What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Opinions on freebies

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Was in a spirited conversation with several area producers last night at a cook out. We mulled around FREEBIES given out with orders. It was divided into two camps. Half said they liked "Mixed" autos or Mixed (unlabeled) photoperiods and not quite half in opinions, lesser but more vocal; the crowd wanted/preferred labeled genetics on FREEBIE .

I grow them if Mixed as a fascinating experience not knowing the strain. Often they are gifts to patients in need if a female...or pass on to someone in need....same goes for labeled FREEBIES.

Other crowd wanted/preferred labeled (hybrid names)/genetics on FREEBIE.

So, chime in, they are FREEBIES, mind you....what reasons would you want in extra to grow or pass on. The question/debate is yeah for unknown lineage or sure, knowing the strain.

Sign

For a sizeable investment in time/power, regardless of the cost of the seed, I really want to know with a reasonable degree of certainty what it is. Even "knowing" what it is still gives too much variability (see my slh grow) sometimes.

If you're trying to get rid of seeds and knowing it's a nice gesture to give a freebie with an order maybe allow someone to pick the freebie... Like 2 of x specific strain or 10 of mixed unknown.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
As long as they label the freebie, I'm cool with that. Toss it in with my purchase e.g not separate, and your an ....... <--- you know.

Spaventa

Veteran
I’ve grown some nice plants from freebies of strains I would not have chosen so I like the way it can introduce you to things you would never have tried otherwise.
I’m obsessed with a particular type of Sativa so I only really buy seeds that promise things like that but getting 7 week indicas as freebies forces me to not be so narrow minded. There are some retailers who let you pick whatever but I enjoy the mystery and surprise of the unknown and the path less trodden. As long as I know roughly what to expect of height and flower time, so I can fit it into my schedule efficiently, random is cool.

pumpkinpie eyes

Veteran
don't mind as a freebie. helpz you learn characteristics of strains. you can eye it saying, ok, maybe a northern light or haze and it'll hone skillz like chefs for good tasting palate.
ez to distinguish sat or ind.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Information is always appreciated. I too have no issues with fully labeled freebies, whether it's genetics I want or not. :)

If your process can handle the extra data, you could have an option for people to select what they want. It would also require additional resources having 2 types of freebies on hand.

insomniac_AU

From what I understand freebies are generally just older stock. There is nothing wrong with them they've just been around for a while. I like them. I've got some good stuff from freebies. All I ask is they are properly labelled.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
If someone gives me a few more than I asked for, that's great. Labeled freebies I didn't ask for, just fill my fridge up. I at least know what they are though. Unknown seed from nice weed I once smoked, ~ maybe keep that. Seeds found in the bottom of the fridge. No.

I guess I'm a guy that knows what he wants.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Generally, when freebies are given to me, I pass them on to others wanting to try a strain they've not grown, or those in need of medicine. Recall years ago buying a "Mixed bag"....I liked growing them for the quest and curiosity...seeing which unknown strain grew best.

And years before that, it was merely bag seed of some unknown brick Mexi weed (usually).

Interesting all of your input (thanks!)...many of your comments were the same as what I heard last evening.

These days, most of us like the lineage or strain names of hybrids. However, some jewels are there in those mixed bags.....same as finding a great pheno or 2 in a pack.

Flip side, a few auto breeders try to mimic, say Original Glue or GSC, and they do not come close to the real thing. So, in those instances, names are faux.

Midweek Song at one time gave you a choice when checking out what you wanted as FREEBIES. Great until charge cards were not accepted, a hefty VAT tax....haven't ordered from them in several years, but that was a nice perk, choosing your own...

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
From what I understand freebies are generally just older stock. There is nothing wrong with them they've just been around for a while. I like them. I've got some good stuff from freebies. All I ask is they are properly labelled.

Not necessarily old stock. When we send drops, we have prototypes we've been working on to see what others think and give as testers or freee-bies.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
For a sizeable investment in time/power, regardless of the cost of the seed, I really want to know with a reasonable degree of certainty what it is. Even "knowing" what it is still gives too much variability (see my slh grow) sometimes.

If you're trying to get rid of seeds and knowing it's a nice gesture to give a freebie with an order maybe allow someone to pick the freebie... Like 2 of x specific strain or 10 of mixed unknown.

We argued the point newbies might like "Mixed", not knowing or feeling overwhelmed at the hundreds of strains. I can see that.

A few friends I know, like sedative indica or high CBD but cannot tolerate sativa, getting jittery. THAT would prompt me to want to know gene pool.

Often times I'll throw out seeds in the bottom of container (spilled from bags, hence unknown). Those go out between tomato bushes and chiles and I call them 'volunteers'!!! ;o)

Sign

Yeah I'm much more likely to try unknowns outdoors too with the tomatoes. I just saw you were in the US, I'll have to check out your inventory for this years outdoor selection. Getting back to your original post mixed regular autos would be what I would choose for a freebie were it a choice in that situation.

