What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Basement Buds in Bed

G

Looking good dopey, just curious as to what you mean by "state hight limit"?

Thanks LizardMan, State regs say at-home growers can have up to X number of plants over X inches tall, the implication being that any plants under X inches don't count.

Peace
DM

G

Found some double-serrated leaves on Sugar Puffs today. Was reading about it, sounds like a lot of identified strains with this trait are from Afghani landrace origins. She's Bubblegum x Mendo Purps. Other growers reported improved disease resistance and sweeter tastes from plants showing double-serration, but that's anecdotal.

picture.php

Day 15

picture.php

Peace
DM

G

Day 17 Flower

picture.php

Everyone is doing fairly well...Three Queens (middle) was looking exhausted at the end of the day today; I'll tweak her carrot dial a bit tomorrow morning. Canopy ambient temp got up to 78.5F today, which isn't that big of a deal normally.

VG Bubba is getting closer to the light (~20" away now, height is around 36-37" tall) and she started to sawblade ever-so-slightly, so I cracked a window in the basement to let in some cool fresh air. Brought temps down ~2F, enough for the leaves to relax a bit. I'll move the light up a few inches, but first I'll need to add some new eye bolts directly above where the nylon cords attach to the light frame. They're currently closer to center, and it's getting tougher to raise the light due to the angle of the cords.

CSI Bubba is really starting to look like the picture I have in my mind of a typical Bubba expression. Her smell is on point, and early trich development is looking good...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

EDIT: Oh yeah, ordered some more beans yesterday, cause apparently I don't have enough. CSI - Chem D S1, CSI - Lemon Party S1, and Karma - Sowahh.

Peace
DM

G

Thanks fellas!

Starting to see some purples on CSI Bubba leaves and Sugar Puffs calyxes. Here's the Bubba

picture.php

Peace
DM

G

Day 19 flower

picture.php

Mendocino Purple Kush opening up this morning. I consider her to be about 10 days behind the others in the flowering cycle, since she was premature when I initiated 12s.

picture.php

Sugar Puffs

picture.php

Three Queens

picture.php

VG Bubba

picture.php

Peace
DM

G

Thanks Fitz...I'm quite happy with the overall health of all the girls. A few clawed leaves here and there from watering in the malted barley alongside the Blumats, and a little heat stress up top while I continue to dial in the atmosphere, but overall pretty good.

It's hard getting pics of the true colors under these red diodes. The flash pics are a little better. Some of the lower leaves are almost black... These are also day 19 flower.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Peace
DM

G

Day 20 flower

VG Bubba is the frostiest girl so far. She's almost 40" tall this morning, hoping she stops stretching soon!

picture.php

CSI Bubba it looks like the purple parts I'm seeing on her are actually the stipules, not the new leaves.

picture.php

Sugar Puffs it's really hard to get the camera to see the purple bracts the way my eyes see them. Pic does no justice, sorry...

picture.php

Mendocino Purple Kush day 10 let's call it... I can see the slightest bit of purple in there already. Her structure is most similar to the CSI Bubba at this point, no side branching and super wide leaves.

picture.php

Here's a shot of the backup clones under a new HLG 65 V2 4000K veg light. The MPK clone is in the humidome inside the cabinet, now, along with a clone of the VG Bubba clone. She grows too quick!

picture.php

Peace
DM

G

Quite obvious they were started under too much light, everything is looking terrible.
:laughing:
Not!

Good tip, thanks! What method is normally used to extract the sap for measurement? Saw some guy talking about a garlic press, but what about a syringe or something? Do I need to chop something off to take a measurement?
I haven't done it yet myself, but yup you need to crush some leaf to extract the juice.
Did you say u have a light meter?
And I got an infra-red thermometer arriving any day, so thank u for tipping me over the edge on that.

G

Quite obvious they were started under too much light, everything is looking terrible.
Not!

I haven't done it yet myself, but yup you need to crush some leaf to extract the juice.
Did you say u have a light meter?
And I got an infra-red thermometer arriving any day, so thank u for tipping me over the edge on that.

Things were looking pretty bleak there for a minute...lol
Haven't got a light meter, no, but was listening to a KIS podcast today and they were talking about a study which found any leaves getting under 200 ppfd are basically a suck, and not contributing to sugar production due to low photosynthetic action. I'd really like to figure out a cheap way to measure the lower leaves and compare that with final bud production.

