the goodie shop while buying some hardware, I never use them as a rule

those are very small seedling pots which the seeds were....well....started in, due to me being so ill, ended up staying in them a bit longer than expected........I think your 2 footers in 4wks might be a wee bit optimistic from this strain (Leb) tbh although the HashPlants are over 2ft atm & only 5wks old so anything is possible.
We've had this particular strain of HP for a couple of years since 04/05 and it's become a favourite/keeper, it isn't the release with the Lebanese lineage RM did which might've been interesting but a nice one all the same

Both these strains were very slow to germinate so 2wks since starting this thread was spent waiting on them popping, they've probably only had their heads above ground for around 2-3wks

They were all moved into bigger pots (clay pebbles) and/or the last of the 3" cubes last night after I snapped these pics, you could almost see the difference this morning lol!

here's a pic of what was probably the last time I done Mazar. Sorry I can't remember who it was from? but it was dated mid 2005 so it had to be amongst one of the last few grows we did before packing up the indoor stuff?
picture.php

things are far from running smoothly yet though you are correct, we've basically just put together a new veg & flower room after a massive downgrade. The bloom room has dropped from a 1800w (3 x 600wHPS)/24 bucket F+D sys to a measly 1 x 600w/F+D tray in a wee tent

I wasn't sure if I was going to fill the veg tray with pebbles at first so decided to just use these pots until things have been sorted out, maybe you saw my mention of the 21 x 13cm square pots in my last post?
21 x 13cm square pots fit into the veg sys tray so I may pick up 42+ so they can be vegged and flowered in them right through with no faffing around changing pots etc ya know?

What's holding things up now, as I mentioned are the HashPlants, they've been cloned already (first cuts have rooted btw Rocket High so make a space!!) and should be a couple of weeks into flower by now!
Unfortunately they aren't thus the light can't be lowered down as much as both myself and the plants would like!.
That is a major factor in their current size!....lack of light intensity

The Lebanese is an IBL from RSC, a light feeder. I haven't found anyone growing it in hydro so far to compare notes with etc but there'll be a couple of clones heading towards yourself there Rocket High once sexed for sure ;)

It originates from a mountainous region above Bekaa Valley in Lebanon, if you can remember the old skool Leb that came in the cheesecloth up until the mid 80s? then chances are you've smoked some hash from that region
the colouring of this one is beautiful, on site it mentions it being a purple/red pheno but temps can cause this same effect as we know....makes for nice eye candy though
picture.php

Despite the Lebanese having narrow fingered leaf it tends to stay short and squat as an indica would with a finishing time to match so for all intents & purposes it behaves like an indica. There is a columnar type and a wide bushy type from the info I've been given, the latter can hit 90cm wide by 90cm tall
Aromas I have to look forward to are
cedar and pine, with a sweet edge, and heavy aromas of fruit, similar to bubblegum

We've ended up setting up a few of the buckets from the 24 bucket sys inside their flower tent so I'm looking at a 4 (although I'm hoping I can manage 6 but that might be a wee bit optimistic) deep pod modular F+D sys
All that's left really to do now in order to get the HP moved into 12s is mix up the nute solution & set the digital timer on the feed pump so those will be moved pronto!

Wow, jus noticed how much I've written lol, look out for an update soon, hopefully once the light has been lowered & those damn HPs are outta there!

Peace,
regards, esskie

Esskie

Time for another wee update & a few pics :smoker:

I'm really happy with the way these Lebanese are coming along, those two HashPlants have been moved into flower now so I'm able to get the light pulled right down on top of them. They look like they are responding to the higher light intensity well but it's only been almost a week.

Leb#1
picture.php

Leb#2
picture.php

Although they do have a fairly broad fan leaf, I don't think they are quite as broad as this:-

Mazar#1 this is the one in the black pot mentioned in posts 6 & 8 I originally thought was Mazar then changed my mind, I've since become pretty sure it is actually a Mazar after all :rolleyes:. I'd be interested in your take on this one again now it's bigger if your still subscribed? jm420)
picture.php

same plant from the side to show the tight internode spacing
picture.php

Not 100% with this one yet but it does look very Mazar like & doesn't bear much resemblance to the Leb whatever comparisons are made?, this was one of the very last to germinate from the soil pot the non-starters were banished to so there's a really good chance it is Mazar
picture.php

Today I done a complete nutrient change with 40L of water that's been sitting for the last couple of days.
After adding 2-3ml per/L of Canna Rhizotonic, a total of 100ml of Cannazyme (25ml/per litre) & 1ml of my trusty S/Thrive, I brought the EC up to a value of 1.30 which is approx where it was at before.
A little pH down was required to bring the pH down from 6.7 to a more preferable 6.0

We were also lucky enough to have received some RSC Mazar f2s from HeryRhom for some BOG genetics in return :ying:
we're very grateful for the f2s and send +rep and peaceful vibes (I just know you'll enjoy the BMR man :canabis:)

RSC Mazar f2s (I've got some of these here for you rocket high gaj)
picture.php

Esskie

Xmas Day Update

Xmas Day Update

Hi there everyone,
Hope everyone got what they wanted from santa :santa1:

Got a few more pics of the RSC Lebanese to post and let you see how they are coming along.

