What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

anyone using a coffee grinder? pros and cons?

Max Headroom

Veteran
i know this is a first world problem, but i'm kinda tired of grinding my weed by hand. :comfort:
i use a volcano, so the more finely the herb is ground up, the better.

is anyone using an electric coffee grinder for their weed? pros? cons?

i'm interested how much of the weed just gets mashed up and sticks to the walls of the grinder. i don't wanna have to rinse it with iso every couple of weeks.

i usually grind up 1 or 2 grams at a time, no more.

my standard aluminum grinder with keif-catcher has been doing an ok job for many years, but it's not optimal.

Whenever I see some1 using a coffee grinder on any weed that's actually worth smoking I can't help but think NOOB in my head lol

Isn't it obvious to everyone that all the lovely resin, you know the crystals on the plant which hold the most thc/cannabainoids are gonna come flying off your bud and stick to the lid and sides of the coffee grinder?

Sure, you can scrape the grinder and have a nice keif session once it builds up a Lil but seems pretty fucking stupid to knock off all the resin which makes the weed much less potent and taste shitty so you can smoke it later when you could just use a regular grinder with a screen, smoke weed with most of the resin still in tact and still get a nice Kiefer (and more pure kief) session after you grind a few grams through it and it collects under the screen

Think about it like this, would you grind your weed in a fuckin blender? Cuz a coffee grinder is just a mini blender.

Unless your planning on turning a bunch of shitty, dry weed into hash, coffee grinders and blenders shouldn't be near the smoking table

Green Squall

Not a good idea. You want to grind your bud, not pulverize it. I'd do some research and buy a better herb grinder.

Spaventa

Veteran
I will only use hand grinders because I only grind enough to bust it up. half a rotation sometimes. Not trying to micronise it. I want a Quarzt one to match my bong :) I bet good polished quartz wouldn't get as stuck to the resin either. BUT if it did, you could use the whole thing a nail/banger!! If no-one makes one, Im gonna!

Max Headroom

Veteran
thanks for the replies.
i DO want to grind the bud very finely but i don't want all the resin to get squashed and stuck to the inside.
are there any models of hand-grinders that grind especially fine?
the style of the aluminum one i use seems to be very popular, but doesn't grind fine enough for my taste.

I use an electric coffee grinder every fucking day.
I screen the ground weed on a 5 x 3/4 slotted screen, which removes big pieces and seeds, if you are so lucky.
I'm a heavy user though.

Easy7

Veteran
Never needed a grinder myself. Nothing wrong with breaking up buds by hand. Usually a pipe smoker, chillum / spoons and occasional doobie.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just tap it a few times rather than blenderize.

I had a great one years ago. Two taps and you had a pile of weed in one side and sticks on the other.

I like when people think their opinion is the only opinion. What a small little world to live in.

If you're that concerned about a bit of crystal, grow more.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well then we're both idiots.

Wanna get married?

I hear buttbabies are impossible but the government is testing it out in the penitentiary system.

Free lollipop if you get the reference.

Last edited:

pumpkinpie eyes

Veteran
A couple of pulse grinds don't hurt much fer coffee grinder. If you have arthritis, it works better n furniture casters - which iz what grinder iz

Max Headroom

Veteran
well it seems i will have to try it out for myself. let's see if one of my coffee-drinking friends has one they don't use anymore. ;)

X

xavier7995

I used one way back when to break up brick weed quickly. It does get it fairly fine, used to roll a shitload of joints at once and it could breakdown an ounce into a good joint rolling consistency in a minute or two. It really seems like overkill though if you are just doing a gram or two. I have seen some of the wooden grinders that have a lot of little posts, rather than the big teeth of a spacecase, get it down to a near powder, so that might be a viable option.

Jhhnn

Veteran
thanks for the replies.
i DO want to grind the bud very finely but i don't want all the resin to get squashed and stuck to the inside.
are there any models of hand-grinders that grind especially fine?
the style of the aluminum one i use seems to be very popular, but doesn't grind fine enough for my taste.

There's this-

http://sales.magic-flight.com/finishing-grinder/

Never used one myself, so you're on your own...

I'm sure a coffee grinder would work for a fine grind. We drink a lot of coffee, and the Krups 203 is the best of what we've tried.

The worst that happens is you end up with a coffee grinder...

Latest posts

Latest posts