What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Mallitlahuani

I found a part that looks webby but it could also be the hairs from some parts with stem as this cob did have some leafy steamy material

Attachments

• photo2062020.jpg
    photo2062020.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 27
  • photo2062021.jpg
    photo2062021.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 28
  • photo2062022.jpg
    photo2062022.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 17
  • photo2062023.jpg
    photo2062023.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 27
  • photo2062024.jpg
    photo2062024.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 24

Tangwena

Veteran
I found a part that looks webby but it could also be the hairs from some parts with stem as this cob did have some leafy steamy material

I down loaded the pics and looked at them under a zoom feature.
It doesn't look like mold can you post some good close ups of the whole cob just hi resolution normal pics I will soon tell from them.

dreaded

Tangwena... i'm a little confused. Please explain.
Revac and ferment for 6 to 7 days at a warm temp 25 to 30c no need to go longer and you can over ferment and loose a lot of the beautiful terps.
Unseal after 6 to 7 days if you have done it right you should get a very sweet fermented smell its very pungent and quite pleasant.
The cob should be moist again and will have usually compacted and will require drying again.You should not need longer than 7 days.
Once dried to the touch re seal and keep in a warm 25c place to cure and age. Continue checking and drying if its still moist, when you open it every month.

You say ferment for 6-7 days at warm temp. Longer i will loose terps. But at the end you say dry to touch reseal and put back in warm place. Won't i loose terps if i go longer?

Tangwena

Veteran
Tangwena... i'm a little confused. Please explain.
Revac and ferment for 6 to 7 days at a warm temp 25 to 30c no need to go longer and you can over ferment and loose a lot of the beautiful terps.
Unseal after 6 to 7 days if you have done it right you should get a very sweet fermented smell its very pungent and quite pleasant.
The cob should be moist again and will have usually compacted and will require drying again.You should not need longer than 7 days.
Once dried to the touch re seal and keep in a warm 25c place to cure and age. Continue checking and drying if its still moist, when you open it every month.

You say ferment for 6-7 days at warm temp. Longer i will loose terps. But at the end you say dry to touch reseal and put back in warm place. Won't i loose terps if i go longer?

Not if its drier you need moisture for fermentation to occur the less moisture the slower the fermentation/curing effect.
What you are trying to do is initiate the start of the fermentation process then control and regulate the speed at which it occurs by controlling the amount of moisture and heat you apply.
Long slow and gentle will enhance the aroma and make it more attractive aroma wise.
If you let the process have free reign it will occur quickly and in doing so change the look and smell to what is less attractive to us humans, it will still get you high just look and taste less appealing.
Some of the most rank tasting and smelling cobs can be the strongest effects but as humans we like our food, pot ect to look and smell attractive so that is why we have to manipulate the process to get the results we prefer.

Cactus Squatter

Holy Jeesus man thats a dream collection of strains you will have a lot of friends once those cobs cure ha ha.
YES! try chewing between half a gram and three quarters of a gram although some of my friends do a gram sometimes ha ha.
Chew it into dust suck all the juices out then wash it down with a glass of water and dont smoke ANYTHING!

But make sure you dont have to drive or do anything too dangerous for 5 to 8 hours because though you may think you can fly its all in your head my friend.
It takes my friends about an hour for it to hit its stride (its almost instant for me ha ha) then it just keeps building coming in waves of euphoria that are hard to handle in public haha.
It helps if you dont smoke, as smoking dulls the effects. I no longer smoke at all and find even 0.1g of the right cob is just fantastic but 0.25g is better.

Try not to over dose it overwhelm's the more subtle trippy effects and just knocks you into a trippy dream world ha ha. Be patient wait for the effects they will be new to you and you may not realize you are high for a while, its like a different drug to smoking and lasts forever ha ha.
There is more to cannabis than a lot of folks realize, the African medicine men knew it.

Well, what better thing to try on a Sunday morning than chewing up, sucking on, and then swallowing my first piece of Panama cob…
Definitely an acquired taste I’m assuming. 😂 Did not taste like normal weed, but didn’t taste bad at all. Just like some weird health food herbal concoction my wife would eat.
About 30 minutes in and I feel a real light body sensation that has been slowly coming on in little waves, and an overall light/happy feel.
We’ll see how it progresses.

Edit: I ate around .75g and it’s been a bit now. The feeling is very different than smoking or standard edibles. It’s subtle and rolls up and down in little waves. Very functional so far, but also very good and positive feeling.
Occasionally my eyes have done some weird things trying to readjust to different lighting, or when looking from a busy pattern to a blank wall it’s kinda like there’s a slight delay in my brain reading the changes my eyes are seeing. Nothing strong or “woah” inducing yet, but it feels good.

It’ll be interesting to see if and how the effects change as we go along. I haven’t smoked anything even though my wife keeps waiving a bong at me. After eating the cob piece I waited about an hour before eating breakfast.

Last edited:

Tangwena

Veteran
Well, what better thing to try on a Sunday morning than chewing up, sucking on, and then swallowing my first piece of Panama cob…
Definitely an acquired taste I’m assuming. 😂 Did not taste like normal weed, but didn’t taste bad at all. Just like some weird health food herbal concoction my wife would eat.
About 30 minutes in and I feel a real light body sensation that has been slowly coming on in little waves, and an overall light/happy feel.
We’ll see how it progresses.

