What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Clone then flower, or flower then clone?

funker

I'm restarting from seed, and the first time ever where I'm going to be taking clones from my own garden (!). I have two options:

1. Start sexing my parent plants, then after verification take clones or
2. Take a lot of clones, then sex the parents, then use the best clones as moms

I really am not working with enough space to do what I want, to take clones, then sex to determine the parentage. Any advice? I don't want to hurt my plants TOO much through flowering-revegging.

Thanks!

-funker

Last edited:
G

Up to u

Up to u

hi funker it's up to you i normaly put to flower then clone saves time in the long run you can clone without stress up to 2 weeks into flower and by 2 weeks you're plants should have shown sex so you can clone just fem's! :) but as i say it's up to you!
hope it helps
DC.

G

Take a cutting or two from each, then after they root, Flower. You can grow up a clone to be a mum. This seems the most 'time effective' way for me to find nice mums...

edit: Love the playing card idea... :D

racketeer

Card trick sound pretty cool, I'm too cheap and just use paper and the strain name and put a number to them.

I clone before I throw them into bloom, but again it's up to you.

The Dog

I think the teflon method looks great . Less wasted time waiting to see what it is. Then the potential root bound issues are eliminated , for the mostpart. Looks like a winner. I will try that with my new WR/ Lifesaver grow. Thanks and good growing.

Plants don't recover well after they start flowering, so take cuttings prior to flowering if possible. I like to use a perlite/vermiculite mix in 16oz cups inside a 10gallon aquarium w/ plexiglass lid under floros, not much space needed.

If this is your first cloning adventure I would go by the book like Teflon said. Why add an extra possibility of potential complications to your first cutting session. Top them in veg and clone the top. You'll add branch sites to clone later on the keepers. It only takes a week or so to root the top and another week or so to determin sex (veg them a week and have a small but respectable pre-harvest).

Last edited: