What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Treating Cancer with Cannabis - patient is 7 year old Boxer Dog

jeanj

My boxer was diagnosed with a grade 3 mast cell tumor after a lump was removed from his ear July 1st. It was the only lump and they got clean margins. He was put on Benadryl then taken off even tho she said there was a good chance it could spread. We put him back on two weeks ago when he developed another lump. And then added Tagamet a week ago. It continued to increase in size so I researched cannabis and made some RSO Monday. They say if you stop the Benadryl/Tagamet it may make things worse. Can he be on the RSO with the Benadryl/Tagamet or should he taper off those and only use the RSO? He started RSO Monday night has had three doses and seems to be tolerating it well.

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
Benadryl and Tagamet do not treat cancer, just pain, inflamation and allergic reaction.
They are "comfort" meds.
There is no conflict with RSO and their effect should be additive.

Be very careful when ramping up the dosage.
Our "poi" dog loses her appetite if she gets too much too soon.

Carry on and please keep us posted.

jeanj

Thank you for the quick reply! there are numerous forums where people talk about shrinking mast cell tumors with the benadryl/tagament combo. Chemo was our only other option from the vet and we did not want to poison him. I may just stop those and stick with the RSO--they dont really seem to be helping anyway. Do you have experience with mast cell tumors specifically? The one he has now is under the skin, so a topical application wouldnt help or would it? thanks again!

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
Shrinking?! I'll have to research that.

I know that the combination helps prevent metastasis, as does Prednisone.

As dogs evolved, the mast cells job was to deter parasites.
In modern times they are under-worked.

When they go cancerous any irritation kicks them into gear and they grow and spread.
That is why surgery can be counterproductive.

It does seem that topical application can be effective, but if it's in place the dog can reach to lick, the risk of overdosage is high.
Will it be effective? A lot depends on the age of the dog.
For a young dog, it is a good bet.
However, once a dog nears the end of it's normal lifespan treatment gets more difficult and prognosis is not good.

Good luck and Aloha,
Weeze

sadpanda

It does seem that topical application can be effective, but if it's in place the dog can reach to lick, the risk of overdosage is high.
perhaps mix in something that the dog doesn't like. I know nothing about this so had to google it, but I had heard a long time ago of "Bitrex" (actual non-brand name Denatonium) as being "the most bitter compound known", which is added to things to prevent people eating them. It has a good safety profile and no known long term health risks... it just tastes really, really bad! Which is great cos doggy will only lick that once! and then you can get maximal topical use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denatonium
In 1995, the U.S. state of Oregon required that denatonium benzoate be added to products containing sweet-tasting ethylene glycol and methanol such as antifreeze and windshield washer fluid to prevent poisonings of children and animals.
Im sure there are other things you could add to deter a dog but i've got no idea, so if you could source some Bitrex it seems the way to go, just search ebay or whatever for either "bitrex" or "Denatonium". Looks like you can get 5gms denatonium benzoate salt off ebay for about $15, and 5 grams would probably last a lifetime lol, you don't need much!!!

ITS PROBABLY A GOOD IDEA TO HAVE PLENTY OF WATER AT HAND FOR WHEN THE DOG FIRST (and only time!) LICKS IT!! :hotbounce

For example here's a doggy paw "Antibacterial spray with Bitrex®":
pawspray7d30.jpg

ic

Last edited:

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
Good idea!
I use "Granny's bitter apple spray". to stop them from chewing their hair off of hot spots.

With my big dog I measure out an oral dose, then smear it on her mammary tumors.
She licks it off.
Two birds. . .
:)

jeanj

thanks for those tips, it is on the back of his head under his ear, so he cant lick it. He just scratched it tho. it bled a little and I tried some oil but it seems to bother him, he doesnt like anything in his fur. husband wants to take him to the vet to have it removed Monday. It can take a few weeks to decrease in size? Should it at least stop growing now? He's only 4 years old. Still eats, plays--no signs of sickness except a lump.

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
If not removed, at least biopsied.
Best to know exactly what you are dealing with before attempting any treatment.

Aloha,
Weeze

jeanj

it is cancer, they thought it may be an abscess, but now he has another one that is ulcerating. We switched to a higher CBD oil (Swiss-Tsu = THC 5.3%/CBD 52.4%), but they only had one gram and it's almost gone.

