What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Proxy server issues with icmag

gmanwho

Veteran
High all. i am having an issue with my proxy server, anonymouse.org.

It seems when ever i post, it somehow asks the person who is viewing the thread, other then me, for a log on name and password.

Not sure if its only when im online, or it it happens always.

Not sure if it happens when i post a pic, or just a reply in a thread.

All i know is some people are scared when this window pops up. And that not my intentions at all.

The Vip version of anonymous is an add free proxy. So its not spam type shit..

Somehow it thinks the person is me and ask for a log on.

Any thoughts...

B-safe

wintermute

CGI Proxies

CGI Proxies

High all. i am having an issue with my proxy server, anonymouse.org.

It seems when ever i post, it somehow asks the person who is viewing the thread, other then me, for a log on name and password.

That doesn't make sense. AnonymouseWWW is a CGI based web proxy (like Anonymizer's free service used to be) and has no impact on other people's sessions.

The exception would be if multiple people sharing the same Anonymouse exit point were using icmag.com at the same time. Even then, your session is bound to your browser, so no inteference should occur.

I always use proxies to access icmag.com and have never encountered this behavior.

Somehow it thinks the person is me and ask for a log on.
Any thoughts...

I suspect what is happening is your images or whatever you post into a thread as attachments require an authenticated session to view.

This is a feature, not a bug! Requiring an icmag.com login to access certain pics keeps them from getting cached by google and other web crawlers, and restricts viewing to members of this site.

Hope that helps!

gmanwho

Veteran
That doesn't make sense. AnonymouseWWW is a CGI based web proxy (like Anonymizer's free service used to be) and has no impact on other people's sessions.

The exception would be if multiple people sharing the same Anonymouse exit point were using icmag.com at the same time. Even then, your session is bound to your browser, so no inteference should occur.

I always use proxies to access icmag.com and have never encountered this behavior.

I suspect what is happening is your images or whatever you post into a thread as attachments require an authenticated session to view.

This is a feature, not a bug! Requiring an icmag.com login to access certain pics keeps them from getting cached by google and other web crawlers, and restricts viewing to members of this site.

Hope that helps!

See the thing is the images posted here are from my icmag album, and aer not attachments that would need to be opened.

I have since turned off these other functions on anonymouse when i log on lately. i shut off , allow cookies, browser infos, and reffering website. I have to re log on to icmag often now as it forgets who i am now.

would the brower info option allow something like before to happen, or the use cookies?

B-safe

Skip

Veteran
I'm not having any probs viewing your images.

If ppl have any problem viewing stuff on icmag they should tell their browsers to "trust" icmag.com, then it will allow all content.

gmanwho

Veteran
Skip, u sent me a message 2 weeks ago about my posts causing issues. I have changed some settings on my proxy server and seems to have stopped the issues. remember the " VIP anonymouse.org " log on screen popping up? issues. people did complain.. A mod even deleted one of my earlier threads over in the hydro section.

It wasnt the viewers browser having security issues.

it wasn't a matter of having problems viewing my posts, the posts where there to read. but it would send the "VIP anonymouse.org log on screen" whenever people viewed my posts. It would ask them for a user name and password, when they entered the Log & pass incorrectly it would then direct there browser to the Anonymouse.org website and say log on error.

Now it remembers me as always, so i never see that vip log on screen. but the viewer of the thread it will pop up

it may only do it when im online using the proxy ? not sure??

very odd, i tried getting help from the proxy site and i haven't heard back.

But, it seems to not be bothering others since i took off all proxy site referring browser options.

Any more ideas guys???

B-safe

wintermute

it may only do it when im online using the proxy ? not sure??
very odd, i tried getting help from the proxy site and i haven't heard back.
Any more ideas guys???

Very strange; the only other cause I can think of is if Anonymouse.com was having CGI re-writing issues with URL's in post body content. This could cause the BB code you submit to be prefixed with an Anonymouse redirect prefix, and so all viewers would load images relative to their service.

Hard to know unless one of the threads back when it was a problem was still up and still doing it.

I'd like to know what it ends up being whenever you find out! :)

gmanwho

Veteran
Wintermute, check out oldpinks link. apparently its causing issues there.

let us know, and btw, I checked, an there is no mention of the anonymouse.org in any of the picture url's. Unless theres something i missed.... which then is not obvious to me.

B-safe

Skip

Veteran
Here is the thread that got binned, it's still doing it on there
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=2690661#post2690661

I've fixed that thread now, but I don't know where it's supposed to go.

Can some mod move it back to the right forum?

If anyone wants to know, the problem was the proxy service he was using was including their url as part of the image links, which is why it was asking everyone to sign in. Just bad links is all.

wintermute

If anyone wants to know, the problem was the proxy service he was using was including their url as part of the image links, which is why it was asking everyone to sign in. Just bad links is all.

Thanks for the explanation!

Is there a list of bad CGI proxies somewhere? (perhaps linked from the Privacy sticky topic?)
Bad CGI proxies rewriting POST body content is annoying :)

EDIT: This is why I like transparent or IP based proxies like Janus VM, XeroBank VPN, or Tor in transparent TCP / DNS proxy mode. HTTP, SOCKS and CGI proxies all lack robustness that a good transparent proxy mode provides.

Skip

Veteran
I wouldn't blame the proxy service really. It's just a combination of our image posting utility and the addition to the URLs that that proxy service adds. So it's not really post content that has changed, only the url of the links.

gmanwho

Veteran
I wouldn't blame the proxy service really. It's just a combination of our image posting utility and the addition to the URLs that that proxy service adds. So it's not really post content that has changed, only the url of the links.

Which is weird, since the album and photo links are here, in my albums, and the link within the thread only directs to that location within my album. I didnt see any code about anonymouse in any of my photo url's. Maybe I missed some.

Im gonna log off, and log back on with settings on the proxy like i believe they where and post a pic up here and see if i get the anonymouse to enter into the url again.

doesnt seem right, but you would know better.

Hopefully this is the end of it.

B-safe & thank you.

gmanwho

Veteran
I've fixed that thread now, but I don't know where it's supposed to go.

Can some mod move it back to the right forum?

It goes to the hydro forum.

I have not seen the their url in my photo BB code. How can i view where you have seen there url, cause i need to make sure for future posts.

Thank you.

B-safe

Skip

Veteran
switchmode.gif
<- This is the button you use to view the underlying code. When you see it you'll see the problem.

Latest posts

Latest posts