What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Wow, that is alot of energy consumption!!

M

Milhouse

http://www.nytimes.com/gwire/2011/0...owers-inhale-1-of-us-electricity-e-62219.html

Study: Pot Growers Inhale 1% of U.S. Electricity, Exhale GHGs of 3M Cars
By COLIN SULLIVAN of Greenwire
Published: April 11, 2011

Indoor marijuana cultivation consumes enough electricity to power 2 million average-sized U.S. homes, which corresponds to about 1 percent of national power consumption, according to a study by a staff scientist at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Researcher Evan Mills' study notes that cannabis production has largely shifted indoors, especially in California, where medical marijuana growers use high-intensity lights usually reserved for operating rooms that are 500 times more powerful that a standard reading lamp.

The resulting price tag is about $5 billion in annual electricity costs, said Mills, who conducted and published the research independently from the Berkeley lab. The resulting contribution to greenhouse gas emissions equals about 3 million cars on the road, he said.

Narrowing the implications even further reveals some staggering numbers. Mills said a single marijuana cigarette represents 2 pounds of CO2 emissions, an amount equal to running a 100-watt light bulb for 17 hours.

"The added electricity use [to an average home] is equivalent to running about 30 refrigerators," Mills wrote. "Processed cannabis results in 3,000 times its weight in CO2 emissions. For off-grid production, it requires 70 gallons of diesel fuel to produce one indoor cannabis plant, or 140 gallons with smaller, less-efficient gasoline generators."

Mills went on to compare an average pot-growing facility to the electric power intensity of a data center. In California, which is the top producing state and one of 17 states to allow medical use of marijuana, cultivation accounts for 3 percent of all electricity use and 8 percent of household use, he said.

Mills added that he completed his research with no external sponsorship, insisting that he does not mean to pass judgment on the merits of cannabis cultivation or use. He also suggested that the minimal amount of information available and the almost complete lack of regulation of the industry mean energy consumption could easily be lowered.

"If improved practices applicable to commercial agricultural greenhouses are any indication, the energy use for indoor cannabis production can be reduced dramatically," he said. "Cost-effective efficiency improvements of 75 percent are conceivable, which would yield energy savings of about $25,000/year for a generic 10-module growing room."

Mills, a member of the U.N. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, drew his data from open literature and interviews with horticultural equipment retailers.

By some estimates, marijuana has long been the largest cash crop in the United States -- ahead of corn, soybeans and hay. The industry has been pegged at about $40 billion in value, with California, Tennessee, Kentucky, Hawaii and Washington the top five production states.

Water consumption is also an issue when it comes to environmental impact, with each marijuana plant said to need between 3 and 5 gallons of water per day to grow to fruition.

Last edited by a moderator:

jakeh

Interesting article with some glaring holes. There is no mention of co2 supplementation or co2 off set by the plant. The 3 to 5 gallons per water per plant per day would definitely define over watering. It is a good argument for legalization across the board. Were it legal people would still grow indoors but a lot of production would move outdoors. It also made me wonder what 1% of the nations electric bill would be in dollars.

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
"The added electricity use [to an average home] is equivalent to running about 30 refrigerators," Mills wrote. "Processed cannabis results in 3,000 times its weight in CO2 emissions. For off-grid production, it requires 70 gallons of diesel fuel to produce one indoor cannabis plant, or 140 gallons with smaller, less-efficient gasoline generators."

off grid it cost 70 gallons at 4 bucks thats only 280$ per plant for gas... .how do you folks in cali sell it so cheap -=P

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Water consumption is also an issue when it comes to environmental impact, with each marijuana plant said to need between 3 and 5 gallons of water per day to grow to fruition.

yeah ok indoor plants are using 3-5 gallons a day

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
How much electricity on the infrastructure to support social media like text messaging and face book? same with tv advertisement?

jakeh

How much electricity on the infrastructure to support social media like text messaging and face book? same with tv advertisement?

