What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Grateful Dead thread...

mtbazz

Lets talk about the Dead...

Long time dead head here...don't really listen to them too much these days though.

Favorite era for me is pretty much the 70's....up to maybe 80-81 or so. Can't really listen to anything past that..don't like the sound of their instruments past that time frame, and the later in the 80's you go the worse Jerrys voice sounds to the point it is almost painful....

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
i really dig 68-74 that's the honey for me BUT but, i really dig the later 70's as well

there is lots of gold in the 80's and even 90's (Branford Marsalis), its funny cause I find DSO really "shows ya the light" when it comes to the 80's and 90's stuff and I often find myself getting sucked into shows of any era they play that normally I wouldn't seek out

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
Garcia band live vol 2 just released!
Keller Williams "keys" is amazing dead covers on piano. Proceeds to benefit the rex foundation.

mtbazz

i really dig 68-74 that's the honey for me BUT but, i really dig the later 70's as well

there is lots of gold in the 80's and even 90's (Branford Marsalis), its funny cause I find DSO really "shows ya the light" when it comes to the 80's and 90's stuff and I often find myself getting sucked into shows of any era they play that normally I wouldn't seek out

Ive heard some 80s stuff that I like, I have my favorites from that era...90s I just find to depressing....and Bruce with this accordion playing is just painful and annoying to me.

The thing i like about the 60s and 70s shows basically have to do with how free and spontaneous the jams were, and also the sounds of the instruments...everything to me just sounds so much better than that era.

The dead in the 80s and beyond seem like a totally different band than what they were i the 70s..

Kind of funny I feel that way considering all the shows I attended were in the 80s..

I also play in a dead cover band....all of those guys in that band are all about the 80s...

B

BugJar

second gen un-repentant head here.

on the bus? nope... struck by lightning

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
allgood coming up next month..
bob and phil
keller

ill be the guy in the grateful dead tee shirt smoking pot.
just walk up and punch me in the face so i know you are from ic(dont do this)

VortexPower420

Veteran
One in thenthousand here.....

I love the 67-69 pure raunchy psychedelic mayhem..

Enter 70-73 changing of the band to a country/jazz fusion band, great stuff

77-78 some of my fav. So tight turning on a dime amazing......

The 80's I know not some of the strongest years, there are some real gems in these years... and one thing else BRENT MYDLAND the Grateful Deads best key player.

I know I am going to catch gruff for that. Pig pen is the king of the Grateful dead, hell without him there would be no Dead, but lets face it he wasn't the best keys player. Bad ass singer and play the harp like none other, but he would stop playing when the went to far out.

I feel like Brent rekindled the bluesy soulfulness that a GD keys player should have.

Then the 90's. Hit and miss and mostly miss. Its kinda sad to listen to some of those shows. The last GD show ever was and is very sad to listen to, But id GD tradition you can always find gems.

That is my take on the highs and lows of GD land

LOVE LIVE THE GRATEFUL DEAD

Timbuktu

VortexPower420

Veteran
Dagnabit- youll be the guy in the GD t-shirt and Ill be the guy wearing patchworks and a tie-dye, I might have a dog and I will prob have a hat on, maybe with some pins on it.

I'm sure you wouldn't be able to miss me, I could imagine anyone else wearing the same thing.

Youll be easy to pick out.

Joke toke or smoke........420 Roadblock

How many Deadheads does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Timbuktu