What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best brand of Worm castings

I am currently using Roots Organics Big Worm castings. Seem to be fine in the soil mixes, as well as the EWC teas.

That being said, i'm hoping these guys can produce enough for me to subsist without buying more...

coast of maine is my favorite been giving roots organics big worm a go and i like what im seeing.

wiggle worm should only be bought as a last resort. if you look close enough youll see the sand

This is what I am sifting this month. Diverse inputs are great, but if it's not fresh.... Age and storage is the problem. Tons of vermicompost sitting in sealed sacks for who knows how long.

Attachments

• IMG_2412.jpg
    IMG_2412.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 10

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
...Tons of vermicompost sitting in sealed sacks for who knows how long.

In talking to the owner of Agrowinn, he reminded me that worm castings are "alive" and need air, water and food (just like all living things). If the worm castings are stored in a bucket (which I do), make sure the lid is NOT secured tightly as it will cut off the air supply. The bucket lid I have is the type with 4 contact points that secures the lid tightly to the bucket...so I just push down on a single contact point and let the other 3 "hang" open. Always see a bit of moisture/condensation underneath the lid...so I know I'm good!

Sustainable gardening practices encourage buying things that are locally sourced--although Escondido (home of Agrowinn) is a just few hours drive, I buy mine at OC Farm Supply.

D

Dioni

I have a lid for my castings pail that I sliced an "X" in the top of with a razor knife so it stays nice and fresh. :biggrin:

moses wellfleet

Veteran
It's a good sign if there are some worms at the bottom of the bag.

Microbe man has a recipe on his site for reviving old tired worm castings. Involves some bran and molasses, cant remember exact quantities!

Dog Star

Veteran
Imagine worms feeded with Atlantic crunched Kelp and then those worm poop quality...

if you give worms good food to process in that way it will reflect on poop quality,have a feel there is a very good connection between worms and quality of their feed and later
reflection on a poop quality when we use it for growing plants... heheehehe

Am the poop-master.. ;) LOL

nameless

bowlbreath
Veteran
i personally just get ewc fresh from the local bait farm. ive been using ewc from canadian nightcrawlers for years, i pay 5$ for 40 lbs./50 for a scoop. and when you need 3-400 lbs at a time that helps.
that being said, if you cant find good stuff on the streets, do your own! dont get better than that!

St. Phatty

Am the poop-master.. ;) LOL

Every county needs at least 1 Poop Master.

Just like they have a Water Master.

I guess Washington DC might need 1 million poop masters to deal with all their BS.

But in the world of real steer manure :woohoo:

"Survivalism" is more in the news these days.

I think the communities that are best able to survive,

are the communities that have the cooperation skills

to deal with a touchy subject:

Human Night soil, and using it in your garden.

I know it's enough to give 10,000 SoCal HOA managers high blood pressure ... but the fact is, it takes energy to make good fertilizer.

So, throwing away good fertilizer is not a good idea in a situation where energy is scarce.

Sort of along those lines, I was thinking of giving one of my plants composted Kitty Poop from a cat that was born house-broken.

Muleskinner

Veteran
At my old house I use to dig a small hole, about 1 foot deep by 2 feet wide, and shovel all my 2 dog's shits in there. When it would fill up I'd cover it with an inch or two of dirt or mulch.

Over the next couple months the area would fill completely wall-to-wall with earth worms. After about 6 months you stick a shovel in there and turn it over and it would be 100% worm castings. Once shovelful under the shrubs around the house made them go crazy with growth. I wouldn't bring it indoors though.

D

Dioni

My castings source collects certain manures from the zoo, the results of the microbes in my tea is astounding in only 24hrs.

LostTribe

Premium user
I prefer black gold, easy year round access at any ace hardware. Nice Peat and compost also. OMRI listed for all 3 of those.