What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

the phish head thread!!

D

dankbudz

since we have a thread about the grateful dead.......ill start a phish thread.

whats your experience with these guys?? mine has been life changing. im a bigger phish head than the dead.

my first show was 7-31-98. heres the set list.

Friday, July 31, 1998
Polaris Amphitheater, Columbus, OH

Set I: My Friend My Friend, Ya Mar, Roggae, Rift, Cities, Water in the Sky, Stash

Set II:The Curtain >Free, If I Could > The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday> Avenu Malkenu > Twist > Izabella, Julius, Cavern

Encore: Punch You in the Eye, Slave to the Traffic Light

Show Notes: My Friend included a Guyute tease in the intro. Cities included Who Knows teases. Rift was played for the first time since February 23, 1997 (94 shows) and If I Could was played for the first time since August 5, 1996 (150 shows).

not bad for a first show in the late 90's. cant wait til the moment the grace the stage again.

UmphreyMcgee420

Heady Connoisseur
Veteran
Very nice. I've been a fan for quite a long time.

Did you hear they got back together to play their tour managers wedding Sunday? They played 4 or 5 songs.

15-20 shows this summer baby :rasta:

J

jipedestran

anybody read the letter from Paige on their site? I personally think it will take a year or two, but we will see them play together again.

my first show with Phish was 92 University of Delaware. Shroomin Balls. Great floor seats, gas after the show at some PhiTau house.

Phish can play.

peace
jip

bluebublelove

Nice to see some phans on IC. I didn't keep up with them much after the new millenium, but I did see a few of there last shows. I used to live on tour in the nineties. I had a couple of discs that I listened to for a year or two before I saw them. first show was 11-10-95 in atlanta. I had a blast at that show, I had never seen music played like that and was hooked for the next five years.

D

dankbudz

yeah they got back together to play 3 songs at brad sands wedding. mike himself was on the burlington news a week or so ago saying a reunion will happen soon....but not soon enough.

umph420-thats a helluva way to start seeing phish. i actually couldnt(with a few exceptions) prob pick a better show for your first one. i went to the lemonwheel, big cypress, it and coventry. only missed a couple phish festies.

i listen to that went gin at least 2 times a week.

ive got mad phamily on lot. its the only place i feel home at. its just so blissful....sitting here thinking bout it makes me want to fly back to the east coast for the trey tour.

UmphreyMcgee420

Heady Connoisseur
Veteran
For sure. IT and Big Cypress were epic. I'm fortuate to check out trey at the rhyman. Phish and Dead summer tours would be nasty.

D

dankbudz

i remember summer03 doing the first leg of dead tour then entire phish tour then back to the dead. the dead really know how to tour

fisher15

classy grass
Veteran
Good to see some phish fans on the 'mag. Caught maybe 10 or 15 shows, some nice deer creek runs...man do I miss em! I hope they've had some time to think a lil and come back so fresh.

U

ureapwhatusow

I'm up and I can take what you give
And I'm here but I don't want you to live with me
`Cause all I want is a taste for free

I'm down and I will drag you along and around
Until you burst into song and unwind
And leave your new life behind for a while

Cause I can see through the lines

I'm down and I will drag you along and around
Until you burst into song and unwind
And leave your new life behind for a while

I'm out and I will stay here alone and without
Someone controlled by the phone and TV
`Cause what it's doing to me is fine

Oooh oooh
Step into space
Oooh oooh
Alter my place
Oooh oooh
That someone else made
Why I have stayed
Into things I could be
Or if I could see
Into fog that surrounds
And pins me to the ground

I can see through the lines

U

ureapwhatusow

first phish i heard was cliffords ball

first show was 04/03/98 if only i had heard of them earlier

bluebublelove

ureapwhatusow said:
first phish i heard was cliffords ball

first show was 04/03/98 if only i had heard of them earlier

nice. I was at all the island shows that tour. it was my birthday that week. do you remember at the nassau show that dude who got onstage and got chased around? don't let carini get you was our don't get busted driving motto later that summer!! LOL

D

dankbudz

if your gonna run up on stage dont let carini get you.....and dont attack the drummer!!!

the island run. would give my left nut to be at those shows. the roses are free and the halley's comet>tweeprise is the sickness!!! must hear for any phish head

southpaw76

I knew it was only a matter of time :joint: .
I miss phish as well but unless Trey gets his shit together, having them reunite wouldn't make much sense.

Now before I get shot at with rocket launchers and roman candles allow me to clarify my statement....
I have been playing the bass guitar for 20 years or so, have gigged extensively over the years and I have done plenty of session work. I love music in general. I've lived it almost religiously for most of my life. I've studied classical and jazz for many years now and enjoy a wide range of styles, particularly improvisational music.

My first Phish show was Atlanta, GA 10/31/96 (fucking incredible!!!)
My last Phish show was Coventry, VT their last two shows....

I've seen about 2 to 10 shows for every tour in between. I have the utmost respect and admiration for these guys as a group. Some of the best times of my life were at Phish shows and of course "me have no regrets".

My only consistent beef I've had with them has specifically been with the alpha dog himself, Ernesto J Anastasio III a.k.a Trey. Treys playing peaked in the late 90's and since then has gotten pretty sloppy. Now believe me, I understand that when you improvise live onstage it can get a bit scary which can lead to mistakes. But when you have been playing with the same guys for that many years there shouldn't be any reason for completely fucking up as much as he does, unless you're totally wasted.

So anyway theres my 2 cents :rasta:

bluebublelove

dankbudz said:
if your gonna run up on stage dont let carini get you.....and dont attack the drummer!!!

the island run. would give my left nut to be at those shows. the roses are free and the halley's comet>tweeprise is the sickness!!! must hear for any phish head

Left nut?? I lost the right one some time ago....if I can win the bid on this flux capacitor on ebay I'll send you back and we can work out a trade for lefty. I got the 1.21 jigawatts pumpin in the basement for the delorean...or in this case chevy.

southpaw76

Okay, does anyone remember Mikes Song at Big Cypress 12/30/99??? If you were there you'll know what I'm talking about :yoinks: :yoinks: :yoinks: !!!! The best Mikes ever...

U

ureapwhatusow

southpaw76 said:
Okay, does anyone remember Mikes Song at Big Cypress 12/30/99??? If you were there you'll know what I'm talking about :yoinks: :yoinks: :yoinks: !!!! The best Mikes ever...

followed by an absolutely epic simple