In the tents I just need more info is all.

insomniac_AU

Not necessarily old stock. When we send drops, we have prototypes we've been working on to see what others think and give as testers or freee-bies.
Sorry mate not trying to spread misinformation it's just I'm sure I was told that by a seed seller a while back. That's why I said generally. I think sending out testers is a great idea. I'd be down with that although I would like to know they were test seeds. Anything free is a bonus anyway I wouldn't be upset. :tiphat:

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sorry mate not trying to spread misinformation it's just I'm sure I was told that by a seed seller a while back. That's why I said generally. I think sending out testers is a great idea. I'd be down with that although I would like to know they were test seeds. Anything free is a bonus anyway I wouldn't be upset. :tiphat:

No offense taken, just clearing up misconceptions. Most all of us at one particular seed site and forum (not this one) promote giving out seeds besides their deals. I can't vouch for them, but know many do the same .....develop a strain and want people to try it, either as freebie or tester for feedback.

We bestow many strains to 2 VETS GROW groups.... I, like others, enjoy spreading the green in seed form and feedback is a great marketing tool.

We had a hoot talking about mixed weed blunts. Recall being highly elevated in Zandvoort (Noord Holland) from a mix of left overs in a blunt. Whoooo-weeee!

It's different with seeds. The banter got lively, just like here! Fun question posed.

Koondense

Veteran
In my opinion freebies should always be present in an order, to encourage buyers try other varieties for example.
Many free seeds are given away to friends in need and it's always good to know what to expect from a seed, so labeled free seed lineage is great.
I personally generally hate the "mix" lable and would not care to pop a seed i have no info about.
Another thing is the price of seeds, i feel most seeds are way overpriced and a free seed or two will make it easier(psychologically) to buy seeds, many people have little money so an expense like buying seeds has to be attractive.
Test crosses, older stock or discontinued lines are great options for freebies as long as they're labeled(my opinion).

Cheers

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We're generous in freebies/testers either direct or through Great Lakes. Direct, we have a GOMER's SURPRISE...it's all one strain but due to circumstances, labels/identification fell through. Usually I can tell what seeds are such, but to not mis-promote, we give them as GOMER's SU-PRISE, su-prise, su-Prise!!!!

It was an interesting subject to share Saturday night bon fire, kokanee salmon on the grill and talking with other growers doing it for a living. So thought...what better way to see, not as a poll, but opinions from this fine forum.

Again, thanks all for your experiences/input!

MrBungle

Well I've had both mystery seed freebies. and labeled freebies in my collection at the same time... I generally go for the labeled ones first, but I recently decided to go for a ride with 7 mystery seeds.... I will say it was fun.. a lot more fun than experiences in the past when I was less knowledgeable .....

So I think the labeled seeds probably help the grower out a little more whether a newb or experienced, because they might be able to glean some info about the strain from the web.... Where as growers will have to rely on experience and know how to keep mystery seeds happy and healthy..

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well I've had both mystery seed freebies. and labeled freebies in my collection at the same time... I generally go for the labeled ones first, but I recently decided to go for a ride with 7 mystery seeds.... I will say it was fun.. a lot more fun than experiences in the past when I was less knowledgeable .....

So I think the labeled seeds probably help the grower out a little more whether a newb or experienced, because they might be able to glean some info about the strain from the web.... Where as growers will have to rely on experience and know how to keep mystery seeds happy and healthy..

Right, MrBungle. There's something about 'mystery' seeds that numerous like due to the 'unknown'.

Would I want to grow primarily unknown seeds like we did back in the day? No, as over the decades of growing, I know what I like and like to try different strains. Funny how bag seed of yore were 'mystery/mixed nuggets'! Growing for the fun of it (Mixed)...yes. Always growing mystery seeds, no....and like everyone else, knowing what you are growing is fruitful. Yet, given as FREEBIES, it's an unlabeled luscious box of chocolates. ;o)

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Freebies are a nice bonus, but I never count on them in my order. I dont think I've ever gotten a "mix" as a freebie, though I have ordered mix packs before. Mix packs are "like a box of chocolates".

My favorite type if freebie is an extra seed or two of the ones I ordered. Sweet Seeds 3+1 deal comes to mind.

I often share my freebies with new growers, so knowing what to expect is a good thing. What I don't like is getting photoperiod freebies with my autoflower order, or vice versa.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
On the subject of mystery seeds...

Almost 10 years ago I had moved to 2 miles above sea level in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado. The flower room I set up used 2 pieces of plywood to cover the window. Not realizing how cold it really gets up there (-50F at least twice a year!), and the effects it has on everyday items, I used aluminum tape to seal the crack.

Once the nanners showed up on everything in the room (I mean everything), I realized the aluminum tape had come undone a few weeks earlier. Plants were beamed from top to bottom as the sun came up every morning. LOL

Several strains, most a femmed cross of P91 from a light-leak seed run in someone else's garden. Ak-47 x P91, Satori x P91, Trainwreck x P91 and African Haze. I literally ate handfuls of the seeds. No idea how many.

Years later I find they're very stable, as long as you don't give them any light leaks. LOL They're quite sensitive. The point is, each one of these is a guessing game now. I only have about 60 left and most are from one of the Satori x P91 plants. Wonderful smoke so far. Still very healthy seeds and they make very healthy plants. I've named them "Femtorix," since it's mostly a femmed mix of genetics from a Satori female. lol

Though I don't like the idea of breeding with them, not a single one has shown 'hermi' traits other than being sensitive to light leaks. The mystery of finding out what's next is much better than I expected. :D