What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

RIP "no" vote

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If the option comes back which it should in my opinion to help others like pappy mason jar, it should no longer be anonymous and should also require a paragraph of text explaining the problems with the information. (This could pop up in a box like the Glossary) In time this will make the forum a better place to be, this input will greatly stop trolling and free up server space and help reduce the bad information in the forums and keep threads shorter.

It should not be anonymous for reasons here in.

If a post has 7 of 9 people that found this unhelpful and the 7 of those 9 were supermods or well upstanding members and not groupies with no rep or grow threads then those people reading the posts could determine the factuality of the unhelpful comments in the posts by looking at the rating system and (box of text) to see who is saying that the information is shit and what is shit. This is why there need be no animosity for this function to be functional. (Just use it properly and don't allow animosity in the bottom right hand corner or further upgrade to my suggestion).

Kinda like the overgrow website work's now, removing the bad info and still showing the most valuable information to reduce the wasted server space!

Last edited:

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
i like it now if you disagree the person being downvoted or rated unhelpful will know who found them unhelpful. this can be a great help in understanding if there is a legit reason for the unhelpful or if it's just personal. if it's just personal you at least know who it is and can pay them back in kind, lol. i didn't mind having the unhelpful possibility, but it needed to be personalized just like the helpful votes.

but yeah from a moderating point of view this will save many reported post and complaints over time.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I plan on using this instead of neg repping...
2j3jin7.jpg

LOL, i love it.

L

Luther Burbank

You know how to tell if someone gets riled by unhelpfuls? They always mistake it for "neg rep" which is different, and they'll spend half their time talking about how little they're bothered by neg rep.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
it's a sad day indeed, RIP 'no' vote....

If mods had consulted me about it I would have said:
2j3jin7.jpg

L

Luther Burbank

Avi, maybe you should do one up that's just the words "you are unhelpful" on a black background.

Snypette

Veteran
one time someone dissed me in my own thread and 15 or 20 people had my back and clicked the 'no it was not helpful'. Now it just says 4 people found it helpful. LOL

paulo73

Convicted for turning dreams into reality
Veteran
Funny innit?!

Funny innit?!

one time someone dissed me in my own thread and 15 or 20 people had my back and clicked the 'no it was not helpful'. Now it just says 4 people found it helpful. LOL

Now easily a turd can be turned into gold:biggrin:

TickleMyBalls

just don't molest my colas..
Veteran
Weak sauce. That option is what set ICMAG apart from other sites. Want no anonymity for trolls? Leave the NO option and let the names of people who hit no show in public like RIU does with their like button.

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran

This is in particular my reasoning for the suggestion made earlier about a information box "much like the glossary" showing members and visitors those who disagree, and what their particular grievance is and why they do not find the information helpful so we can determine who is being an asshole and who is leading the blind on a merry mission around the forums.

I feel for you Snypette, people will always get jellous and disagree with others opinions, but facts are always facts.

Like Paulo says this system at present only serves to polish a turd and not reference any real correct literature presenting or separating the fact from the fiction.

Last edited:

TickleMyBalls

just don't molest my colas..
Veteran
I'm gonna boycott the buttons until the no comes back. Back to old school and really putting a dent in someone's rep. K+ and K- here I come!

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
I rarely got neg repped. if there were trolls everywhere, we would all have been upset.

too many pointless changes on this site lately.. if It aint broke..

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
i got a ton of red dots in the past 2-3 days the button's been gone. don't really care though i got like a million cool points that shit's not phasin me.

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
I couldn't care less about neg rep. you cant shut people up who disagree, they will just vent in other ways.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
yeah, but this is actually kinda better. if people read a thread and aren't being lazy then they can yes vote posts they like or are good, and simply not vote for the bad ones. reply if they have something to say and those posts can receive the same treatment.
it's like voting is prolly supposed to be. there's no negative in elections, you choose which one you like the most. the end.

i would like to suggest that there are little percentages next to the karma when you mouse over that shows where most of those came from. growers forums/off topic area's/general gardening. would go a long way to helping the n00bs. some people will admit 90% of theirs is from the den.

Snypette

Veteran
i don't care about the reps but i do think it was good to have some way on each specific post to say you disagreed. Unknowing people who are here looking for info read a post and then see 10 people said the post was helpful, well...

SeedsOfFreedom

Veteran
Beep beep the noob bus is here!

Best nutes = miracle grow

Best strain = low ryder

For the best yields use cfls

Im with pappy, this is the wussification of the world. Bad info, annoying people and bad attitudes deserve unhelpful answer ratings. It probably would have been better to put a limit on it so you couldn't be neg'd 20 times in a row instead of getting rid of it all together

Learn to hash it out like adults.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I used this to sort the loads of bad grow info from the good grow info. This site is one of the best but the info is far from 100%, now you really can't tell. Soon enough Miracle grow, CFLs, and Low Ryder might rule....

Status
Not open for further replies.