What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My DIY LED grow light

vukman

Veteran
Every time i see those pictures reminds me of the days of being in a band and all them stage lights hahaha hell just came up with a idea lmao set up my 60 can light show and put plants under them i got red lens blue yellow green you name it hahahaha

Check this out 400 watt

http://www.lightronics.com/led_fixtures_3120c4di.html

LOL..fucking wiseguy as usual..:D.....LMAO

I said I wouldn't do this but can that stage light grow like this??

Almost don't even look like the same plants since I've added the extra panels in there, huh??

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
great shots and lovin the LED Stage Light Grow Show (-;

thank you wisconsin :dance013: you've been a great audience :woohoo:

S-V-K

hey hey!!!! How ya been? Well I hope.... thank you for the compliments....:)

CO2 is beneficial for the photosynthesis process no matter what but to get optimum 'use' out of it, the temps need to be a little higher and a lot of people like but it's worth it to help the plants absorb the CO2 better. The only issue with that is that you have to ride that fine line between a good temp and stressing the plants with too high of a temp and that's not always a good thing while in the flowering cycle......

As for will it help produce bigger buds........well, I'm hoping it will. I am not all that experienced with growing and just started around a year ago so a lot of this is actually new to me as well and I'm learning along with the rest of you..:D

Been busy with new LED project :)
A bit of dissapointment with Laser engraver = unable to laser out PCB layout on MCPCB :(
Have to paint it black and see if that works.
Got LZ9 leds and drivers, now I'm waiting on bridgelux 1W leds and thats me :)
I'm thinking about opening thread for this project.

Thanks for explaining it to me - I have never considered CO2 but I might have a look into it.

Plants are doing well as I can see,can't wait for final report :)

vukman

Veteran
I'm thinking about opening thread for this project.

What do you mean thinking about it?? You mean you haven't started on yet?? ;).....yes, that's my way of sayin' that you definitely should start one.....hehehe

vukman

Veteran
I just had to try again folks..

I just had to try again folks..

Hey all:

I just had to give my DIY HML another shot in the tent. I've placed it back in there and the only chips/spectrum I have lit, as you'll see in the picture, is the "whites".

The temps didn't rise..........much.........but then again, I rearranged the fan placement and the other panels as well to allow for more airflow and also placed my HML a little higher than it was last time.

I am having no end of trouble with the 660's. I definitely got a bad batch of them....I know this from just testing the panel by turning the switches off and on and the damn 660's just won't stay lit.. There always seems to be one that completely blows out. The can blow out open or closed so even if they don't light, the current can still pass through which has also happened but more often than not, they completely go .....:(

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Today (Sunday) is one full calendar month of 12/12

S-V-K

Nice and frosty buds :) ditch them 660's and use WW instead or get new ones. I believe Phillips has Golden Dragon 660's get them instead of cheap chinnese leds.

vukman

Veteran
Nice and frosty buds :) ditch them 660's and use WW instead or get new ones. I believe Phillips has Golden Dragon 660's get them instead of cheap chinnese leds.

As I've mentioned earlier in this thread, the Chinese cheapo's are for testing only and when I get to the spectrum and ratio I am happy and content with, then I'll go and spend the money on some solid brand name top bin chips for the final panels I will use for the next 5-7 years...........hopefully if the growing "Gods" are smiling on me.:D

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Vuk, once you make the swap to quality components, how are you going to figure out how to keep the ratio constant? It seems to me like there would be a good bit of variation in the light output from the cheaper stuff to the higher efficacy units, and I would think that it would be highly color dependent. Any thoughts?

vukman

Veteran
Vuk, once you make the swap to quality components, how are you going to figure out how to keep the ratio constant? It seems to me like there would be a good bit of variation in the light output from the cheaper stuff to the higher efficacy units, and I would think that it would be highly color dependent. Any thoughts?

The next 'set' of lights/panels I make will be more in line with an HPS HID........so basically I am going to try a panel with prominently warm white (WW) with some cool whites (CW) mixed in for the veg cycle and have that on one 'switch' and then add some red in there for flowering on another 'switch'.

