What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

RECENT interesting findings

Dog Star

Veteran
But if you use just Horstail tea for PM problem than you will not have any problems...

only good and beneficial for you,plants and nature...

only from that results you could spot lot of folks dont have good growing skills..
or they dont know for Horstail tea... or dont belive in him..

i saved hundreds of clones with that tea,best antifunghal action and very safe...

PM dont have a chance..

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
As an Organic Bio-Dynamic grower, I have used horsetail tee for PM it helped but did not cure all the problems of the most susceptible varieties imported directly from Afghanistan and the surrounding areas. UV lights worked better like flower growers in Holland use in greenhouses.
To me the key is using Cannabis varieties that have a high natural resistance vs varieties that have very high susceptibility, think about it, do we really want varieties that have no resistance like many WLD Indicas and their hybrids? I suggest we breed solutions to our problems instead of masking them and increasing problems in the future by using such plants as parents.

Do you know the active materials in horsetail? I do not. Other then diverse alkaloids, nicotinic acid, silica.
-SamS

But if you use just Horstail tea for PM problem than you will not have any problems...

only good and beneficial for you,plants and nature...

only from that results you could spot lot of folks dont have good growing skills..
or they dont know for Horstail tea... or dont belive in him..

i saved hundreds of clones with that tea,best antifunghal action and very safe...

PM dont have a chance..

Last edited:

mushroombrew

Veteran
I discovered the lack of resistance in American genetics. Recently dumped most dutch stuff. The masses want OG's.

But there is a high desert PM here in OR. It thrives in 30-40% RH. Aggressively attacks stems. Plants will fall right over and shrivel.

I do not allow visitors period.

Hence the abundance of myclobutanil use. Growers have discovered it clears faster then Avid, floramite etc.(Steep hill)

Really bothers me.

I will start breeding a resistant OG. Will be invaluable in these parts.

G

Gr33nSanta

As an Organic Bio-Dyanmic grower, I have used horsetail tee for PM it helped but did not cure all the problems of the most susceptible varieties imported directly from Afghanistan and the surrounding areas. UV lights worked better like flower growers in Holland use in greenhouses.
To me the key is using Cannabis varieties that have a high natural resistance vs varieties that have very high susceptibility, think about it, do we really want varieties that have no resistance like many WLD Indicas and their hybrids? I suggest we breed solutions to our problems instead of masking them and increasing problems in the future by using such plants as parents.

Do you know the active materials in horsetail? I do not. Other then diverse alkaloids, nicotinic acid, silica.
-SamS

Equisitum, and it works best as preventative. 2 weeks cold extraction can be made on a large scale but if you are in a pinch you can do it in hours on the stove. Not sure which method works best I have not had PM for years! Even outdoor I have a few plants and have no PM yet... almost ready!

Mtn. Nectar

Veteran
truth on that og prob with pm..............have tended most all cut versions of og and all had pm suceptibility here in southern Sierra's..........the Lemon Diesel cut which is said to have a high % Og base was grown within Og's cuts and never showed any prob'........If lineage is correct it states some Mexican is present which may be why it was resistant.........tending now stashs Oger ......no pm prob's at all.........and one pheno is all Og fuel............

best in pm resis og roombrew.......

ganj on.........

Dog Star

Veteran
Sam.. if you are biodynamic organic grower than action of Horstail is good known to you..

am saved and later observed tissue that is affected by funghal diseses and a Horstail
even have powers to rejuvenate affected tissue,there was some funny leafes later
growed from this clones that was sprayed by Horstail tea but a plants are saved
even they started to rot and a leafes on them was showed they dieing..

Horstail as a plant is very similar to mushroom,she have spores for reproduction and by
Steiner words she have powers to put back in ground patogene spores of funghal
diseses that affects our plants...

now is already 6-7 years i used and will never use anything dangerous as i use mine meds and even if i dont use i will never use anything from dangerous protectives on mine plants,while Horstail tea is benevolent liquid that have silica,sulphor as natural antifunghals that can play for us in best way protecting our plants and our health.

Those folks that use Myclobutanyl and other stuff from industry are actually insane
as there is a natural tea that have better-stronger action and is 100% safe..

