What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pseudomonas chlororaphis 63-28.....need more info

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
ive run into a problem with root rot...and been doing some searching through university articles, and came across this

and was wondering if anyone can give me a bit more info on it or products containing it or where to get it? my search for that has come up nil.

Attachments

• SOPHER.pdf
    262.5 KB · Views: 60

Oregonism

Might also want to check out anaerobic actinomycetes produced from some certain Fermented Plant Extracts. It is a kind of a general idea, since there are quite a few, but many have been isolated, I seem to remember that some isolates quell certain areas related to root rot. I do have some research material but I have to dig it out, don't think it is online anywhere....bear with me, try to dig out the citation tomorrow!

MIway

Veteran
hi joe!

not sure on the p.chlororaphis... but oregonism has p.aureofaciens, which is of the same family... so thinking comparable effects. great white has it as well... humbolt myco too. but those are all shotgun approaches.

mad professor

Hi, Joe. When reading such articles it is very important to remind ourselves that most Plant x Organism interactions are often predominately controlled by phenotype x phenotype interactions, ie. even if the Pseudomonas chloro strain 63-28 is effective in inoculating particular individuals amongst lineages of this crop (capsicum annum), it might hardly work at all in heirloom varieties (in large part due to the differences in signalling molecules, read over NOD factors if your unfamiliar with root communication)*

In sum, just saying don't worry about the strain! and i think trying to individually isolate the species in question is perhaps also a job you might not want to do (unless your stoked on microbiology).

I will reinforce 'Miway' opinion that introducing multiple symbiotic associations is probably the best way to deal with root rot. Isolating species, and then characterizing novel molecules from microorganisms and speculating on their effects on plants is the most important agricultural research we can be doing as a species ATM, but we are still slowly learning to effectively implement this knowledge! (we are learning more than we know what to do with it :))

Let us not overlook a rule of thumb when dealing with natural systems though, Diversity is key! (just reinforcing the idea of using compost tea, or beneficial microorganism blends.)

The only advice in the abiotic realm i could remind you of is to make sure you have good root O2 flow, but you seem to be a very experienced grower and i bet that's already covered. In light of this study maybe you can start to play w/ your water temps too...

btw if your still unswayed by my testament, you might be able to track some of this down through the 'American Type Culture Collection'.

-i must beg apologies for not putting up sources, but i am confident in the scientific accuracy of my statements.
* = Even though I mention a higher affinity between lineages of plants to strains it really does come down to genotype x organism

cyat

Veteran
truth casei? if i recall correctly

much more than that just not listed on the bottle. info at terraganix

EM® stands for Effective Microorganisms®, an all-natural blend of beneficial microorganisms. EM∙1® Microbial Inoculant is made through a natural process of fermentation. Nothing has been genetically altered or chemically engineered. EM® is safe and easy to use and is listed as a fully organic product by OMRI. EM∙1® is now being used in over 120 countries, and is resolving a broad variety of environmental problems.
The primary ingredients of EM® are comprised of three main genera: phototropic bacteria, lactic acid bacteria, and yeast. These naturally-occurring ingredients work synergistically together to secrete beneficial substances such as vitamins, hormones, enzymes, organic acids, bioactive minerals, and various antioxidants when in contact with organic matter.
The key ingredient in Effective Microorganisms® that distinguishes it from other microbial blends is the phototropic strain of bacteria called rhodopsuedomonas palustris—an ancient group of beneficial microbes known to break down and digest toxic substances. This unique ingredient has been shown to produce a broad variety of antioxidant byproducts including: inositol, ubiquinone, saponin, low-molecular polysaccharides, polyphenols, and chelates of minerals. These antioxidant alliances act to promote natural defense systems that suppress the growth of detrimental bacteria.
EM∙1® Microbial Inoculant was discovered by the horticultural biologist Dr. Teruo Higa. It was first marketed in Japan in 1982 for organic agriculture. EM®∙1® is now being produced in 54 countries and is being used for a broad variety of environmental-quality applications.

Last edited:

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
EM-1 is not available in canada due to importation restrictions...

so far the ONLY product i have found to contain pseudomonas chlororaphis is in AN piranha...

this is the liquid

PiranhaLiquid_GA_bg.gif

and this is the powder
Piranha_GA_bg.gif

why do they not contain the same stuff??they look to be completely different products

anyone can find something diff pls let me know

Iffy

Nil Illegitimus Carburundum
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Rot Stop

Rot Stop

Hi folks,
Just diagnosed root rot in my garden :watchplant:
Has anyone used Guard 'n' Aid - Rot Stop? If so what were the results?

gmanwho

Veteran
Old thread, but current problem. Through an EPA link i found only one product currently registered in the US to contain pseudomonas chlororaphis strain 63-28. The product is named Ateze from Turf sciences in Cali. So far i am having difficult time to find the product online.

another search lead me to a book worth taking a look at, Beneficial Plant-Bacterial Interactions

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Need to understand which rot you have. Sclerotinia is the one that is more prevalent. Contans by Bayer is the best control.

Rots on clones often happen due to bad nutrition in the moms. It there is low Ca, you are going to have a hard time getting a callus much less disease free cuts.

See it EVERYWHERE we visit that is making clones.

Here is a pic of a "bad" vs "good" clone. Take a knife to your clones and check in!

Attachments

• IMG_20180530_124509_666.jpg
    IMG_20180530_124509_666.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 32
  • good clone.jpg
    good clone.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 27

Latest posts

Latest posts