What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What Size Swamp Tube?

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
Hey guys,

One of my plots is in a swamp area. This is going to be my low-maintenance plot (I've already got a few others that will require more of my attention).

I was going to build my own smart pots/swamp tubes (chicken wire frame covered with burlap fabric -- just a circle with the bottom still open) to set on too of the wet, swampy ground and fill with soil.

I was thinking of making them just a foot tall and about 3.5feet in circumference, which is only about 7 gallons of soil. My normal, in-ground holes are about 50 gallons of soil.

I figure that because the roots will be reaching down to the swampy soil beneath the homemade pots, the pots won't need to be as big to produce comparable yields (I shoot for at least 8 oz per plant, but always try for a pound or more). Is 7 gallons sufficient for a swamp tube, or do they need to be considerably bigger to meet my goals/match my 50 gallon holes?

(Keep in mind that the swamp will have the most sunlight of any of my plots, so I'm hoping that and the constant moisture will help level the playing field)

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You’ll need more than 7 gallons of soil mix to fill a 1ft tall x 3.5ft diameter container.
1cu/ft is about 7.5 gallons in volume.
That container is about 1.75 cu/ft.
V=rh

Also, the soil below the swamp tube will be relatively unavailable in a swamp. Cannabis does not like wet feet.
This leaves the swamp to only provide a water source for your ladies.

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
You’ll need more than 7 gallons of soil mix to fill a 1ft tall x 3.5ft diameter container.
1cu/ft is about 7.5 gallons in volume.
That container is about 1.75 cu/ft.
V=rh

Also, the soil below the swamp tube will be relatively unavailable in a swamp. Cannabis does not like wet feet.
This leaves the swamp to only provide a water source for your ladies.

My calculations used a circumference of 3.5ft, not diameter.

But I'm guessing it'd still be too small?

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Airy burlap would wick a bit, but the soil might wick a lot. I've never grown in tubes, but I would think a small pot (3.5 fee in circumference) the water would wick up at least 4-5 inches above the water. So if you're 12" up expect only 7 inches to grow in. I might be wrong, but I don't think you can get a pound out of that. I guess it depends on how wet your swamp is.

Can you build a mound and put your pot on top? I think that would work well.

dufous

You'd think that the plants roots would grow into the swamp soil, but they don't.

There's going to be some relationship between tube size and yield. My five gallon tubes yield two or three ounces. The 20 or 30 gallon tubes yield much more.

The soil by itself wicks up the water just fine. Even at 18 inches above the water line and even when the swamp has drained out by the end of the season.

So, I think the tubes need to be as big as your planting holes.

Being in the swamp gets the sun, the stealth and the freedom from watering.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My calculations used a circumference of 3.5ft, not diameter.

But I'm guessing it'd still be too small?
My bad... I need to read better don't I?
:laughing:

I'd call that a small container that is suitable for growing a 1/4 to 1/2 lb plant but I don't have experience w swamp tubes either.

Swamp Thang

Veteran
Hello Trubador, If you have the means to haul in a good quantity of soil, the tube will still wick up enough water from the swampy soil even if the swamp tube is as much as 3 feet tall, and 2 feet in diameter.

If your swamp water level rises and falls seasonally, then one foot height might be inadequate to ensure against flooding in high-water season. Regardless though, a good sized tube will always yield more buddage at harvest time, than a shallower and narrower tube.

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
Hello Trubador, If you have the means to haul in a good quantity of soil, the tube will still wick up enough water from the swampy soil even if the swamp tube is as much as 3 feet tall, and 2 feet in diameter.

If your swamp water level rises and falls seasonally, then one foot height might be inadequate to ensure against flooding in high-water season. Regardless though, a good sized tube will always yield more buddage at harvest time, than a shallower and narrower tube.

That's a very good point! Shit, I didn't think of that.

If the water level rises, my tubes are made of burlap and chicken wire, which water will permeate easily. That means they're even more susceptible to flooding than other containers. Water won't have to reach the top to flow into the soil high up.

Maybe make the tubes a little taller and wrap a layer of contractor bags around the wire? That will at least help keep water out.

Swamp Thang

Veteran
That's a very good point! Shit, I didn't think of that.

If the water level rises, my tubes are made of burlap and chicken wire, which water will permeate easily. That means they're even more susceptible to flooding than other containers. Water won't have to reach the top to flow into the soil high up.

Maybe make the tubes a little taller and wrap a layer of contractor bags around the wire? That will at least help keep water out.

Adding a layer of thick plastic around the wire frame will definitely prevent high flood water flows from washing away the soil in the swamp tube, and is good insurance even if such high water levels are not a common occurrence.

Best of luck with the swamp grow. I always lurk and listen to swamp grow reports in this forum, since religion demands I do so ha ha. :tiphat:

Bigbruce

I grow in a marsh/bog and use 16g muck buckets. I drill 1" holes into the bottom and 2" holes in the side for air. I find a section of bog strong enough to hold the bucket and visit in August to top dress with bloom nutes.

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
I grow in a marsh/bog and use 16g muck buckets. I drill 1" holes into the bottom and 2" holes in the side for air. I find a section of bog strong enough to hold the bucket and visit in August to top dress with bloom nutes.

How much do you typically yield from those 16g buckets?

Bigbruce

last year was my first year with these buckets and I was pulling 1/2lb with no visits or nutes.

Attachments

• pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 26

Latest posts

Latest posts