What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ants (and Rove Beetles ala Peter Sellers)

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am often amazed by ant behavior. At my farm in Canada we had built a laboratory onto the house using pine and cedar. I was sitting in there one day and could hear the ants talking to each other in the wall with clicks. We found their path, which was a garden hose stretched across the yard and point of entry, a small hole in the old cement. We killed a bunch of the ants and spread the bodies along the hose, sprayed some toxic shit inside the hole and plugged the hole with foam.

This diplomacy worked. They moved out of the lab [obviously more cracks and holes] and mostly left the house alone.

When I moved into my Mexican dwelling, the ants were everywhere inside and out. My friend helped me with the initial nuking. We sprayed Raid Max (heavy shit) in the house and along window sills. That was months ago. The door is open all day but there is no sill anyway and for the most part they stay out of the house (so far). They seem completely cognizant of my boundaries. In return, they get a supply of water from me when I water and nutrients from the compost bin, etc.

Two groups have ventured into the kitchen and I put out a mix of sugar, water and boric acid. Once they realized this was poison which was killing their babies, they stopped coming in. This is not a for sure treaty but it seems to be effective so far.

The following article discusses evolutionary disguises which allow rove beetles to enter ant colonies to feast on their young.

https://www.cell.com/action/showImagesData?pii=S0960-9822(17)30198-7

Rico Swazi

mutualistic and symbiotic relationships always win
especially long term whereas (heavy shit) is often temporary
Nice one on the rove beetles

Edit- reaching a truce of sorts with the ant colony seems logical for one such as yourself
ants seem to be very aware of human activity and compensate accordingly

Last edited:

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
This documentary by David Attenborough about the largest ant super colony and their communication and territorial behavior is great!

Attenborough and the Empire of the Ants released december 6th 2017 (59 minutes):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdPsVpD6b08

Actually some quantifiable and qualifiable observations might be the first thing to state. I'm not sure that 'nasty leftovers' and 'shit' fulfills either.

I try really hard to maintain a professional/credible persona normally but my humble/relaxed nature has me saying "shit" alot haha. In the heavy metals in organics thread you posted that and it sunk into me deep. Seeing you say it a few times above put me at ease a little lol.

Cvh

Supermod
Ants communicate with biochemical signals they leave around their trails if I'm not mistaken.
If so, somebody should figure out what the ants biochemical signal is for 'this is a no go area'. So the molecule can be synthesized and we can have a spray that we can use in our houses to mark it as off limits for the ants.

Rico Swazi

Disturb those little guys and they may leave and take their shit with them

from the same paper I linked earlier

A fourth interaction was noted after we unintentionally disturbed ants in some domatia. Before recording ant behaviour, various ways to fit the endoscope within domatia were tried, by drilling a hole in the wall and positioning the endoscope tip with precision. These domatia were disturbed more than the others, in which only one hole was drilled and quickly covered by a piece of leaf taped around the domatium. These domatia, in which ants were more intensively disturbed, were deserted by the ants a few days later, and the fungal patch also disappeared. No dead hyphae were ever detected in these domatia, whereas hyphae were present at the time of intrusion. This, in addition to the capacity of ants to chop pieces of fungus, strongly suggests that the ants can entirely remove the fungal patch.

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
Symbioses

Symbioses

Quote from article: "Symbioses between plants and fungi, fungi and ants, and ants and plants all play important roles in ecosystems. Symbioses involving all three partners appear to be rare."

Last Spring I had an indoor grow ruined by ants being driven inside by rain.

I noticed some in the grow room (recycled organic soil) but didn't think anything of it, until...
there were lots of them all over the soil and they had tunneled underneath and I thought had started reproducing 'cause I also saw lots of tiny eggs on the soil surface.

Soon enough however, those 'eggs' turned into mushroom caps and continued to grow.

The mushrooms looked identical to the ones that had sprung up outside after the rain.

I poured some B.t into the colony entrance which drove the ants out or killed them and pulled out the mushrooms but my plants started to wilt and die.

When I performed the autopsy the mushrooms had fully colonized the subsoil and were thriving.

h.h.

Veteran
Rove Beatle. Peter Sellers.

You have to be in your sixties to understand.

I'm in with the in crowd.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
What I need to know is will ants kill rove beetles and green lacewing larvae in an indoor environment?

Rico Swazi

adult rove beetles , no,

eggs possibly

ants will kill or drive off lacewing/ladybug larvae to protect aphids and/or their food supply

A good way to get rid of ants is to give them water ,food , and shelter outside away from the house.

did Inspector Clouseau ever dress up like an ant?

Rico Swazi

Ever see the movie 'Them!' ? its a movie about irradiated ants
classic movie right up there with 'The Day of the Triffids'

I was 10 yrs old in the mid sixties when I watched the movie THEM!
nuclear bomb drills (duck and cover) were commonplace

I never looked or treated ants or any other insect the same after that.

been hedging my bets for when it gets a lil crazy with the crazies who have their finger on the button ever since
live and let live and all

Rico Swazi

okay, something little more modern and better shower scene

Starship Troopers

moral of the story-
don't piss off the bugs!

moses wellfleet

Veteran
I read somewhere about baiting the ants out the house, providing an alternative food source, win win situation... blah blah blah.

Really though if I knew how to do it I would definitely rather go that route!

I will look that movie up!!

Rico Swazi

Been a win win for me and it doesn't take much to keep Them! happy. ;)

I provide a small pile of leaves and dry grass clippings with some cardboard to shed the rain, they make their nest then help me pollinate my parsnips.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

interesting stuff here (to me)

Premise of the study: Interactions between plants and ants abound in nature and have significant consequences for ecosystem functioning. Recently, it has been suggested that nectar‐foraging ants transport microorganisms to flowers; more specifically, they transport yeasts, which can potentially consume sugars and alter nectar composition. Therefore, ants could indirectly change nectar sugar profile, an important floral feature involved in the plant–pollinator mutualism. But this novel role for ants has never been tested. We here investigate the effects of nectarivorous ants and their associated yeasts on the floral nectar sugar composition of an ant‐pollinated plant.
https://bsapubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.3732/ajb.1200626

endophytic yeasts? I am willing to bet on it

Rico Swazi

Terro works but there are cheaper solutions as MM stated in the OP(terro's main ingredient is boric acid)
Two groups have ventured into the kitchen and I put out a mix of sugar, water and boric acid. Once they realized this was poison which was killing their babies, they stopped coming in. This is not a for sure treaty but it seems to be effective so far.
Then there is this from the article I linked

Interactions between plants and ants abound in nature and have significant consequences for ecosystem functioning
what about the interactions between ants and humans?

The yeasts and bacteria they bring into our lives have significant consequences in our ecosystem too.
What I am saying is,for the most part, kids that play in the dirt grow up healthier than those who don't.

ants are the perfect 'dirt' delivery mechanism when you think about it.
By dirt I mean bacteria yeasts and fungi

live and let live?