That is somewhat of the plan but for now, I am more or less concentrating on getting the new place up and going. A lot of work there and being this close to the holidays...well.....lets just say I'm not going to stress over it now. In the coming year, there is plenty of time to think about new things and new ideas.

I would love to hear some thoughts from you my friend.. As you know, I am more than open to new ideas and new avenues of thought..:).

I hope you are feeling better as well...:comfort:

thank you for the questions and following the thread..........always appreciated........from everyone that is..:

vukman

Veteran
My frosty little girls...still have a month to go!!!!!!!!!!

picture.php

picture.php

Pictures taken Monday Dec 10/12

miron555

hey.i am new here and i would like to ask you a question. i'm building a diy led lamp and i have 660nm osram golden dragon's, xp-e 625nm reds from cree, xt-e 450nm royal blues from cree, cool neutral and warm whites xm-l from cree too.
what propotions should i use of them for the best spectum in a 60W diy led grow lamp?
sorry for asking it here but as i said new and inexperienced
thanks

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
maybe the warm/neutrals for main light probably do the discreets on switches so u could say; add red for flowering or blue for compactness

might look @ the cool whites for intensity ~or have a separate cool white for cloning/seedlings?

miron555

so i do like that, warm and neutrals will be main light. for the beginnig i switch more royal blues than reds, and for flowering more reds than blues. and for mid/late flo i'll add hyper reds from osram. i hope that this do the trick.
thanx

vukman

Veteran
sorry for the delay in answering...If it is possible for you to make a light/panel with 3 switches, you'll be okay....4 would be better...
1 for the whites which will be primary light on all the time
1 for the blue
1 for the red 630 (625)
1for the red 660

So for veg cycle, you have the whites and blues on
So early flower, whites with 625 reds
Later on in flower you turn on the 660 with the 625.........

Just watch the heat on the panel.....even though LEDs run cooler than HID, they still do put off a bit of heat. My panel with all lights on will reach 50C and that is with a fan blowing so with that kind of wattage, passive cooling is out of the question....

Good Luck

vukman

Veteran
5 weeks

5 weeks

Hi everyone..since I've got a certain someone busting my chops about updates.........here it is....LOL

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

As always, I am honoured that you take the time to view my 'babies'..........thank you

Arthritis_sucks

The Dude
Veteran
Really startin to chunk up in there vukman. Love the temp guage at canopy, how long ya gonna let these girls go? Till 70/30, 60/40, 50/50, amber/cloudy?

vukman

Veteran
Really startin to chunk up in there vukman. Love the temp guage at canopy, how long ya gonna let these girls go? Till 70/30, 60/40, 50/50, amber/cloudy?

Heya.......yeah, I got the idea about the temp gauge at canopy level from someone who is on the ball a bit more than I am.. I had the thermometer down at soil level but when I seen your gauge hanging there, I just had to follow along with that train of thought........thank you for that idea..:bow:

As for when I'll be harvesting, I like the more body numbing effect and since these are my meds here, I'll have to see how they are coming along. I will probably go to around 60/40 to 50/50 cloudy to amber.

This is only the 5th full calendar week so still have around 2-3 weeks to go if you can believe that or not!!!!!!!

DrFever

Veteran
Dam vuk looking great next time your at wally mart check look into the temp guage section there is a nice one for like 9.00 with 1 m sensor wire plants are looking great keep snipping them god dam sucker buds on way lower part of plant keep up the good work this one pretty much the only LED grow i have followed and finaly seeing a LED start to grow buds like the HPS

vukman

Veteran
Dam vuk looking great next time your at wally mart check look into the temp guage section there is a nice one for like 9.00 with 1 m sensor wire plants are looking great keep snipping them god dam sucker buds on way lower part of plant keep up the good work this one pretty much the only LED grow i have followed and finaly seeing a LED start to grow buds like the HPS

thanks doc...for the compliments and the advise about the gauge as well....

Here are some of the shots I just felt compelled to take today.. (Tuesday).........

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

These pictures don't really do them justice since there is no size perspective but I can tell you that a few of the branches needed to be tied off due to the amount they are sagging... Was worried I would open the tent and see them laying on the 'soil' broken...