What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Breeding Beet Seeds: Appropriate Hydroponic Systems?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Beets require overwintering for the production of seeds. I would prefer to grow my beets hydroponically, yet still be able to fit them in my chest freezer. Standard small freezer, almost square. It's currently empty enough to hold nearly anything.

Does anyone know if a quick freeze will ruin a beet root? Would I have to start them chilly and turn it down over 24hrs? (Edit: Found the answer myself. Only need to chill it for a while. I'll be making a box for the fridge or be turning the freezer down to overwintering temps. ;))

I'm shooting for around 6-8 plants. This will allow me to make some seeds for spring, while also supplying a lot of delicious greens. :) Anyone have experience breeding beet seeds, soil or hydroponically? I'm working with an heirloom variety.

They do not require "overwintering". They require vernalization. Temps below 10ºC and above -4ºC for 8 weeks will suffice. Throw them in your refrigerator, not a freezer.

As for soil vs. hydro, I believe that is entirely up to you. Beets are not grown hydroponically for the simple reason there a low value crop, and produce just fine in soil. However, if choosing soil, and if planting them in pots, make sure the pots are deep enough so the taproot doesn't touch, or you'll be getting a premature seed crop.

6-8 plants however, will not do much for you(or the heirloom) in the long run. 120-200 plants for a seed bearing population is the minimum to retain important traits, vigour and to avoid inbreeding depression(Ref: John Navazio, The Organic Seed Grower).
That number is post-selection, meaning you'll start with at least 20-50% more, depending on the stability of the variety.

If you don't have much or any experience producing a seed crop, try starting with annuals, like lettuce(this is not to dissuade you, I encourage what you're doing, but biennial seed crops can be difficult, time-consuming and with little reward).

Hope this helps.

Douglas.Curtis

Appreciate the info, so no experience with hydro beets? No worries, I'm finding they're quite adaptable to hydro and people are growing them in all kinds of containers. Hydro beet greens are plentiful and tasty for a home crop. :)

The 6-8 plants is only for creating a quick crop of seeds for beets this spring. I'm planning a preservation seed run next fall, just don't have the spot for it yet. Indeed, I'm aware I'll need a lot more than 6-8 plants for an open pollination. No worries, and thanks. :) Going to be a LOT of beet greens from that run. lol

Stinkhorn123

Doug is your spring crop going to be hydro or soil? We grow several 1000 beets a year in a surprisingly small area. You can really pack them together in fertile soil, but properly thin them or like Jack T says they will prematurely go to seed.I have never saved their seeds but this post got me thinking. Good luck bro I love beets.

Douglas.Curtis

Doug is your spring crop going to be hydro or soil? We grow several 1000 beets a year in a surprisingly small area. You can really pack them together in fertile soil, but properly thin them or like Jack T says they will prematurely go to seed.I have never saved their seeds but this post got me thinking. Good luck bro I love beets.
The spring crop is strictly soil, it's supposed to be stupidly rich in this area. ;) Apparently I'm also a fan of beets, not something I was able to say in the past.

Hrmmm... go to seed when tightly packed... yeah...

Douglas.Curtis

I went with 8 seedling sprouts in a 6" netpot lid, on top of a 5 gallon bucket. DWC. 3.5w ActiveAir.
I don't have GH Flora Grow, nor do I have a feeding chart for beets. lol At the moment I have them at about 1kppm of Lucas @ 6.5pH (8:16 Micro Bloom) and some epsom for magnesium.

They're under a 15w screw-in LED and looking great. :DSaveSave

Douglas.Curtis

However, if choosing soil, and if planting them in pots, make sure the pots are deep enough so the taproot doesn't touch, or you'll be getting a premature seed crop.
Is there anything wrong with the seeds from this method? Is it unreliable, as in only happening with some plants or at different times?

All I meant by that was the taproot should not be impeded, otherwise plants may stress and 'bolt' to seed.
It sounds like you'll be fine, but as I said, no experience in growing beets hydroponically but with DWC sounds like they'll get huge.

Douglas.Curtis

All I meant by that was the taproot should not be impeded, otherwise plants may stress and 'bolt' to seed.
It sounds like you'll be fine, but as I said, no experience in growing beets hydroponically but with DWC sounds like they'll get huge.
Exactly, and my end goal is to produce seeds. I take it you haven't had much experience with using bolting as a seed generation method?

Yes, I'm expecting (should I get the feed right) a whole mess of greens. lol