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
It is a plant.
Kingdom: Plantae
Division: Pteridophyta
Class: Equisetopsida
Order: Equisetales
Family: Equisetaceae
Genus: Equisetum
I do not smoke anything on my Cannabis except for BT maybe used in a young veg stage. I wonder about smoking a horsetail extract that kills PM. Also PM strikes even more at flowering then veg.
I have been a BioDynamic grower from 1973 taught at Alan Chadwicks farm at UCSC, they taught Organic, Bio-Dynamic French intensive raised bed gardening. I have had gardens most my adult life.
The real solution for PM is to use resistant varieties of Cannabis to grow.
-SamS

Sam.. if you are biodynamic organic grower than action of Horstail is good known to you..

am saved and later observed tissue that is affected by funghal diseses and a Horstail
even have powers to rejuvenate affected tissue,there was some funny leafes later
growed from this clones that was sprayed by Horstail tea but a plants are saved
even they started to rot and a leafes on them was showed they dieing..

Horstail as a plant is very similar to mushroom,she have spores for reproduction and by
Steiner words she have powers to put back in ground patogene spores of funghal
diseses that affects our plants...

now is already 6-7 years i used and will never use anything dangerous as i use mine meds and even if i dont use i will never use anything from dangerous protectives on mine plants,while Horstail tea is benevolent liquid that have silica,sulphor as natural antifunghals that can play for us in best way protecting our plants and our health.

Those folks that use Myclobutanyl and other stuff from industry are actually insane
as there is a natural tea that have better-stronger action and is 100% safe..

Last edited:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Very interesting discussion started here on the use of horsetail. I wonder if adding it to the mulch and/or compost heap could pass some of the benefits to the cannabis plant without having to spray it on the plants.
I already started using horsetail this year in my compost heap. Any info would be really helpful. :wave:

Dog Star

Veteran
I use it only as a tea against antifunghal diseases,to add silica and to protect plant
against spidermites and thrips.. ,its triple action actually..

leaving 100 grams in 1.5 liter cold water for 24 hours to soak,then easy cooking simmering
for 20 minutes and later live to get cold,after that you could mix him with water
1:1 ratio or you can spray him pure,3 days in a row as a rule of tumb.

Only Equisetum arvense(Field Horstail) is a right specie,other specie of Horstail can be toxic and dangerous.. that is very important to point to everybody here if you will use it.

Dont use her for mulch as she can ferment then and live very unpleasant smell...
its like a devil comes as it smells a very hard on sulphur..

troutman

Seed Whore
One reason a lot of strains these days are susceptible to fungal disease,etc. is that they are bred indoors. Natural selection is not being used and people help the weak plants along with chemical sprays that nature would have decimated. How many people these days breed outdoors? I bet not too many.

G

Gr33nSanta

One reason a lot of strains these days are susceptible to fungal disease,etc. is that they are bred indoors. Natural selection is not being used and people help the weak plants along with chemical sprays that nature would have decimated. How many people these days breed outdoors? I bet not too many.

I made seeds outdoors this year for the first time, it was a bit of a gamble I did not know if they would have time to mature, the plants were guerilla style in the bush.

The flowers are drying right now but I can already see fully formed brown seeds, I will make a batch of seeds outdoor every year from now on, I am so stoked!! It worked out so well!! The one plant must have somewhere between 500 to 2000 seeds, the other plants about 50 ft away from where the male was have also at least a couple few seeds per flower so there will be hundreds of seeds there too.

I trashed the male around September 10 th so I think most seeds or at least half will be viable.

troutman

Seed Whore
I made seeds outdoors this year for the first time, it was a bit of a gamble I did not know if they would have time to mature, the plants were guerilla style in the bush.

The flowers are drying right now but I can already see fully formed brown seeds, I will make a batch of seeds outdoor every year from now on, I am so stoked!! It worked out so well!! The one plant must have somewhere between 500 to 2000 seeds, the other plants about 50 ft away from where the male was have also at least a couple few seeds per flower so there will be hundreds of seeds there too.

I trashed the male around September 10 th so I think most seeds or at least half will be viable.

Leave your seeded females go as long as the weather allows.

I also made seed outdoors with a good outdoor strain this year
and have almost a small ziplock bag full of just good dark seeds.

I had 18 fully seeded females and I'm not counting the seeds. :woohoo:

Next year, I want a gallon jar full of striped babies. :biggrin:

G

Gr33nSanta

thanks troutman, some of the buds were starting to mold and I knew there were lots of ripe seeds so I harvested the bulk of it. I cant wait to see the seeds, I am being patient I didnt really dug in, only enough to find a ripe seed. It's gonna start raining everyday here and we have been getting several small frosts already.

Next year I ll plan ahead, I ll be more selective, I have the winter to find the next dude, so far I have a slk x bh I have used on a couple females indoor, It was my first time cloning a dude so I plan to keep it alive until I have a chance to grow some of the seeds (about 2-3 weeks from harvest on those) I plan to grow a few other males as well, but only use one outside with my favorite females.

