What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Preventing hermaphrodism in feminised plants

kukac

Hello

I try ask this question in one thread, but my reply is not visible. So, my apologies if this is dumb question and i use new thread to ask

Im reading RCC Marijuana Botany and i found something interesting and maybe usefull.

"If the selected staminate parent drops pollen when there are only a few primordial flowers on the pistillate seed parent, then only a few seeds will form in the basal flowers and the rest of the flower cluster will be seedless. Early fertilization might also help fix the sex of the pistillate plant, helping to prevent hermaphrodism."

I dont like feminised seeds and plants, but in guerilla style they might be usefull. Less plants, less watering...

So, question is: if i polinate one flower on feminised plant in early stage of flowering, would that help preventing hèrmaphrodism and fix female sex in plant?

If yes, how will that affect final yield and potency

Thank you

Cheers

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Not sure.

The standard information available is to stress test the genetics first, breed out any hermaphroditic traits, and then use these genetics to produce your feminized strains.

The reason most people do not like feminized seed is due to lazy seed production. It takes significant time and resources to locate stable genetics, resources a great many seed producers are not spending.

I'm a huge fan of feminized seed. Yes, it makes a big difference when you do not want males in your grow.

kukac

Maybe my upper statement sounds a little harsh. It would be better to say that I like regular plants and everything that that kind of growing carries.

I had feminized plants indoor several times and each time I had hermaphrodites. Not a big deal. Some nanners at the end of flowering. But in each grow there were at least two plants. Then I have to look at each plant in detail ... I like to work with regular

While I was reading RCC this question came to me.
Maybe I try one feminized grow and see what happens

Cheers

Douglas.Curtis

Maybe my upper statement sounds a little harsh. It would be better to say that I like regular plants and everything that that kind of growing carries.
Perfectly understandable, considering how the industry has treated growers. No worries. :)

I had feminized plants indoor several times and each time I had hermaphrodites. Not a big deal. Some nanners at the end of flowering. But in each grow there were at least two plants. Then I have to look at each plant in detail ... I like to work with regular
The herms you describe are common when using the (formerly popular) method called rodelization. This is where you use herm plants which sprout male flowers during late-late harvest season. The goal (I'm assuming) was to create femmed plants which were harvested before herms show.

Those strains used herm genetics on purpose. :(

While I was reading RCC this question came to me.
Maybe I try one feminized grow and see what happens

Cheers
It's an interesting question, and one I'd also like to see more information on. :)

Choose a reputable breeder, do some research, you'll be pleasantly surprised with the quality of their femmed seeds. :) Things have changed quite a bit with femming over the years. The link in my signature file is a thread I started on an STS femming method. Works a treat. :tiphat:

T

Teddybrae

It is my firm conviction after producing my own seed for many years that no matter what a Grower may do to his plants ... if Hermaphrodism (sorry not a word) exists within the strain it will re appear somewhere at the worst possible time.

"If the selected staminate parent drops pollen when there are only a few primordial flowers on the pistillate seed parent, then only a few seeds will form in the basal flowers and the rest of the flower cluster will be seedless. Early fertilization might also help fix the sex of the pistillate plant, helping to prevent hermaphrodism."

So, question is: if i polinate one flower on feminised plant in early stage of flowering, would that help preventing hèrmaphrodism and fix female sex in plant?

Douglas.Curtis

Yeah.... I'm going to agree with using stable genetics for seed making.

Light cycle changes
Low pH
High pH
Root bound
High fertilizer load
Heat

The list of specific triggers is different by strain, gotta remove em all. ;)

kukac

It is my firm conviction after producing my own seed for many years that no matter what a Grower may do to his plants ... if Hermaphrodism (sorry not a word) exists within the strain it will re appear somewhere at the worst possible time.

I'm not sure what you mean by "it will re appear somewhere at the worst possible time".
Is it related to a polinated plant or to the next generations (in which I have no interest)?

shaggyballs

Veteran
I think this is what he was saying:
It could skip a generation but the intersex gene will be there dormant or not.

kukac

Thanks.
That is good enough for me.
I probably did not ask the question precisely enough. I m not so good in english.
Next generations are not important to me.
I want to plant some plants outdoor and lightly polinate them in the early stage of flowering.
And hope that they will not get hermie :)

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I have one hermie Honduran. The balls showed up a week before the flowers did. Light stress was the cause I think.

I have some swazi pollen I'll apply and see if it works.

Douglas.Curtis

I'm not sure what you mean by "it will re appear somewhere at the worst possible time".
Is it related to a polinated plant or to the next generations (in which I have no interest)?
So, if I'm getting this correctly, your only interest is in preventing feminized plants from turning hermie?

Yes, you'll definitely enjoy quality feminized genetics. There's no need for extra steps to ensure non-herm traits, the breeders will have culled those traits and fully tested their results. ;) (This does not mean you should not do your homework. *facepalm* Research your breeder, including grow reports. This isn't rocket science)

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I've always thought highly of you gorilla growers in wonderment of how you could grow seedless plants. I've not had a fem seed plant or clone indoors go hermi if I did my part keeping environmental aspects good and keeping LIGHT LEAKS at zero. Dont know how youall do it with that friggin moon :moon: and stars shedding light on it all.. :biggrin:..
Hermis seem almost 'supposed to be' outdoors.. Again, you guys/girls do an amazing job.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I think light leaks are an easy target. I think it's usually something else. The moon should hermie the lot, but it doesn't.

In ny case, the plant was expose8di to 12/12 so i could sex them, but rhat one plant ended up going right up against the light for two weeks. Dude didn't know enough to raise the light ffs.

Anal help is hard to find. :(

dopebeaard907

I've always thought highly of you gorilla growers in wonderment of how you could grow seedless plants. I've not had a fem seed plant or clone indoors go hermi if I did my part keeping environmental aspects good and keeping LIGHT LEAKS at zero. Dont know how youall do it with that friggin moon :moon: and stars shedding light on it all.. :biggrin:..
Hermis seem almost 'supposed to be' outdoors.. Again, you guys/girls do an amazing job.
we grew from reg seed back then but worked lines (acclimated). rarely saw hermies maybe twice that I can remember. Ive had actually only 1 that I can remember even indoors from fem seed being gsc of course.. it is natural though if you take them further than they want to go.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
At what point is a plant a Hermie vs Rodelized?

Here's an Original Glue I grew last year. This is a popcorn bud well after harvest (December).

Rodelization in action
picture.php

Douglas.Curtis

In my opinion, if it shows male flowers it is not a true female and should not be used with breeding. I believe the 'goal' of rodelization was to produce plants which only hermed long after harvest, such as your glue there. In my opinion, the 'late-harvest' timing of the herming will not stay 'late-harvest' and has the potential to show up at any time in flower with future generations.

I am not a breeder. So take what I say with a 50lb bag of salt. :D

dopebeaard907

In my opinion, if it shows male flowers it is not a true female and should not be used with breeding. I believe the 'goal' of rodelization was to produce plants which only hermed long after harvest, such as your glue there. In my opinion, the 'late-harvest' timing of the herming will not stay 'late-harvest' and has the potential to show up at any time in flower with future generations.

I am not a breeder. So take what I say with a 50lb bag of salt. :D
I agree but if your not worried about wanting to use that plant in some crosses then I imagine it wouldn't matter. No doubt you get less yield as in male parts rather than female. Also when does the plant stop focusing on the flower and move to throwing clusters? To me to breed like that would be counter productive, whats the point of having a plant hermie right before harvest? You will always have some type of outlier let alone the progeny from that might be stressed easier.