What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seeds, Soil and 16 Square Feet

Siskiyou

Veteran
Those beavers are something to dream about. Happy healthy plants bud!!!! Great pictures.

Hatch, thanks again for your encouragements on my new endeavor (this thread).

Played with a different camera the past couple days, and although I haven't quite got the White Balance settings to do what I like, it does have a nice lens for a pocket size camera.

The first two images are the same capture, the second one is just a tight crop. This is LC @ 44 days flowering.

picture.php

picture.php

Sunshine Daydream 4 @ 32 days
picture.php
picture.php

A side bud of SD1 @ 32 days
picture.php

Last edited:

Siskiyou

Veteran
Getting closer on the white balance with this camera. This was taken under hps and was cropped, but colors and tone are original shot.

Lucky Charms flower day 45

picture.php

Exposure isn't quite right, but darkening the image one step just dulled it.

Siskiyou

Veteran
Watching Sunshine Daydream bloom is very enjoyable. Here are a few shots from day 33 of flowering.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Siskiyou

Veteran
Looks like you almost got that camera dialed in. Love the last pic

Pictures are heck a lot better than mine come out.

I think I will keep this camera after all. At the end of my first set of photos with the new camera I was ready to return it. It didn't do what I wanted it to do at all. I hated the color of the "tungsten" preset on white balance, which had worked moderately well for HPS photos with other cameras. The auto-focus was horrible at moderate zoom and close range, which was how I had learned to shoot macros in the past.

Then I tried the manual preset for white balance, which uses a white piece of paper to get a reading of ambient light and makes adjustments from there. Oh yeah.

Things seemed overexposed in macro, so i reduced the exposure by half a notch. better.

The biggest difference with this camera, however, is that it likes to shoot macros in wide angle, with the lens right up close to the subject. this is completely opposite of my SLR and my old point-and-shoot which could only focus close-up with a moderate telephoto (which i think is still the conventional wisdom regarding macros).

Since I use the same settings every time I shoot under HPS, I was also very happy to find out that the presets in Program mode are still there after turning the camera off and on. With my old main camera I had to start from scratch each session.

With this new point-and-shoot, once i have the desired settings I can use Auto mode for most everywhere else, and Program mode for HPS, just flip the switch. When I switch to a different white balance preset (say "fluorescent") will my custom presets be remembered?

Siskiyou

Veteran
Additions to the worm bin this week include coffee grounds, leaves & trimmings, pecan biochar, tomato scraps, aloe vera, rice hulls, goopy dregs of a batch of ACT, and a handful of small black lava rock (a new addition).

Siskiyou

Veteran
At 39 days of flowering the Sunshine Daydream girls are beginning to really show their individuality.

SD1 is tall and long branched. Extreme vigor. Even her clones were the first to show roots. Her top is within inches of the glass of my hood, and she likes it.

picture.php
picture.php

SD2 is slender but covered in resin.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Siskiyou

Veteran
SD3 catching up with the others

picture.php
picture.php

SD4 The shortest plant with thicker, rounder buds

picture.php
picture.php

SD4 in the foreground. Behind her on the left is SD2 and on the right is SD3
picture.php

pickledLSD

Where do you get your rice hulls? Been looking for a replacement for perlite in my mix. Our soil mixtures and additives are fairly similar. Can't wait to throw in some rice hulls to lighten things up a bit. Care to share the details of your ACT? Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

Siskiyou

Veteran
Where do you get your rice hulls? Been looking for a replacement for perlite in my mix. Our soil mixtures and additives are fairly similar. Can't wait to throw in some rice hulls to lighten things up a bit. Care to share the details of your ACT? Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

I got rice hulls at a grow shop in town. There may be cheaper sources. I'm also pretty sure I saw them at buildasoil.com but I don't remember the price.
Pumice is also a great replacement for perlite.

My ACT is very simple.

2 gallons water
a few tablespoons of molasses
1/2 to 1 cup EWC

I have thrown in a pinch of kelp meal or rock dust on occasion.

Siskiyou

Veteran
This is a look at one of the the DB4 clones a few days ago. The clones were taken from a plant 44 days into flowering (on 10/17). So anyway, that can be done.

picture.php
picture.php