A friend grew my more cowbell mom outside and I think it was one of the nicest outdoor Ive seen this year, it is fast enough to finish outdoor here on Van Isle. I want to create varieties that have time to finish without having to use greenhouses and also without mixing auto flowering genes.

PDX Dopesmoker

Gr33nSanta, how are you going to select a good male for outdoor conditions indoors this winter? Why not instead run a bunch of males outdoors next year and cull the losers who don't perform in the environment you're breeding for?
Male children of that More Cowbell sound like they'd be great, any phototperiod plant that can bring in a full harvest that far north is pretty special.

G

Gr33nSanta

sorry I was not clear, first of, I like the idea of growing multiple males at the plot for next year but I was trying to stay within law limit of 5 plants outside, they were on a friend's property.

When I say I ll select a good male, it's not super serious, I am just a grower having fun, not a breeder.

As far as making seeds, I am mostly focusing on indoor, the outdoor thing is a lifelong journey, but every year I ll try to select the fast finisher for the outdoor.

However, the part I am stoked about is I can plan ahead the breeding I want to do for indoor, and do it outdoor instead, be more selective with my females, make more seeds, fewer varieties.

Ive ran out of seeds of all the exciting crosses Ive made over the years, indoor I only ever pollinate a 1-3 flowers so I make between 10 to 100 seeds.

From now on, if I want to create something new, I ll do it outside, make thousands of seeds so that I have enough to grow a bunch right away and a ton to store in the fridge for future.

You are right I should make seeds with the more cowbell and find a male in that line for outdoor, I did not make seeds of the more cowbell because that plant I gave to a friend and it was at a separate location.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Evaluation of Cannabinoid and Terpenoid Content: Cannabis Flower Compared to Supercritical CO2 Concentrate.
Michelle Sexton, Kyle Shelton, Pam Haley, Mike West
Planta Med
Abstract
A recent cannabis use survey revealed that 60% of cannabis users rely on smelling the flower to select their cannabis. Olfactory indicators in plants include volatile compounds, principally represented by the terpenoid fraction. Currently, medicinal- and adult-use cannabis is marketed in the United States with relatively little differentiation between products other than by a common name, association with a species type, and Δ-9 tetrahydrocannabinol/cannabidiol potency. Because of this practice, how terpenoid compositions may change during an extraction process is widely overlooked.
Here we report on a comparative study of terpenoid and cannabinoid potencies of flower and supercritical fluid CO2 (SC‑CO2) extract from six cannabis chemovars grown in Washington State. To enable this comparison, we employed a validated high-performance liquid chromatography/diode array detector methodology for quantification of seven cannabinoids and developed an internal gas chromatography-mass spectrometry method for quantification of 42 terpenes. The relative potencies of terpenoids and cannabinoids in flower versus concentrate were significantly different. Cannabinoid potency increased by factors of 3.2 for Δ-9 tetrahydrocannabinoland 4.0 for cannabidiol in concentrates compared to flower. Monoterpenes were lost in the extraction process; a ketone increased by 2.2; an ether by 2.7; monoterpene alcohols by 5.3, 7 and 9.4; and sesquiterpenes by 5.1, 4.2, 7.7, and 8.9. Our results demonstrate that the product of SC‑CO2 extraction may have a significantly different chemotypic fingerprint from that of cannabis flower. These results highlight the need for more complete characterization of cannabis and associated products, beyond cannabinoid content, in order to further understand health-related consequences of inhaling or ingesting concentrated forms.

zif

Veteran
Evaluation of Cannabinoid and Terpenoid Content: Cannabis Flower Compared to Supercritical CO2 Concentrate.

The dramatic loss of limonene with slight increase of myrcene is a bummer!

SamS, is there any profile change in dry sift? It doesn't seem like there should be, but I am getting used to being surprised by the results of careful testing!

mushroombrew

Veteran

That is very much a regional issue. On the West coast there are dozens of outdoor breeders. As it would be silly selecting cultivars indoors for outdoor production.

In Europe for instance where large outdoor grows are less common you will find indoor cultivar selections.

The real issue is people chose potency over resistance. Greed should not cloud judgement during pheno selections. I cannot imagine growing OG in a place with high RH. I sit around 40 or less mostly.

I will cross in resistance and cube back.

@ Sam in your experience is resistance to PM a dom trait? If I choose the right incross I may be able to maintain resistance while keeping most OG traits (BX/ cube)

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
In my experience PM is linked to WLD varieties and their hybrids. (Wide Leaf Drug)
Use NLD varieties as they have lots of natural resistance to PM.
You can attempt to find WLD hybrid varieties that have higher resistance, I suspect it will not be easy. Some terpene expressions seem linked to higher or lower resistance also.
Good luck.
-SamS