First off I'm happy to say we have identified our 2nd female just tonight so that was a nice xmas day bonus :ying:

This IBL strain is starting to express it's phenotypes now, not a massive difference between the two I've noticed.

As RSC's description states there are columnar or wide & bushy phenotypes, check out what I think may be the two phenos showing already

in this pic there are 6 plants with the taller, bushier ones at the left of the pic & the shorter more squat types on the right
picture.php

One plant, one of the females as it happens, has had alternating leaf & branches since the first shoot appeared which is interesting, we'll be keeping a close eye on her for sure
picture.php

this is the same plant from above
picture.php

this plant seems to be of the taller type but with hardly any side branching, definitely not as much as the plant in the above pic
picture.php

here are a couple of the shorter more squat ones, they have tight internodes with shoots at each one although they don't seem so keen to branch out.......the columnar phenotype maybe? :chin:
picture.php

Remember the enigma in the black pot?.....the older it gets the more different it looks to the others.....here is a pic taken 2 days ago. I'd love to hear a second or even third opinion on this, what do you think?
picture.php

this is it from above
picture.php

Since these are being grown indoors under artificial light they'll never be the plants they would've been were they standing on a hillside in Lebanon but we want to give these the best conditions we can and who knows?, a few may even end up in one of the outdoor plots once the weather gets warmer :tree:

That may be wishful thinking at my northerly latitude but they should finish in time?, the main problem we have here is wet weather such it was around Sep-Oct this year

New fresh nutrient solution just Wednesday there too consisting of:
Formulex @ 50ml/10L,
Cannazyme @ 25ml/10L,
Rhizotonic @ 40ml/10L
foliar misting once or twice a week with Nitrozyme solution (5ml/1L)

They seem to respond best to a pH kept around 5.8~6.2, it was allowed to creep up maxxing at pH:6.9 and the plants were visibly droopy.......healthy looking but a bit droopy leafed for a couple of days before the rez change
picture.php

Esskie

Probably Last Update of 2009

Probably Last Update of 2009

I'm not sure why I'm bothering to document this grow tbh as the thread is dead! :wallbash:

Nonetheless, we found 2 more Lebanese females today :D, that's 3 in total now with Leb-A already being in the bloom tent

'A' was placed into 12/12 really just to sex it with the intentions of pulling it back into veg after sexing but it's had a couple of cuts taken from it so, although it'll be small, will probably stay in 12s?
The others will be vegged longer, I just need to make some space in my veg sys

Here are today's pistillate plants
picture.php

Leb female C (has been super-cropped & bent over at top to encourage lateral growth)
picture.php

Leb female D
picture.php

We will want to make some f2 seeds but not a whole grows worth so pollen will be collected from as many of the males as we can and used to pollinate one small branch on choice females. There are still more seeds in the fridge so it doesn't necessarily have to happen this time round........getting to know the strain and getting dialled in to it's requirements etc first is possibly the better option.

Not wanting to raise the EC too high due to this strain not liking a lot of nutes, it's sitting at approx 1.25-1.30 atm with the pH steady at 5.8

Just incase I don't get another update in before 2010 arrives Happy New Year to all my fellow growers and friends.....you know who you are :thanks:;)

Esskie

Hi & thanks grwAer0 :santa1:
Thanks for dropping by and the encouragement, my opening comment in the last post reached somebody lol!

Tbh, I appreciate there's not much eye candy at the moment and people like to see buds & colas covered in resin not small plants in veg but patience is a virtue as they say :drum:

We're really happy with the way the Leb are coming along though with some nice bud pics to come I'm sure :)

the one that's in 12/12 looks like the taller, branchy pheno so a couple of cuttings were taken just yesterday from her. the other 2 females are still in veg & will remain there for another 4wks or so?

Gonna have to organize another digi camera that isn't affected by the HPS light in order to take pics in the bloom area though, all the pics so far have been in the small veg/clone cupboard

I don't know if I mentioned anything about what they are growing in/under?

Veg Sys: 1 x DualFlow running F+D
250w EnviroLite & Dutch Barn reflector

Flower Sys: 2 x DIY F+D trays (only 1 in use atm)
2 x 600w HPS (only 1 in use atm)

Regards, Esskie

Happy New Year Every One!​

tjo

life gardener
Veteran
esskie
you have some nice plants and in few weeks you gonna have
and some nice buds..do what you like to do and keep
the thread alive.peoples maybe are boring 2 answer but
they look..as far you keep the thread posted and your
plants geting bigger then you see peoples stopping by
in your thread my friend.
do it for you first..if you dont, then stop it.
:smokeit: good luck man