They have a 1:1 at 26% oil, would that be too high in THC?

Another dispensary has Sour Tsunami Rosin (2.58 THC/64 CBD). Can you melt rosin to ingest like the oil or is that completely different?

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
They have a 1:1 at 26% oil, would that be too high in THC?.

No. It would be about right.
I avoid butane extractions altogether. I find them to be ineffective for surface cancers where solvent derived oil works well.
Just my experience, I could be wrong.

theJointedOne

Veteran
Remember that raw cannabis infused dog treats are a wonderful medicine for our four legged friends. Just remember to always use a high cbd, low THC flower to make your coconut oil, and start with small doses at first.

My recipe was

-High cbd cannabis infused coconut oil, NOT strained of the plant matter (so they eat the flower too)
-hemp seeds
-flax seed
-oats
-peanut butter

No need to bake, just make sure its not a runny consistency and they hold together, like raw cookie dough. Roll into bite sized balls and keep in fridge or freezer till needed.

Remember also dogs have no idea about "getting high" so giving them oral doses of high THC can be quite scary for them and they have no idea why they are feeling what they are. A low (less than 5%) THC/ high CBD flower variety is always best in my opinion.

jeanj

Thank you both for the info. I also have a stupid question so forgive my ignorance. What is the difference between the oil and rosin? I saw online you get rosin by heating and pressing without any solvent. And the oil is extracted by way of a solvent/butane/co2. Wouldn't the end result be the same? I only see that people smoke rosin but don't understand why one couldn't ingest it and get the same benefit as the oil.

kdownknee

ANAL SAC TUMOR- GREAT DANE

ANAL SAC TUMOR- GREAT DANE

Hi Everyone,

I live in Michigan and my 8 year old male Great Dane, Tucker was just diagnosed with a anal sac tumor. It is very large right now and and causing him problems to defecate. He is taking laxatives right now until we can get into the onocologist at Blue Pearl Vet Clinic.

I AM VERY NEW TO CANNABIS. I have never grown it or altered it for food and etc.

I would like to know if anyone can suggest what I can give to help Tucker and where I can get the best "stuff". Administration, strains and dosing? Recipes? Anything would be helpful.

Tucker has IBD/Crohns
He is 8 yrs old
He is my baby ;)
He is 128 lbs right now
Left anal sac tumor is about the size of a golf ball

Anyone out there who knows this science that would be so kind enough to help us, I would really really appreciate it!

Thank you,

Kim

kdownknee

Hi Weezard,

I have a blue 8 year old male great dane, named Tucker. Tucker just got diagnosed with a anal sac tumor. I want to treat this holistically if possible. I am a total newbie and I am wondering where I can find and order the best "stuff" for Tucker. Any recipes, suggestions, dosing recommendations, best administration options and/or any advice would be amazing.

This news has been devastating to me. I am also wondering if I should have it removed, and then give him this stuff? I am not sure what would be best for him. Here is some info about Tucker:

8 yr old great dane male
last year he had a knee replacement TPLO (he did great and is great now)
He has IBD/Crohns- I only manage the symptoms when they occur with flagyl and prednisone. I don't like giving it to him every day. He shows symptoms maybe 1x p/m.
Tucker is in good health otherwise
Tucker weighs 128.5 lbs today.

Weezard, I would greatly appreciate any guidance or help that you have time to offer us. He is my baby and best friend.

Thanks, Kim (in Grand Rapids, MI)

kdownknee

Hi Weezard,

I am very new to this site. So if you already responded to this message, I apologize. This site is a bit confusing.

I have a blue 8 year old male great dane, named Tucker. Tucker just got diagnosed with a anal sac tumor. I want to treat this holistically if possible. I am a total newbie and I am wondering where I can find and order the best "stuff" for Tucker. Any recipes, suggestions, dosing recommendations, best administration options and/or any advice would be amazing.

This news has been devastating to me. I am also wondering if I should have it removed, and then give him this stuff? I am not sure what would be best for him. Here is some info about Tucker:

8 yr old great dane male
last year he had a knee replacement TPLO (he did great and is great now)
He has IBD/Crohns- I only manage the symptoms when they occur with flagyl and prednisone. I don't like giving it to him every day. He shows symptoms maybe 1x p/m.
Tucker is in good health otherwise
Tucker weighs 128.5 lbs today.

