What's new

Are you for or against GMO cannabinoids? GMO CBD oil.

shaggyballs

Veteran
GMO cannabinoids and GMO hemp are a reality today.
How do you feel about it?

Would you know if you tried some already?

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
If one depends on the product produced by the commercial big guys,
then the best course is to determine methods and make an informed
decision.

Me, I'd go organic kosher.

if you grow your own, then follow your conscience.

shaggyballs

Veteran
I am pretty sure you can get yourself a felony charge for making your own CBD.

So you see Grow your own and STFU! is not that cut and dry.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
This thread is but one of a series that you have started on a similar subject. You sound like a "skipping" record! :deadhorse

St. Phatty

Genetic modification is part of life.

We are genetically modified chimpanzees.

It's who is doing the genetic modification, that matters.

It's whether you can trust them, that matters.

Monsanto-Bayer BAD. Mother Nature GOOD.

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
GMO

GMO

Let us get a few things clarified here. The text book difinition of GMO is any organism whose genetic material has been altered using genetic altering techniques.

A device called a gene gun is used to do this, which shoots a foreign DNA into another organisms DNA, changing its genetic sequencing.

I'm not sure if this has yet happened with cannabis. If someone else could chime in that knows, it would be appreciated.

I try to avoid anything that is GMO, something that is much easier said than done.

RMS

:smoweed:

Gry

Veteran
If they thought their products were safe, they would have no qualms labeling them as gmo, they would up the quality, drop the price and wait for the magic of the free market magic to happen.
Yet another example of how big corporate can't get things to work as they wish unless they are able to
stack the deck against us.

nepalnt21

FRRRRRResh!
Veteran
if there is such a thing as GMO cannabis yet, it's definitely not the norm and i'm almost 100% sure i have never been even in the same room as GMO weed.

with that said? i'd want to look at their cultivation practices (test results for contaminants like pesticides) before i decided if it was nasty... i'm not scared of GMOs per se, but i don't wanna eat round-up.

our genome has some stuff in there from horizontal gene transfer, retroviruses etc and i think we're doing just fine (aside from genetic disorders i suppose)... and that's essentially much closer to random than guided gene manipulation through genetic engineering that we do in labs.

Last edited:

Amynamous

if there is such a thing as GMO cannabis yet, it's definitely not the norm and i'm almost 100% sure i have never been even in the same room as GMO weed.

with that said? i'd want to look at their cultivation practices (test results for contaminants like pesticides) before i decided if it was nasty... i'm not scared of GMOs per se, but i don't wanna eat round-up.

our genome has some stuff in there from horizontal gene transfer, retroviruses etc and i think we're doing just fine... and that's essentially much closer to random than guided gene manipulation through genetic engineering that we do in labs.

I believe that most of the GMO crops were bred to be resistant to roundup.Although, there was the tomato with fish genes that was created in the 1980’s.
I am also more concerned with ingesting round up, as farmers seem to flood their fields with it, sometimes even on the days they harvest. To the best of my knowledge, no one has created a roundup resistant cannabis plant, and until we have real legalization, i do not think it’s worth anyone’s time.

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
This researcher doctor wanted to make a rice that has vitamin A or beta carotene like from carrots. And the short version is there were disagreements about , money or intellectual property. Spraying corn fields with cancer causing petroleum distillates which kill all bugs and beneficial plants, that is a bad case to try and make for harmless livestock or rather healthy livestock. Back to the golden rice, seems there may be more than one reason why a person would be careful about doing something like that. If it looks clearly like a weapon like killing all mosquitoes that is different to me than increase vitamin A in rice. However the idea in principle is the same be careful and keep it enclosed or do not spread it without permission stay to yourself kind of thing. Cloning sheep or whatever is probably not what people want to buy, and it doesn't work anyway. Bees and birds and rodents snakes flowers trees all part of life that does not fit with allergies or lupus or spray oil drums on food crops no doesn't work.

shaggyballs

Veteran
This researcher doctor wanted to make a rice that has vitamin A or beta carotene like from carrots. And the short version is there were disagreements about , money or intellectual property. Spraying corn fields with cancer causing petroleum distillates which kill all bugs and beneficial plants, that is a bad case to try and make for harmless livestock or rather healthy livestock. Back to the golden rice, seems there may be more than one reason why a person would be careful about doing something like that. If it looks clearly like a weapon like killing all mosquitoes that is different to me than increase vitamin A in rice. However the idea in principle is the same be careful and keep it enclosed or do not spread it without permission stay to yourself kind of thing. Cloning sheep or whatever is probably not what people want to buy, and it doesn't work anyway. Bees and birds and rodents snakes flowers trees all part of life that does not fit with allergies or lupus or spray oil drums on food crops no doesn't work.

Well said!
Thank you for the contribution.:bow:

Hempy McNoodle

GMOs are a huge biohazard and their release constitutes crimes against humanity in my opinion. Especially, when you consider corrupted court cases which establish that; if your crop is poluted with GMO pollen and you save your own seed and replant, YOU can be sued and financially ruined for patent or copyright violations, when obviously YOU are the victim. Once that pollen is released, you can't undo it.

I have seen GMO seeds for sale. They were around $25,000.

And, for those who want to conflate the term 'GMO' with the term 'selective breeding',.. We all know that GMO is 'biotech.' Anyone who fails to distinguish that is making a huge mistake. You can't mix jellyfish and rabbits through selective breeding.

Latest posts

Latest posts