What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What Unusual Smells Have You Experienced And From What Strain?

MrBungle

Grew a C99 that smelled like ammonia and cat piss, top it off it had a old school earthy menthol taste I can't really describe and the smoke was great up weed with a paranoid edge.

I'd be willing to bet C99 has Afghani in it's lineage...

Pineapple Express has it too....

There is a strain called Cat Piss that smells like literal rancid, vomit in your mouth, Cat Piss.

when the bag opened it was like "ah f*ck no put that sh*t away. ah f*ck it there is no other smoke light it up."

The high is superb. uplifting. musical

I love that nasty catpiss funk. One of my favorite flavors. I've worked that strain for over a decade and have it in pure seed form.

In the early 90's I bought a bag from Berkeley that smelled and tasted just like ripe peppered tomatoes. I've never seen or tasted anything like it since.

xet

I love that nasty catpiss funk. One of my favorite flavors. I've worked that strain for over a decade and have it in pure seed form.

In the early 90's I bought a bag from Berkeley that smelled and tasted just like ripe peppered tomatoes. I've never seen or tasted anything like it since.

Nice I would love to get ahold of the Cat Piss strain. From what I remember it is very strong and long lasting.

As for the tomato I know a lot of that Mexican schwag might come with a tomato smell. I have had a few strawberry coughs with that tomato smell too. Some are super sweet strawberry and others are peppery tomato with a background of strawberry.

That real strawberry cough is the strongest stone. Alarmingly strong

R

Rubber Chicken

I grew a Super Critical from GHS about 7 years ago that smelled like crushed ants.... not EXACTLY but it was the first thing that came to mind when i was trying to evaluate it for myself.... something ant-insect-ish :redface:

I don't know if you have ever smelled a crushed ant but it's not very pleasant.

xet

Shiva Afghani had the strongest catpiss smell. Like concentrated ammonia

That is good to know about the Shiva.

Ammonia smells clean next to the Cat Piss strain. Very complex aroma of hot, bacterially-infested urine, bordering on goopy green baby-diaper but more about the musky week old cat piss in the middle of the 40 year old dirty carpet brewing in an old, hot, apartment where there is no cool weather and everywhere the light doesnt shine is funk and musk that sours the back of the throat and itches for a reflex cough

:)

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
That is good to know about the Shiva.

Ammonia smells clean next to the Cat Piss strain. Very complex aroma of hot, bacterially-infested urine, bordering on goopy green baby-diaper but more about the musky week old cat piss in the middle of the 40 year old dirty carpet brewing in an old, hot, apartment where there is no cool weather and everywhere the light doesnt shine is funk and musk that sours the back of the throat and itches for a reflex cough

:)

I made some S1 of sam's thunk that throws the deep cat piss.

Not as complex a high as the parent thunk, but interesting
just the same.

The parent thunk is straight up cracked black pepper.

Had some Nebula that was garlic and onions, not a keeper
in the lot.

another amazing smell ive experienced is literal grape jam butter toast. a buddy of mine gave me a clone from a single freebie seed of HSO black dog kush. it grew beautifully. the dried bud smelled exactly the same as the live plant. it smelled like deep Concorde grape jelly spread thick on buttery toast. it was sublime. one of those strains that you leave your face in the jar and huff it like paint thinner!! lol. the cross was Blackberry Kush x Headband. ill never get over how particular she smelled.. the nature of cannabis terpenes is incredible.

Tobold HB

There's a couple, a "DeathStar" clone that we acquired from a dispensary in Eugene, OR has one of the nastiest profiles. It's a mixture of new tires, diesel, wasabi, fresh skunk spray, mint, and garlic. It is honestly offensive. Another was a Montana Black seed (Bruce Banner #3 x Black Afghani) that reeked like sprite urinal cake and super pungent garlicy, meaty kind of smell. Reminded me of traditional Iranian cuisine, now that I think about it we grew a Grimmdica (Pure Afghani x Hashplant) from Brothers Grimm that had the same kind of funk without the sprite urinal cake. Also the reissued BG C99 wasn't that pungent live or dried, but in concentrate it smells like stinky cheese, b.o., and pineapples, tastes just like it too. We have a few in-house strains that are funky too, one smells like a mix of chem, lavender, and diesel. It's sister smells like rotten passion fruit.

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Deadhead OG - smelled like rotten, hot, chemmy garbage. I loved it. Had an OG nose on the ass end. Super potent. Regret losing it.

Trainwreck- Green House Seeds, smelled exactly like underneath a pier at the ocean. Most unpleasant smell I have ever had with cannabis. Line seemed stable enough, as multiple seeds carried the same smell.

Brother Nature

We've got a strain going around New Zealand, called Te Kakariki (the native Maori word for 'the green') and in both growth and final product there's a very strong smell of freshly grated carrots with a slight fruity note. Never smelt any weed like it and unfortunately don't know the correct lineage, but it's a very strong energetic Sativa high. Have heard it's got some S E Asian lines in its background which would make sense given the high, but it's definitely the most memorable smell I've had from a bud. Taste is much more fruity, kind of fruit punch like.

Trainwreck- Green House Seeds, smelled exactly like underneath a pier at the ocean. Most unpleasant smell I have ever had with cannabis. Line seemed stable enough, as multiple seeds carried the same smell.

Interesting DoubleTripleOG, I've grown those seeds out before and had never been able to really describe the smell, but that's a pretty good description. I used to just say "funky, but not in a good way". I quite liked the high from it though and luckily it didn't taste like that for me.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
We've got a strain going around New Zealand, called Te Kakariki (the native Maori word for 'the green') and in both growth and final product there's a very strong smell of freshly grated carrots with a slight fruity note. Never smelt any weed like it and unfortunately don't know the correct lineage, but it's a very strong energetic Sativa high.
I can't find the link now, but I remember them finding terpenes in carrots that linked to the smell, I'm guessing those terpenes were in that weed too.

clearheaded

I can't find the link now, but I remember them finding terpenes in carrots that linked to the smell, I'm guessing those terpenes were in that weed too.

if u search whole thread on it. i think its not 'terpenes' like skunk smell isnt a terpene but other chems that give smell. imagine what give cheese its smell isnt terpene either. scratching the surface with phto chemicals and effects :)

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
if u search whole thread on it. i think its not 'terpenes' like skunk smell isnt a terpene but other chems that give smell. imagine what give cheese its smell isnt terpene either. scratching the surface with phto chemicals and effects :)
I actually think it is a terpene in the carrot case. Lemme find the quote from the synopsis, it won't let me access whole paper.

A total of 52 compounds were quantified, of which mono- and sesquiterpenes accounted for ∼99% of the total volatile mass. Major volatile compounds were (−)-α-pinene, β-myrcene, (−)-limonene, (+)-limonene, (+)-sabinene, γ-terpinene, p-cymene, terpinolene, β-caryophyllene, α-humulene, and (E)- and (Z)-γ-bisabolene. A considerable increase in the concentration of mono- and sesquiterpenes was observed during refrigerated storage, whereas the concentration of terpenoids was around the same level during frozen storage. GC-O revealed that the major volatiles together with (+)-α-pinene, (−)-β-pinene, (+)-β-pinene, 6-methyl-5-hepten-2-one, (−)-β-bisabolene, β-ionone, and myristicin had an odor sensation, which included notes of “carrot top”, “terpene-like”, “green”, “earthy”, “fruity”, “citrus-like”, “spicy”, “woody”, and “sweet”.

On a personal note, what the hell does "terpene like" smell like?

Latest posts

Latest posts