Edit: I ate around .75g and it’s been a bit now. The feeling is very different than smoking or standard edibles. It’s subtle and rolls up and down in little waves. Very functional so far, but also very good and positive feeling.
Occasionally my eyes have done some weird things trying to readjust to different lighting, or when looking from a busy pattern to a blank wall it’s kinda like there’s a slight delay in my brain reading the changes my eyes are seeing. Nothing strong or “woah” inducing yet, but it feels good.

It’ll be interesting to see if and how the effects change as we go along. I haven’t smoked anything even though my wife keeps waiving a bong at me. After eating the cob piece I waited about an hour before eating breakfast.

Thats the smokers tolerance holding it back most likely, a lot of people get that mild kind of high if they are regular smokers, the effects you feel are the same as I get but mine are very much stronger.
Still I'm sure you can get a good buzz from smoking it.
Unless you want to give up smoking all together then you may get a better result.
I would be interested to see a picture of the finished cob if you have one, maybe after it ages a bit more it may improve.
Its a shame as the highs are well worth the giving up of smoking for ha ha.
Still as they say a picture paints a thousand words.

Cactus Squatter

Thats the smokers tolerance holding it back most likely, a lot of people get that mild kind of high if they are regular smokers, the effects you feel are the same as I get but mine are very much stronger.
Still I'm sure you can get a good buzz from smoking it.
Unless you want to give up smoking all together then you may get a better result.
I would be interested to see a picture of the finished cob if you have one, maybe after it ages a bit more it may improve.
Its a shame as the highs are well worth the giving up of smoking for ha ha.
Still as they say a picture paints a thousand words.

Next time I crack open the vac bag I’ll take a pic for you. They came out really cool looking, it’s interesting the different colors that develop on them during the process.
Towards the 12:30-1pm time frame I did have a heavy sleepiness come on that led to a killer couple hour nap. Could have been the work week finally catching up to me but I feel like the cob piece I ate definitely contributed to my sleepiness.

As far as my tolerance, it’s at the pain in the butt level these days. I had 6 of my seasoned friends completely white/green passing around the second bowl of my KA5H. I ended up smoking another bowl just to myself while giggling at them.

I am massively trying to cut back smoking and eating pieces of cob may just be my ticket. I felt great and very positive all morning and ended up not getting into smoke until I woke up from my nap a little bit ago. The wave feeling was very nice. Kinda like sitting on a surfboard waiting for the next set, just feeling the light swells, the breeze and the sunshine.

Tangwena

Veteran
Next time I crack open the vac bag I’ll take a pic for you. They came out really cool looking, it’s interesting the different colors that develop on them during the process.
Towards the 12:30-1pm time frame I did have a heavy sleepiness come on that led to a killer couple hour nap. Could have been the work week finally catching up to me but I feel like the cob piece I ate definitely contributed to my sleepiness.

As far as my tolerance, it’s at the pain in the butt level these days. I had 6 of my seasoned friends completely white/green passing around the second bowl of my KA5H. I ended up smoking another bowl just to myself while giggling at them.

I am massively trying to cut back smoking and eating pieces of cob may just be my ticket. I felt great and very positive all morning and ended up not getting into smoke until I woke up from my nap a little bit ago. The wave feeling was very nice. Kinda like sitting on a surfboard waiting for the next set, just feeling the light swells, the breeze and the sunshine.

So cool I had a great laugh at your friends expense reminded me of me some 50 years ago.
I landed in London flying South African airways straight from Malawi via Jo Burg I had 6 solid Malawi cobs to swap for acid with some friends in London.
Anyway we were just getting ready to hit a small joint when these gangsters turned up with the acid to trade.
The main super cool dude and his hangers on, girlfriends ect and a big gorilla of a stand over man in case things went wrong.
This was the 70's London was THE place to be, for me anyway ha ha.
So the super cool dude says BA! lets have a Chilum, some kind of pipe thing it looked like the neck off of a broken bottle.
Anyway he helps himself to a big chunk of cob grinds it up and stuffs it in the pipe lit it and took a big lung full then passed it the next person as it made its way around the circle of eager super cool people.
One by one they lay back looking at the ceiling going WOW man this stuff is amazing then passed out ha ha.
The whole lot of them were just staring wide eyed at the ceiling including the gorilla. I could have walked out with the acid and the pot and never seen them again.
Instead I just sat there smoking my pin joint and waited as they came round one by one.
The cool dude look real sheepish after that we did the trade and they left.
After they had gone my South African friends and I dropped a few micro dots in a bottle of cider lit another joint and had a bloody good night ha ha.
Such good memories ha ha.

