What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Any reptile/amphibian people out there?

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
I have a bearded dragon named Harry who I've had for about 11 years now and a leopard gecko named Jasmine who I've had for about 4 years.

I know I've seen a few people mention snakes on here... Any other owners/lovers of reptiles or amphibians?

St. Phatty

I like reptiles & amphibians. Used to catch & keep both when I was a kid.

I was sorry to see one of the outdoor cats carry away a 2 foot garter-snake looking the other day. But I guess it's got to hunt.

Leaf Eater

Hi there. oops sorry wrong thread

reptilian2-640x426.jpg

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
I've always been interested in herptiles. As a kid my bedroom was filled with aquariums and terrariums. We'd ride our bicycles up into the hills and catch snakes on weekends. At the moment I have two softshell turtles. One I've had for twenty two years, the other for thirty.

St. Phatty

Once I caught a frog with a bit too much enthusiasm - in my hands. Squished the poor little guy, it was like mush.

hubcap

StackinCalyxs
Veteran
Savanna and mile monitors.
The 2nd nile had a corner of a living room with a complete pond to catch small fish and all kinds of plant boxes to dig and hide in. Made it to 9 years old and like 25-30 lbs. head to tail like 5 feet. ish.
Scared the daylights out of most females. Loved 'pinkies' and fish and raw eggs.

That being said. They were awesome and all.....but....unless you have a dedicated ROOM for monitors, they are better off in the wild. They can get LARGE and although more docile with age, their claws never lose any of their effectiveness. ;)

-cap

Betterhaff

Veteran
Had an iguana and a tortoise a long while ago. Those were a couple of long term reptilia I’ve had. Have had numerous amphibian, lizards, and turtles over my course, many acquired thru capture.

Here’s a good one. A friend found an anole in a box of oranges he got from Florida. He didn’t know what to do with it so he gave it to me since I had the stuff to set up a little home for him. So I set up an aquarium with all the fixings and he seemed to be quite comfortable. It was about the same time Taco Bell was doing a promo with the stuffed talking Chihuahuas. I got one and mine said “here leezard, leezard, leezard”. One day I was showing the toy to a friend and unknowingly set it on the table next to the anoles aquarium and that lizard flipped out…running, jumping, trying to hide like its life depended on it (in his mind he probably thought it did). It was too funny and I thought it was a fluke but every time I took that toy close to his pen the thing went nuts. Instincts are powerful.

Absinthia

we have :-

1.1 Basiliscus Plumifrons
1.1 Basiliscus vittatus
2.4 Chlamydosaurus kingii frilled dragons
2.5 gonocephalus grandis
2.2 Varanus glauerti Kimberley rock monitors
1.1 Varanus Gilleni
1.2 Varanus acanthurus Red Ackies
1.3 Varanus acanthurus Yellow Ackies
1.1 Varanus auffenbergi
1.1 nosey faly panther chameleons

2 Amazon tree boa's
3 Carpet pythons

Phyllobates terribilis 1.1 Yellow
Phyllobates terribilis 2.2.1 Mints
Phyllobates terribilis Orange 0.0.2

Been keeping and breeding for over 30 years

JustSumTomatoes

we have :-

1.1 Basiliscus Plumifrons
1.1 Basiliscus vittatus
2.4 Chlamydosaurus kingii frilled dragons
2.5 gonocephalus grandis
2.2 Varanus glauerti Kimberley rock monitors
1.1 Varanus Gilleni
1.2 Varanus acanthurus Red Ackies
1.3 Varanus acanthurus Yellow Ackies
1.1 Varanus auffenbergi
1.1 nosey faly panther chameleons

2 Amazon tree boa's
3 Carpet pythons

Phyllobates terribilis 1.1 Yellow
Phyllobates terribilis 2.2.1 Mints
Phyllobates terribilis Orange 0.0.2

Been keeping and breeding for over 30 years

Very nice! Sounds like you have Noah's ark over there! I've always loved snakes, just only have had lizards and have never owned any snakes. I'd love to see pictures of your frog tank(s) if you have any.

St. Phatty

Got a bunch of blue tailed lizards - outdoors.

I can't stand the thought of barBQing them alive, so when I'm doing a controlled burn with rotten wet trees, I tear off the bark, throw the trees up in the air, etc., to break them up & let the critters escape before the wet wood goes on the fire.

JustSumTomatoes

Got a bunch of blue tailed lizards - outdoors.

I can't stand the thought of barBQing them alive, so when I'm doing a controlled burn with rotten wet trees, I tear off the bark, throw the trees up in the air, etc., to break them up & let the critters escape before the wet wood goes on the fire.

You are a very kind soul. No lizards where I live, too cold. I love hearing the toad and frog songs at night in april/may. There has been way too much habitat loss over the past several years though.

Latest posts

Latest posts