What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rockwool conditioning

Since rockwool comes with lime dust one it from the factory which is alkaline, it needs to be conditioned. like 4.5ph for 48hrs.

I was wondering if after the rockwool has been conditioned, can it be used weeks/months later?

Or

Would you have to re condition again rite before grow?

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
Rinsed rockwool can be dried and reused but waiting until ready before rinsing breaks up the rockwool less.

A day's watering after the plant is put in rinses the cubes just fine but if worries about the first hours in the rockwool haunt you...
Adding 10 ml of pH up to four gallons of water fixes the initial pH and is used in the garden here.

But rinsing with plain water, poured through without any soak time, has yielded identical plants every time.
My habit of watering new plants every three to five hours keeps the rockwool correct even without prior rinsing.

Old rockwool that has not dried takes on a skunky odor and tends to get mushy if handled a lot. In an emergency I used some year old rockwool that the roots from the last plant were mostly removed.
The new plant grew OK, no special problems.

azad

Buzkashi
Veteran
^ He's right.
picture.php