Last edited:

Mallitlahuani

It doesn't look like mold can you post some good close ups of the whole cob just hi resolution normal pics I will soon tell from them.

took me awhile but i got high definition pictures of the possibly mouldy cob

Attachments

• photo2064540.jpg
    photo2064540.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 25
  • photo2064539.jpg
    photo2064539.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 21
  • photo2064541.jpg
    photo2064541.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 23
  • photo2064542.jpg
    photo2064542.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 23
  • photo2064543.jpg
    photo2064543.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 22
  • photo2064544.jpg
    photo2064544.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 21

Mallitlahuani

I made this cob with humid jack herrer in the middle as a dense core and some dryer jamaican on the outside, smoke of each was quite diffrent, the jack herrer was more of a up high while the jamaican felt stonyer. The wrap you see in the picture was a strip from a banana flower bunch and felt like some kind of leather, seemed to work better for me than either corn husk or banana bark. cobs are allmost 2 and half months old

Mallitlahuani

I made this cob with humid jack herrer in the middle as a dense core and some dryer jamaican on the outside, smoke of each was quite diffrent, the jack herrer was more of a up high while the jamaican felt stonyer. The wrap you see in the picture was a strip from a banana flower bunch and felt like some kind of leather, seemed to work better for me than either corn husk or banana bark. cobs are allmost 2 and half months old

Attachments

• photo2064545.jpg
    photo2064545.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 27
  • photo2064546.jpg
    photo2064546.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 22
  • photo2064547.jpg
    photo2064547.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 16
  • photo2064549.jpg
    photo2064549.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 22
  • photo2064548.jpg
    photo2064548.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 18
  • photo2064550.jpg
    photo2064550.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 23
  • photo2064551.jpg
    photo2064551.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 20
  • photo2064552.jpg
    photo2064552.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 22
  • photo2064556.jpg
    photo2064556.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 15
  • photo2064555.jpg
    photo2064555.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 28
  • photo2064554.jpg
    photo2064554.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 19
  • photo2064553.jpg
    photo2064553.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 19
  • photo2064557.jpg
    photo2064557.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 15
  • photo2064558.jpg
    photo2064558.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 25

Tangwena

Veteran
took me awhile but i got high definition pictures of the possibly mouldy cob

From what I can see my friend thats looks mold free. Mold when it occurs is very easy to see and looks just like mold you cant mistake it for anything else.
Dry that and either re seal it in a vacuum bag to age or store or use it as is it looks fine to me my friend.

Tangwena

Veteran

That looks very nice it should be just fine to use as is or vacuum seal it to store it.
Its interesting how the cure effects different strains isn't it.
You can end up growing something you never dreamed of growing because the high cobbed is so unexpected. I know I def have a very short list of prefered plants based solely on their effects cobbed.
It will be interesting to see what these buds come out like Mulanje x Malawi Ethiopian they look very promising but you dont know until they are cured.
I made four 2oz cobs from that plant alone.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0757.JPG Views:	0 Size:	116.4 KB ID:	17920378
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0757.JPG Views:	0 Size:	116.4 KB ID:	17920378
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0770.JPG Views:	0 Size:	167.0 KB ID:	17920380
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0770.JPG Views:	0 Size:	167.0 KB ID:	17920380

grayeyes

Tangwena,

Thanks for the pictures above. I have an 18 wk in flower Malawi that from your pictures I can judge probably need another week or two since they don't have the tricome production that you harvested. I had seen other pictures on here of plants that were almost pure white but that has to be a fluke. I know from breaking off a piece of one of the flowers that this is stony Malawi so like I said I will harvest before too long.

I will be following your instructions on cobbing very carefully as I would love to try the process and the results.

Thanks for your posts.

Tangwena

Veteran
Tangwena,

Thanks for the pictures above. I have an 18 wk in flower Malawi that from your pictures I can judge probably need another week or two since they don't have the tricome production that you harvested. I had seen other pictures on here of plants that were almost pure white but that has to be a fluke. I know from breaking off a piece of one of the flowers that this is stony Malawi so like I said I will harvest before too long.

I will be following your instructions on cobbing very carefully as I would love to try the process and the results.

Thanks for your posts.

Thanks for your kind words my friend and best of luck with your cobbing.
The amount of resin doesn't matter that much as its the quality of the resin thats important. I have had Malawi plants with very little visible resin that have fantastic highs so dont feel you have a less potent plant.
Also dont look for amber in Malawi go by the flowering and smell if you wait for amber resin it will be very stony, white or opaque resin is best for cobbing as the cure will mature the resin from there.
I prefer a more trippy energetic high which is what I get from the milky resin once cured this way.
Best of luck please post some pictures of your buds its easier to tell from them.

dreaded

Hello Tangwena, hope all is well. I found a yogurt maker...temp range 20c-55c, shouldn't that be good for the sweat & the 7 day storage? The food dehydrator temp doesn't get low enough for the 7 day storage, yogurt maker can do both temps. :chin:

Tangwena

Veteran
Hello Tangwena, hope all is well. I found a yogurt maker...temp range 20c-55c, shouldn't that be good for the sweat & the 7 day storage? The food dehydrator temp doesn't get low enough for the 7 day storage, yogurt maker can do both temps. :chin:

Hi my friend that sounds perfect I wish mine went that low the unit I have is fixed at 40c.
Lucky I have other ways to achieve those temps but that is perfect you should enjoy great results with that and it enables you to play around with differing temps which is a def plus.