What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Wow, that is alot of energy consumption!!

He works out that it costs around $294/kg in energy costs alone. That's ignoring the ecological rucksack too. Should we be surprised that methods developed over decades of secrecy and covering your back are not the most sustainable?

It should be possible to produce cannabis in a zero carbon way. The industry is still pretty fresh really. The potential is there through the right methods and utilisation of sustainable technologies that cannabis cultivation actually sequesters CO2 and returns energy to the power grid along with providing various uses for the waste product.

ddrew

Veteran
He forgot to add in all the electricity growers use to come to these sites just to talk about their plants

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
lol ive read that already its pretty funny... I do believe cow farts are the leading cause of c02 and methane gas in the world... So why not talk about are super fat ass people eating at McDonald causing horrible life for a billion cows which in turn is causing global warming???

whodare

Veteran
another hit-piece from the propaganda mill.

and puuh-leeze, if i hear more about this stupid CO2 scam, i'm gonna puke.

but what makes me really sick, is the constant effort by the industry to put the blame for pollution on the CONSUMER!

WE have to save energy, WE have to recycle, WE have to pay tax on emissions, when in fact the vast majority of pollution and water consumption is caused by INDUSTRY! they use (IIRC) 2/3 of the drinking water! for what?!

i didn't ask for singing, wall-mounted plastic fish to be produced by the ton! i didn't ask for cell phones that by design last a year and then are (toxic) garbage!
i didn't ask for all that ludicrous, useless crap that fills the global mall, while billions starve.

let's put the blame where it belongs - industry and their totalitarian mercantile system (capitalism)!

(and let's not forget the 2000+ atmospheric nuclear detonations since 1945 - i'm sure THAT pollution is negligible compared to those evil, evil marijuana farmers) :mad:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLCF7vPanrY

puke.

i didnt ask for it either, but people think they did and think they need and want it.

soon things will change and Someone will come along and show us how to live from he heart and act in love instead of acting from the mind out of greed...

Exactly! Anthropogenic global warming is what we are concerned with as, although our contribution of greenhouse gasses (including the bloody cows) is a tiny fraction of what occurs naturally, we do not know if the earth is equipped to process it in the same way it does the naturally occuring gasses. That is our current understanding anyway and sometimes it is better to proceed with what we know than sit around doing nothing until we know for sure. Feels more proactive anyway. . .

Personal growers are the least efficient using inordinate amounts of energy for relatively low yields due to security and sentancing guidelines. However, when a law is a load of bollocks and there seems to be no clear way of changing it (50+ years of prohibition will testify to this) then we have no choice but to break it.

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"The 'media' is a media of control" [Bob Marley]

Hold fast to substance brothers n sisters,, :D

Can someone explain how one joint is equal to two pounds of CO2 emission? And how are we contributing to GHGs? most of the mass of a plant is carbon that is obtained from CO2 in the air....

Can someone explain how one joint is equal to two pounds of CO2 emission? And how are we contributing to GHGs? most of the mass of a plant is carbon that is obtained from CO2 in the air....

He is talking embodied CO2. I.e. the amount of CO2 produced in the production of x amount of cannabis. This will include that released by power stations and transportation (vehicles) etc.

Water usage is also a measure of the sustainability of a process.

He has just carried out a pretty objective analysis that doesn't appear to be biased. I don't know why people are taking the piss out of him. I still see it as bargaining power for our cause.

The atrocities in Mexico are also a case in favour of the abolition of prohibition in my book. Add to that a huge range of social issues and the financial ones which should be at the top of the government's priorities. Prohibition has really gotten out of hand and needs to stop.

EDIT: What just happened to this thread? My post from page 1 has appeared on page 4 . .

Last edited:
The definition of sustainable living is the perfect harmony of environmental, social and economic issues.

In other words, it is no point being green if it costs too much and no point being cheap if people won't abide by it. Sustainability is becoming increasingly widespread as a philosophy.

You can take any of the factors (environmental, social, financial) and make a case for the abolition of prohibition and actually have evidence to back it up. Those in support of prohibition are left with hysterics and downright refusal to face facts. I'd say tides are turning.

Max Headroom

Veteran
soon things will change and Someone will come along and show us how to live from he heart and act in love instead of acting from the mind out of greed...

i'm afraid we'll have to find this out ourselves one by one. i don't think anyone will come to help us.

Mountain High

Veteran
:off2:

Imagine if the war on drugs never started in the first place, what would the world be like today if cannabis was legal our entire lives?

whodare

Veteran
i'm afraid we'll have to find this out ourselves one by one. i don't think anyone will come to help us.

youll only know who he is if you payed attention as the unbelievers wont receive guidance...

I'm sure they got sick of trying.

They get thrown into prisons and/or assassinated.

There's a lot more money in lies than truth today.

damn straight, the problem is while those you speak of, MLK, Marley, Lennon etc. were false prophets and false prophets are always silenced...

though they had one thing right, LOVE is the answer...

Bonghitz

Evan Mills' article has a lot of round numbers. What if his 1% was closer to 0.5%, but was rounded up to the nearest integer? Rounding up every claim causes error to compound exponentially (literally). I call BS. I mean, for #!@( sake, he's counting the vehicle use of growers during production.

My stepdad, an economics professor, once told me more energy is consumed in the manufacturing of a car than the car ever uses in fuel. Why doesn't Mills throw that in to his calculations while he's at it? I mean, somebody had to deliver the bricks to build the growhouse. And don't forget all the growhouses that don't have solar panels on their roofs! They're consuming billions of dollars worth of valuable sunlight!

Latest posts

Latest posts