What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Government cannabis compared to private?

Jfs

I would like some advice about the 'Natural Health Services' (http://naturalhealthservices.ca/) and their provision of Cannabis oils and dried cannabis. I want to use cannabis oil, so I will either buy some or make my own. How does dried cannabis and oil from the government compare to buying privately: quality, potency and price?

This is their address: http://naturalhealthservices.ca/
And list of producers: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/marihuana/info/list-eng.php

"Under the ACMPR, cannabis oils must be liquid at room temperature, and contain
no more than 30 milligrams of THC per millilitre of oil (~3.3% THC w/w). How would this compare to taking something like an RSO oil; I think some will mix it with something like coconut oil at a 50?50., would this be as good taking more to get of the cannabis oil?

If I make my own what can I expect doing my own extraction with something like alcohol?

What % of thc can be expected in a cannabis oil?

If doing the 'Rick Simpson Protocol' does the oil have to be a certain % thc or can a person just use more oil?
I am working with a counselor. I will have to ask him what he thinks is necessary for cancer treatment., but I would be open to suggestions.

Thanks

angelgoob

Making your own oil at your desired potency is where it's at.

You get all the pride and knowledge out of it and it's something you made.

Rick Simpsons method involves a substance other than alcohol, I forget what it is, but it had a scary name (lol) and seems like it would leave residue in the oil. Someone said that he said that those chemicals left behind, bind up the liver. So you get more cannabinoids floating in the bloodstream.

I think the THC percentage depends on the product and how you extract.
Do a QUICK wash in alcohol if you want the oil to be more potent, the other stuff on the leave starts going into it. Things like myrcene. Of course if you want that and other stuff in the oil, you do a longer shake (wash) with the alcohol.

You led me to a good point, longer washes get everything and if you want whole plant extract because you think it's better for remedy, then the longer wash is needed.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
No one is going to always have the particular strain you require.

No one is going to provide you with cannabis as inexpensively as you can grow it yourself.

No one is going to be able to provide you with edibles, extracts, topicals or anything as cheaply and cleanly as you can (or a neighbor can) for yourself.

Nobody in the govt cares as much about your health as you do, relying on them is a fairly insane option. Especially for something with as much ignorance surrounding it as cannabis.

Koosmom

I agree, I will never purchase anything from the government! Besides by the time they get thru "fixing" it, you'd come out better by going into the field and grazing. They are a business, and as one they want to make as much money as possible, by selling products that are no good. I've been on pharmaceuticals since the sixties, I came off All of them December 2016. They are no good either. Doctors, politicians, and the pharmaceutical company's are all in cahoots together. I quit going to the doctor too! I feel better now than I have in many years, but still have problems but better.

clearheaded

few ways to go about this. just use ethanol vodka extraction with a known amount of dried decarbed cannabis, rinsing extraction with small amount of fresh vodka or second pull so get most of teh cannabinoids. and can make ruff assumptions on potency of your dried material and small % of loss. so midgrade u can expect 11-15% THC or 110-150mg per dried gram of cannabis. if "good" 15-21% or 150-210mg per gram. so simply can find mg per ml of alcohol tincture. start with what u calculate 2-3mg to be to start just incase its a bit more potent then u think. this could be done with olive oil aswell but bit harder to get all of the cannibinoids without heat and or long soak.

another way would be make a hash and dissolve that in the oil u wish to produce. depending on type can assume its 50-75%(unless u make some VERY clean honey oil dont think get higher then that). its best to assume on the high end as % here or there can add up and make ur dosage too high.

buying from LP at best is a crap shoot. can be bad, smell of chemicals/plastic(buds at least). buying from street can be crap shoot too. hard to know what ur hook ups are like so hard to know if would be better or not. that being said even best LP dont compare to the bc AAAA available at SOME dispenseries and at least can see smell before u buy. however likely not as tested as LP as far as cannabinoid levels... all a crap shoot just depends what ur individual values.

also oils from LP are crude co2 extraction with no real terpenes. those co2 oils produced in that crude bulk way in particular, "strange" chem goes on and may produce some unknown chemicals with unknown effects.

MedicalMilitia

I would like some advice about the 'Natural Health Services' (https://naturalhealthservices.ca/) and their provision of Cannabis oils and dried cannabis. I want to use cannabis oil, so I will either buy some or make my own. How does dried cannabis and oil from the government compare to buying privately: quality, potency and price?

This is their address: https://naturalhealthservices.ca/
And list of producers: https://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/marihuana/info/list-eng.php

"Under the ACMPR, cannabis oils must be liquid at room temperature, and contain
no more than 30 milligrams of THC per millilitre of oil (~3.3% THC w/w). How would this compare to taking something like an RSO oil; I think some will mix it with something like coconut oil at a 50?50., would this be as good taking more to get of the cannabis oil?

If I make my own what can I expect doing my own extraction with something like alcohol?

What % of thc can be expected in a cannabis oil?

If doing the 'Rick Simpson Protocol' does the oil have to be a certain % thc or can a person just use more oil?
I am working with a counselor. I will have to ask him what he thinks is necessary for cancer treatment., but I would be open to suggestions.

Thanks

For RSO it doesn't matter on the THC percentage, but it does matter on the strains used. It is recommended to only use sedating strains that are minimum 90% indica genetics. Anything above 10% sativa can have unwanted effects.