What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seeds, Soil and 16 Square Feet

Siskiyou

Veteran
I mentioned before that when first making clones of the Dream Beaver seed plants, DB1 and DB5 clearly looked like the standout females, so they were the ones I cloned. I made two clones of each when the plants were 14 days into flower. All four clones rooted quickly and began to grow almost immediately.

Since I had an extra healthy clone of both DB1 and DB5 that had been taken from a flowering plant, I decided to put one clone of each immediately back into flower in full strength soil. Neither clone had gone fully vegetative and were making single bladed leaves with frost. They were only a tiny bit larger than the cuttings from which they were made.

Just like in the seed plants, DB1 and DB5 clones look quite different from each other. DB1 looks very Indica, short and stout and thick, with wider leaves. DB5 looks very Sativa, tall, with much longer internodal spaces, narrower leaves and smaller calyxes.

The DB clones that did not get flowered were topped, and are being trained for potential motherhood, each having contributed a few more clones for the cause already.

The experimental DB clones that were quickly put back into flower look like this after 42 days of flowering.

DB1 clone@42
picture.php
picture.php

DB5 clone @42
picture.php
picture.php

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice thread Sisikou, glad i stumbled upon it...
thanks for sharing your experiences with soil-building, I'll be tuned in... interested in your Bodhi gear pheno hunt.
I'm growing out the "kindness" strain and "golden triangle" of bodhi's and am very interested in some of his strains.

so keep up the good work, nice pics
great to see what you can do even with a small garden footprint.

Siskiyou

Veteran
Avinash.miles. Wow. Thank You, very much.

I love the Bodhi gear I have grown so far, these three "Daughters Of Appalachia".

Kindness and Golden Triangle are both on the list of strains I want to check out.

Thanks again.

Siskiyou

Veteran
The Lucky Charms I am currently flowering (day 54) shows a bit more foxtailing than in past runs, although that trait has been present. Temps have been just a bit cooler, so heat is not the reason. I can't be 100% sure, but I feel that resin production is also up a bit.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Siskiyou

Veteran
Just noticed something. Those of you into fractals and/or holography might appreciate this.

On the left is a bud of the Dream Beaver 5 seed plant (it is a close-up of the one I mentioned as being characteristic of the budshape for the whole plant.)

On the right is the flowering DB5 clone. Compare the shape of the bud to the shape of the whole DB5 clone.

picture.php
picture.php

Siskiyou

Veteran
What I know about the Dream Beavers so far:

DB1 is tasty smoke, but has a tendency to grow very thick buds that will require excellent environmental control. She is so short that to create an even canopy she will need a booster seat if grown with other plants. I will grow her from clone at least once more, attempting to grow multiple tops and veg for longer.

DB4 smells and tastes delicious, but grew very small from the seed plant. Since DB4 seemed to suffer more damage than DB1 or DB5 from her initial transplant, I will grow her from clone at least once more, with a nice long veg.

DB5 is long and lanky. She needs training. My strategy for her would be a very early topping or LST training. Maybe a tomato cage. Short veg times are appropriate here. Initial tastes are less dank than DB1 or DB4, but a bit spicy and maybe even woody. Perhaps the bit of harshness on the back of the throat will diminish after a little time in the jar. One strike against DB5 was discovered during trimming. On the underside of one bud that was on a lower-middle branch was a small cluster of male flowers. I have read that seed plants sometimes do this even though their clones will be stable, but I now have doubts about DB5. The clone plant that is flowering has been inspected very carefully and I don't see any indication of a nanner. Now I know how the seed in LC came about. I have still only found that one.

All three DB females are worth another look. Based on flavor and smell, the keeper here would be DB4, but I need to grow a fully healthy clone out to see what she is capable of. There was so much diversity in this first half-pack of seeds that I am excited to see what is in the second half.

Siskiyou

Veteran
I take 100% responsibility for stressing the Dream Beavers with an early transplant into a hot mix, resulting in visible leaf burn, stunting their growth, and in the case of DB5 a male flower. This is a survival response in cannabis. Since the Dream Beavers were stressed before I took clones, although the clone plants look quite healthy, that stress point is in their life history. As a result I am not too surprised to find this on the flowering DB5 clone.

picture.php

Siskiyou

Veteran
The Lucky Charms will probably come down a few days earlier this time. She is giving me every indication of approaching her peak. I have taken the clone as far as 70 days, but right at 63 or so has been the best smoke so far.

Siskiyou

Veteran
I'm going to piss somebody off here, but this has been bugging me.

The incorrect usage of the term "pheno" continues to grow. Are we just going to roll with it? Some growers who want to sound educated are even using "phenotype" to refer to observable differences between different seed plants of the same strain. That usage is not correct.

Phenotypic differences refer to observable differences in plants that result from environmental conditions. For instance, a cut grown indoors versus outdoors would have very different phenotypic expressions even though the genetics are identical. Even HPS vs. LED or different training methods on cuts result in different phenotypes even though the genetics (genotype) are the same.

This has come up before.

In my cut&paste notes I have this excellent quote by SaBeS
"...each seed is a separate genotype, that can express different phenotypical traits in different conditions...a good example of a phenotype is a plant that exhibits purple traits only at certain temperatures. " SaBeS

Siskiyou

Veteran
Great looking plants you have!

I love organic stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks and welcome.

I didn't set out to grow organically on principle, I just wanted the best, healthiest herb I could grow and I didn't want to waste my precious resources.

Throwing away good soil is absurd!

cant believe I never looked up the word phenotype... Smh

thought I'd support a fellow brodhi. Great thread brother. Don't be afraid to share your thoughts more often, very glad you informed us on the proper usage of phenotype. What should we use in its place?

Siskiyou

Veteran
What should we use in its place?

I have been using "seed plant", "cut" or "mother" where appropriate instead of "pheno" but that is admittedly less sleek and convenient. The worst part is the easy-cool term "pheno hunt" which would more correctly be a "geno hunt" but that sounds horrible. "Mother hunting"? nah, that sounds like a euphemism for something else. It is the need for just such a term that has caused the incorrect usage of "pheno" to grow. Somebody needs to coin a new term or rediscover a lost one. What have you got?

Great looking plants. The LC and the SSDD look quite tasty.

Many thanks, Bmac1.

Siskiyou

Veteran
The sixteen square feet this morning. Clockwise from the left are LC@59 then SD1, SD2, SD3, SD4 and DB1clone all at 47 days flowering.

picture.php

The Sunshine Daydreams are beginning to fade a bit, and cooler nights have brought out a blush on this fading fan leaf of SD1.

picture.php

SD2@47 days flowering
picture.php

Siskiyou

Veteran
Huge thanks to everyone at ICMag.

The culture that exists here helps us all to rediscover knowledge that has been "lost and found and lost again and again." And now we have the chance to take it further.

Latest posts

Latest posts