What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Forgiving cheap nutrients

CrushnYuba

So... The nutrient i had been using ( sea grow) has had the formula changed. It was part synthetic and part organic. Performed like organic on steroids. Just super easy. Fertigate it on every water and it just works. Never lock out, never burn, never deficiency. All strains. Even in a greenhouse in the middle of a heatwave. Just as easy as organic, but without the hassle of amending between runs and with faster growth. Just throw the powder in the dosatron tank with some home made cal mag and walk away. Once in a while flush with plain water. No ppm, no ph, no water purification.

I'm looking for a direct replacement for that style of growing. The old formula was Part water soluble organic N and Part nitrate N. They replaced the spray dried water soluble Blood meal with urea. So now it's just nitrate and urea.

Someone has to know of a replacement. that's dirt cheap, water soluble, and is crazy easy like that. And it wouldn't hurt to have a butt load of kelp in it like sea grow.

Sooflay

Yuba! hey man not related to this post at all but I am trying to contact you, send me an email at z.chart12@yahoo.com

questions about greenhouse strucures, I have 2 24x100's going up next month would really like to pick your brain a bit before dropping any money. I currently run both indoor and greenhouse year round in the state of Maine!

Malato

Earth Juice use the Catalyst with the grow and bloom solution and you'll be glad. Can even use urine instead of the grow formula for even cheaper. I also like there Meta K and Microblast but these can substitute wood ash and flat beer for your K and micro nutes.

Never have had a burn with Earth Juice

CrushnYuba

Unfortunately, Liquid earth juice is way way out of my price range. The only earth juice line that works in my price range is the sea blast powdered ferts. Urea is the #1 ingredient on the grow.
Its marketed to be a max sea or sea grow, but it's even trashier. Lol. I don't mind trash but not that trashy

And the regular liquid earth juice is great, but it's 2-1-1. So it's way out of my price range, and you have to use so much that i would imagine fertigating is harder.

Malato

I know a few Cubans that use sunniland flower for there grows. Not sure how much per gal. It's cheap cheap. Definitely not organic but they grow really good stuff as far as commercial bud goes. I'm sure it would burn. You ever think of sourcing stuff from the land to make a good organic tea? If you hunt, fish, live close to the ocean etc there's all different free sources of P and K just gotta think outside the box. Where's an old timer chiming in at when you need them! Lol

CrushnYuba

I'm not looking for organic. Not looking for synthetic. I'm looking for a synthetic that has a good bit of organic N in it and performs allot like an organic.

I definitely don't want to tea. Its to time consuming to make the tea and it can't be ran through fertigation. I don't even use tea in my organic grows anymore really. I have a huge 1000 gallon tea brewer wasting space.

Maybe i should suck it up and use the urea formula.

CrushnYuba

You are biased to urea? Do you use a product that uses urea for your N?
Does anyone on here? For so many years i have been trying to use as little urea as possible. I'm thinking urea n is closer to organic n then nitrate or amonical.
Someone has to have an opinion on this.

Malato

I don't use store bought urea, but I use pee. I dilute it 1:10. Has always performed for me just as well as any nutrient I have purchased. If you're interested check out my grow diary and read what klompen wrote he seems to really have it down.

Growcephus

Veteran
I don't know what your definition of "dirt cheap" is, but dyna-gro foilage pro is about as easy as it gets, and has been great for everything I've grown from ganja, to peppers, and herbs.

The only thing that's still kicking my ass are g'damn tomatoes....

Regardless, the stuff is a n00b's dream, and an old hands secret imo.

CrushnYuba

I don't use store bought urea, but I use pee. I dilute it 1:10. Has always performed for me just as well as any nutrient I have purchased. If you're interested check out my grow diary and read what klompen wrote he seems to really have it down.

O my God. That's great. If only i could source thousands of gallons of urine.
Every time my wife yells at me for pissing in the rose bushes, i tell her I'm just giving them a N boost. I have to show her your diary. I guess urea fertalizer is the next best thing since i can't source 1,000s of gallons of urine.

Growcephus: my definition of dirt cheap are dry ferts not specific to cannabis. Like growmore, jacks, earth juice sea blast.

Breadwizard

A friend who is from a big grower family swears by Age Old. It's liquid, not powder, but is pretty cheap, and seems like it may fit the bill for you.

Avenger

Veteran
urea fertilizer is a man made organic chemical, synthesized from inorganic components ammonium hydroxide and liquid carbon dioxide..

mind blowing for sure.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
I'm not looking for organic. Not looking for synthetic. I'm looking for a synthetic that has a good bit of organic N in it and performs allot like an organic.

Maybe i should suck it up and use the urea formula.

I'm thinking urea n is closer to organic n then nitrate or amonical.
Someone has to have an opinion on this.

Bacteria decompose organic inputs to release the same ions to the plant synthetic fertilizers do when added to water. Plants use ammonia (NH3), Ammonium (NH4) and nitrate (NO3), urea is broken down into all 3.

Last edited:

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I know nothing about synthetics that have organics in it that act like organics when applied, but someone already mentioned above the absolute best 1-part cannabis nutrient formula: Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro. You can always add organics to your soil mix, or apply a good tea from time to time, I guess? I don't know, because I've never legitimately seen a good reason to use organics for anything, and therefore I just base my decisions on science.

I have been on Maxibloom for far too long now, and I have decided to go back to Foliage Pro. Just got some in the mail yesterday, ready for my next garden I'm setting up soon. Stuff is the bomb.

CrushnYuba

4-26-26 or 16-16-16, Crushn?

The 16-16-16. I think I'm going to either stick to the grow more or try a jacks product. Jacks professional 20-20-20 is 38$ locally for 25lbs.. Grow more seagrow is 70$ for 25lbs. I considered using earth juice seablast but all the micros that are edta in the grow more are just sulfates in the seablast.

I was given 100 lbs of earth juice seablast for free a while back... A week into trying it, a heatwave hit. i got some burn so i stopped using it after a week. It was 105f + with no humidity. The plants being fed growmore seagrow didn't get burned. Probably more of a salt burn then nitrogin source related.

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Yeah I think if you stick with the grow more the worst is your salinity goes up a little bit. Urea salt index can be see high as ~75, whereas the blood meal is pretty negligible. Probably why you're able to feed so often. Sticking with the urea may force you to flush a couple more times or just water without feeding here and there. Have you tried the new formulation yet?

Edit: I see you have