Good point. Another would be how much co2 is wasted by the trees the NYTimes chopped down to print this crap. The legalization side over sells the positives and the prohibition side over sells the negatives. I'm for a more sane discussion on both sides. I still hope to one day laugh at the fact that it was ever illegal in the first place.

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
how big is the carbon footprint of all the:
cop cars
cop computers
county jails
courthouses
transport busses
state prisons
parole boards
halfway houses
parole offices
parole officers cars
in patient rehabs
out patient rehabs
counciling centers
ect....
used to enforce prohibition?

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
"Researcher Evan Mills' study notes that cannabis production has largely shifted indoors, especially in California, where medical marijuana growers use high-intensity lights usually reserved for operating rooms that are 500 times more powerful that a standard reading lamp."

So if I use 1kw grow lights my household light bulbs have to be 2w? I can't trust anything said in this article after I read that.

:joint:

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
They can spend all that money dag... we can't... we just make it for them.

If we could even use what they say we use...

picture.php

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well, I think we should make cannabis even more illegal now so that 5 billion $ in revenue the energy companies make and hire employees with will not be had anymore thereby screwing two areas of commerce at once, agriculture and energy!

Seems they want us all working as over taxed slaves to the states, on welfare, or in prison. Whatever benefits the government...in this case all three.

whodare

Veteran
guys we gotta quit smoking, good thing i vape...

all that abv (or already been vaped) weed is a great carbon sequestering tool.

global-warming.jpg

lol

ONE LOVE

Rednick

One day you will have to answer to the children of
Veteran
No mention of all the savings on vehicle emissions from these 'work-at-home' growers.

Mountain High

Veteran
Legalize then we can throw the lights in the trash and go back to growing plants outdoors, the way they should be done. Those numbers look like bullshit to me.

Harry Lime

Veteran

Dunno Man but one Google search uses as much electricity as it takes to boil 3 litres of water:tiphat:

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
Those statements imply that the author has an exact count of how many people and how many lights are running in the entire country? What a load of crap!! talk about a lack of facts, the NY Times sucks anyway.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
Those numbers from his mouth are like shit from ass. In 3 gallon containers, during the height of flowering, my plants never took in more than 3 gallons of water a WEEK. He also failed to mention the fact that plants take in carbon dioxide during photosynthesis. His data has flaws just like the shitty UN.

-Funk

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
Link to the actual study.

http://evan-mills.com/energy-associates/Indoor_files/Indoor-cannabis-energy-use.pdf

If anyone had bothered to actually READ the study you'd notice that he is using a crazy high output sealed room/co2/etc setup as his "typical model". Now 200w/sqft for TOTAL energy use seems excessive even for that but I'm sure he could pull one out of his ass that would use that much. 500x refers to "above the light level recommended for reading". He's talking about intensity, not wattage. 500x seems a bit much but I honestly don't know what a "useful" light level for reading would be. 100 lumens? maybe more/less? It's totally weasel terminology on his part, but it's misquoted in the story so there you go.

3rd page of the study has some neat pie charts and his figures. You can argue with them as you like, I'm sure everyone's grow is going to be different, and I seriously doubt a nobel winner is going to set up his room the same as me.

This being said the main points are still valid. High intensity indoor production produces a LOT of co2, as it should without the sun being involved. I'd agree with mountain air there, sunshine is the way to go if you can. Just from the perspective of cost, sunshine & air movement is free outside ;)

Last edited:

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
yeah ok indoor plants are using 3-5 gallons a day

That's total water consumed by the energy used, not for the plant itself. Large scale energy generation consumes a LOT of water, in fact your biggest water usage is one you're probably fairly ignorant of as it occurs at the power plant. Gas, coal & nuclear all use large amounts of water for both cooling & motive power.

His estimated figure for indoor water consumption is 1/gallon/plant/day which seems pretty high but not insane from my experience with larger plants.

Latest posts

Latest posts