There is a CBD oil dealer here in Michigan that is recommending me human version of "Tasty CBD Oil Tinctures" a 1 oz bottle and half a syringe to start with. A full syringe is 150mg. Does this sound right to you?

Weezard, I would greatly appreciate any guidance or help that you have time to offer us. He is my baby and best friend.

Thanks, Kim (in Grand Rapids, MI)

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
Sorry kdown, just saw those.
The bump was for an earlier poster.

I'm sure your vet has mentioned that 8 is quite old for a purebred Dane.
Their lifespan is 6 to 8 years.

Anal sac tumors are difficult.
More so, in light of this;

"with a anal sac tumor. It is very large "
They tend towards metastasis while still quite small.
I really hate to have to say this but his prognosis is not good.
Still, CBD oil won't hurt Tucker.
And should it put this tumor into remission, we are still looking at very old dog, yah.
Do what you can to make him comfortable. And enjoy your remaining time with him.
Prepare yourself to let him go if it gets painful.
Have a nice long talk with him about it tonight. (That's for you, not for him).

I do know how you feel, most of us here do.
But you may have to do what's best for Tucker.

Aloha,
Weeze

mdd4890

We cured my mates mothers breast cancer from our grows' waste in 2006. I have been trying to tell people this shit for years now..Diet also is important and tell your friend to get fungiperfecti.com mycomedicinals or some sort of good equivalent or if he can get reishi mushrooms make strong tea daily. The mushrooms kick up the t-cell response to recognize and cleanup cancerous cells, the diet creates conditions that don't suit them and the cannabanoids trigger cancer-cell starvation/death. Hit the multi-pronged approach for the best chances. I'd take a gamble and say that IMO the chances of surviving cancers with this approach are better than surviving CHEMO or radio-therapy.

And to echo trichrider above, I had a mole on my face that I had for years, then it grew quickly over a year or two into something an inch wide, blotchy, multicolored, pussy and that dodgy shit. Looked just like a skin cancer I had biopsied and removed a decade or more earlier. I made all sort of cannabis oils and tested them on it whenever I remembered and the more I remembered the more I got results. It took about 2 to three months in total to disappear and now maybe two years later it almost looks like normal skin at that spot but without a mole I had half my life! I had many witnesses to this and although I never consulted a Doc I did see my GP after and show him a year ago and he was astounded. For the last year I had virgin new white skin that I put almost daily holy oil on for sunscreening and now it is healed.

Black Salve might be better for a mole at least till it drops off then follow with cannabis oil to heal and hopefully kill any remainder cancer cells.

Black salve is safe for pets too if it can be covered with a bandage.

Vivababe

I have a 60lbs 6 years old boxer with oral tumor cancer. What mg THC did you apply daily? Did you use CBD as well? Orally? Please help me with advise. Thank you!

Vivababe

Hello Weeze,
I m just kindly reaching out to you. I am new here. I have a 60lbs 6 years old boxer Lola with oral tumor. First she had X-rays done and lung and GI Track was clear cancer was not spread on 2/18. She had surgery after about 3 weeks ago but it was not successful because there was no clear margin and by now the tumor is back. Lola also has thyroid problem she takes L thyroxin 4mg twice a day.
My RSO details: THC is 77.81% total THC 389mg 0.5g RSO and CBD Source Tincture 500mg
I am doing third of a pipe CBD however I am not certain about the dosage or if it is better to dilute the RSO or not. I am here to ask for suggestions for treatment. I want to cure her cancer. I am doing daily notes on her.
I started her yesterday evening on 1/4 rice RSO with CBD and she seemed out of it and she throw up a bit. She went to bed fine and this morning she did not eat.
I gave her 1/4 rice RSO and CBD again at 8am and 12 hours later I just got home and Lola is lively and ate dinner. I am doing 2 times a day.
Would it be better to dilute the RSO in coconut oil and give it to her like that?
Would it be easier to measure the dosage? What are your thoughts on this?
When should I give her food? Before RSO and CBD?
Do you think we can win this fight?
Thank you for all your help!

Latest posts

Latest posts