In my case, however, those lower leaves are the only thing helping to keep my RH above 45% since the cover crop got a haircut. So I don't think I'd chop them off this round, anyways. Food for thought, though.

Re: leaf temps, I can only seem to get them up to 72-73F before heat/light stress start showing. Still need to dial in the environment some more. Think I need more passive air intake, the two 8-inch darkroom louvers lose about 50% of their airflow due to the light trap inside. The room runs close to 80F when it's all sealed up, but cracking the door brings it down to about 77F. But more airflow could also mean lower humidity, so I'd need to do something about that, too.

Some lights off pics just because...

Three Queens the last 4-5 days, every day, she gets real droopy just before lights out. The next morning, perky all day long. None of the others doing this...

picture.php

Mendocino Purple Kush that one big leaf trying reeeeeeal hard to find some sunshine.

picture.php

CSI Bubba mmmmmm coffee

picture.php

Sugar Puffs I noticed the other day, her main stem never switched to alternating nodes. Still side-by-side up to the very top.

picture.php

VG Bubba I'm gonna have to hit up VG for some help trimming her, I feel like he has that obligation here. Or at least pay for my yard refuse pickup or something after the trim.

picture.php

Peace
DM

G

Controlled Drought Stress (CDS)

Controlled Drought Stress (CDS)

Been reading and listening about Controlled Drought Stress (CDS) and its effects on cannabinoid production in late-stage flowering. Very intriguing, might have to give it a go this round...

https://www.researchgate.net/public...ical_Cannabis_Using_Controlled_Drought_Stress

My take-away is that significant increases in THC and CBD yield were observed when withholding water (controlled drought) approximately 2 weeks before expected harvest date until the "leaf angle" (below) is approximately 50% greater than in its turgid state just before water was withheld.

picture.php

In this study, that leaf angle change happened somewhere around 9-11 days after withholding water. The drought plants were watered again and then harvested 4-6 days later. And I quote...

"In the drought treatment, THC yield was 50% higher, THCA yield was 43% higher, CBD yield was 67% higher, and CBDA yield was 47% higher than in the control"

Time to buy a protractor!

Peace
DM

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Been reading and listening about Controlled Drought Stress (CDS) and its effects on cannabinoid production in late-stage flowering. Very intriguing, might have to give it a go this round...

https://www.researchgate.net/public...ical_Cannabis_Using_Controlled_Drought_Stress

My take-away is that significant increases in THC and CBD yield were observed when withholding water (controlled drought) approximately 2 weeks before expected harvest date until the "leaf angle" (below) is approximately 50% greater than in its turgid state just before water was withheld.

View Image

In this study, that leaf angle change happened somewhere around 9-11 days after withholding water. The drought plants were watered again and then harvested 4-6 days later. And I quote...

"In the drought treatment, THC yield was 50% higher, THCA yield was 43% higher, CBD yield was 67% higher, and CBDA yield was 47% higher than in the control"

Peace
DM

I believe I had experience of this phenomenon 4 years ago when plants were not watered properly. Turned out to be an excellent run despite dryness. This might be a possible explanation.

eyesdownchronic

View Image

Peace
DM

cool study. might be strain dependent though. some plants don't seem to like heavy wet dry cycles while others do.

G

cool study. might be strain dependent though. some plants don't seem to like heavy wet dry cycles while others do.

Yeah, they only used a single strain for the study, and I didn't see any name other than "Chemovar II". Still, the idea of getting the plant to the drought stress threshold to encourage THC production should be relatively universal across the species. Wishful thinking, perhaps... :tiphat:

CSI Bubba day 22 lower buds. I was looking around at pre-98, katsu, and other cuts to better understand what I've got, relatively speaking. The super-short petioles, reluctance to branch out, minimal stretch in flower, coffee mocha notes, maybe she's pretty close to the pre-98 cut? If so, I'll hold on to her as long as I can.

picture.php

Mendocino Purple Kush at day 12 I'm calling it... Her main stem and side-branches remind me of CSI Bubba, plus not a lot of stretch at all in flower so far. The petioles are comparably long, though, and the fans themselves are almost cartoonishly big. Getting a faint musky grape smell from her at the moment.

picture.php

picture.php

Also received some new Infinity Jars, 10 x 1-liter screw-top and 3 x 1-liter apothecary style. Can't wait to fill 'em up!

picture.php

Peace
DM

Latest posts

Latest posts