What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

lucas in a nutshell?

St3ve

Whoops... sorry then for the bad info. I clearly didn't remember any mention of that.

I've been running the regular Lucas for years with success. I can't believe that I didn't remember reading that. Oh well..

@OSBC- If I remember correctly, that was originally recommended for vegging in low light conditions, like under t-5's. Of course I smoke a boat load of weed so.............

tfd

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
but for me its not clear why using 7g of MAXIBLOOM and 8ml of FLORANOVA should result in the same nutrient ratio...

MAXIBOOM 5-15-14
FLORANOVA 4-8-7

Hi. Quite simply, they do not equal the same ratios, as you can see.

edit: sorry, didn't notice there was more pages back here!

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
@OSBC- If I remember correctly, that was originally recommended for vegging in low light conditions, like under t-5's. Of course I smoke a boat load of weed so.............

tfd

i just went to lucasformula . com and you are correct.

i have always used 0-5-10 in veg, but then again i was under flouro's...

Lucas said use 0-8-16 if you veg under HID...

The misconception probably exists because a lot of people veg under flouros...

OSBC

with plants in sunshine#4 i am experiencing a high ec from the soil runoff.i dont achieve runoff in my reg irrigations 2 feeds and 1 water.. should i aloow run of of say 15 to 25 %?

jumanji2

I'm about to hop back on the dwc train, and want to use the LF, my tap is horrible, 300+ ppm. Can I use the hard water micro or how could adjust to that hard water, without buying a RO device(not yet al least) or buying a buch of water.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
My old tap was 0.5 EC (250-300 "PPM") and growing was an effortless wet dream. My new tap is "virtual" RO (too low to measure. My truncheon won't even turn on) and growing is an endless nightmare. I went from twice monthly maintenance to twice daily.

RO water is dead water. It's expensive, wasteful and a royal pain. Unless you have reason to avoid tap, and you've suggested no such reason, I'd start there.

jumanji2

My old tap was 0.5 EC (250-300 "PPM") and growing was an effortless wet dream. My new tap is "virtual" RO (too low to measure. My truncheon won't even turn on) and growing is an endless nightmare. I went from twice monthly maintenance to twice daily.

RO water is dead water. It's expensive, wasteful and a royal pain. Unless you have reason to avoid tap, and you've suggested no such reason, I'd start there.

Hmm..ok. thinking about it I've never had a real bad issue with the tap, just figured its "better" for them. I used heads 6/9 for coco and it barely went over 1000ppm if I remember so I'm sure this would be similar. What's your take on the hard water micro with this formula and my tap?

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Beware of matching numbers to a chart that has never met you or your grow and has no idea of what you're doing. One man's floor is anothers ceiling but, you say 1000 "PPM", I say get the fire extinguisher before the house explodes...

BUT I'm not a coco user, you guys have different rules. Given that Micro formulas are used at 1/2 the rate of Bloom, I'd buy the biggest bottle of Bloom you're comfortable with and the smallest bottle of hardwater Micro and see if there are deficiencies.

jumanji2

I understand what u mean. There came a point where I just stopped measuring 'ppm' and just watched the plants not the numbers. You have to just check sometimes though imo. But all the coco I'm workin with is for moms now, and switching to dwc for the regular rotation.

I'm sorry if I wasnt clear with my question FB, I was asking if you've ever used hard water micro with lucas since you seem to have tap with high EC as well. Or maybe I didn't understand your answer lol. Either way I'm down to expirement.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
OSBC said:
why r users posting 5 micro and 10 bloom as lucas veg?

Because the GrowFAQ from OG (repeated on many sites and by many people) is wrong and says 0-5-10 is for vegging.

Lucas recommends 0-5-10 for flowering under low-light conditions. We're talking T8 and T12 Fluoros here, possibly lower wattage T5's? If you're running 50wpsqf with CFL's you're going to want closer to 0-8-16.

FreezerBoy said:
My new tap is "virtual" RO (too low to measure. My truncheon won't even turn on) and growing is an endless nightmare. I went from twice monthly maintenance to twice daily.
Would you elaborate on the maintenance you're having to do? Been using Lucas with R/O for a decade without issues.... several different types of setups.....

Whatcha doing and what's the issue?

Jumanji2: I've used hardwater micro with lucas. Once bought it by accident and had to use it for a couple weeks.

Used it with R/O water and the timing couldn't have been better. Had been growing in DWC and the plants had gotten a bit too big for the screen height I'd designed.

The hardwater micro (in R/O water) without the calcium allowed the plants to get really soft and rubbery.... bent them under the screen and tucked em all nice without breaking anything. Got the regular micro about the time they started to suffer from no calcium.

If your tapwater has enough calcium in it... with little else, I would say try it. Personally I prefer R/O water as it provides reliability and repeatability like no other water source. I've lived in crappy water places my whole life and I've moved a LOT. :D

Stay Safe! :D

Rookie green

thanks for this post

ill go give it a try with GHE Flora Soft Water micro and tap water on 0.38 EC with a
4,8 mg/liter Mg and 46,5 mg/liter Ca.
haveing troubles with the lack of Mg in both soil and hydro grow, maybe this could help me move on
starting out on 1 mother plant in DWC arround 6 weeks old now with the 0-5-10 formel with (4x18 w T5) lights 2 vertikal and 2 horisontial

Latest posts

Latest posts