What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Kali China

StrongTree

Lovely Kali China after 50 days of flowering StrongTree :)

Looking at your female, with her deep green colors and longer node spacing, i almost sure your female comes from the F3-F4 KC line.

Does she produce a refined and appealing mango incensey terpene profile ?

Please, let us know your opinion about her.
She looks so sugary, with such a familar expression ....
I'm already salivating here thinking about smoking her :D

yes Dubi...it's a brilliant plant
tiphat.gif
im about ready to harvest a next one ...will get pics up here in the next few days... ive been running her continually since the seed mom donated offspring...i like vegging her big and defoliating the lowers a bit... her flower structure is very triangular / pagoda and yes nodes are well spaced ( like dense spear tips)....if she is from the f2-f3 gene pool that would explain the internodal structure and the fruit/ mango notes

amazing fruity smells around day 35-40.. been letting her go 50-55 days...

. the smoke itself ... creamy and smooth......there is indeed a fruit / mango effect to it... also reminds me a bit of elderflower this plant renders whole area smelling delicious for some time after combustion. in a refreshing non-skunky style.

when smoking there is often a detectable note of fennel at mid-draw and sometimes just for a moment, star anise as the chillum heats up. the effect is cool and de-stressing...puts a smile on my face. i am not usually synesthetic but im often thinking of the color blue when i imbibe the kalichina.

Home-Grown

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Also waiting on original Yunnan [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Indica for special project[/FONT].[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Keep me posted here and the news letter, cheers
[/FONT]

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi StrongTree,

A pleasure to hear that Kali China has become a permanent resident in your flowering room ;)

You really captured the personality of Kali China in your description :kissgrin:
I'm also a bit synesthetic and every detail of the complex Kali China terpene profile brings to my mind food, colors and situations, makes me feel lost in pleasant thoughts and memories :ying:

yes Dubi...it's a brilliant plant View Image im about ready to harvest a next one ...will get pics up here in the next few days... ive been running her continually since the seed mom donated offspring...i like vegging her big and defoliating the lowers a bit... her flower structure is very triangular / pagoda and yes nodes are well spaced ( like dense spear tips)....if she is from the f2-f3 gene pool that would explain the internodal structure and the fruit/ mango notes

amazing fruity smells around day 35-40.. been letting her go 50-55 days...

. the smoke itself ... creamy and smooth......there is indeed a fruit / mango effect to it... also reminds me a bit of elderflower this plant renders whole area smelling delicious for some time after combustion. in a refreshing non-skunky style.

when smoking there is often a detectable note of fennel at mid-draw and sometimes just for a moment, star anise as the chillum heats up. the effect is cool and de-stressing...puts a smile on my face. i am not usually synesthetic but im often thinking of the color blue when i imbibe the kalichina.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Thanks for your interest on the pure China Yunnan, Home-Grown.

Don't worry, pure China Yunnan will be back at some point,
and we will keep you all updated when the moment comes through our newsletter and in the China Yunnan thread in this room.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Also waiting on original Yunnan [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Indica for special project[/FONT].[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Keep me posted here and the news letter, cheers
[/FONT]

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi vcasqui,

Indeed, F5 Kali Chinas produce very frequently strong dark pigmentation in the second half of flowering with colder temps (Theorganicguy's Kali China from last year comes to my mind as an example).

Like it's the case of Orient Express or pure China Yunnan, Kali China produces best results when it is flowered with constant temps between 20-24ºC. If temps are too high in flowering, then the heat degradates a bit her complex terpene profile, and if it's flowered under too cold conditions the yield and flower/leaf ratio gets affected.

Wish you enjoyed with yours! :)

A couple of pics from a Kali China that I grew last year. I don't know why she had this colour, but it was nice to watch.

aimeone

Hi dubi,

I just ordered my first seeds of ace seeds and it’s gonna be the kalichina.
I would like to know if the strain is suitable for scrog or do you suggest another growing method for the kc?
Second thing is can you tell me something about how much stretch i can more or less expect?
Thank you in advance

YukonKronic

Hi dubi,

I just ordered my first seeds of ace seeds and it’s gonna be the kalichina.
I would like to know if the strain is suitable for scrog or do you suggest another growing method for the kc?
Second thing is can you tell me something about how much stretch i can more or less expect?
Thank you in advance

KC works just fine in a scrog but requires a bit longer veg time and it’s likely to limit stretch considerably given that KC has low/moderate stretch in its natural apically dominant growth format. Good luck with ACE they’re a really amazing company with great customer service and even better products.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Welcome aimeone,

It depends on the pheno. Offspring coming Kali China F3 mother produces lankier and branchier more sativa dominant plants with good stretching that are very suitable for SCROG. While most offspring coming from F4 mothers produce compact columnar plants with little/moderate stretching, more suitable for SOG.

Hope it helps. Let me know if you have any other doubt. Kind regards

CowboyTed

How odd that I come to the Kali China thread, and find a discussion on the last page on exactly the subject that brought me here: dark pigmentation.

I was beginning to wonder if I switched a Kali China clone with a Snow Moon. I wasn't expecting so much pigment in KC, particularly since I had grown the same pheno before without seeing the pigmentation. Dubi suggests the likely answer to my quandary: Lower temps in late flower. When I grew the Kali CHina before, it was in a scrog, with several other strains, and I couldn't keep the temps as low as 20 degrees. This time I'm following Dubi's recommendation and using lower temps in late flower, and that seems to be bringing out the colors.

Here's a close-up of the pigmentation on my current Kali China grow:

picture.php

And since Dubi also recommended KC for a SOG grow, and I happen to have one in progress, I thought I'd step back from the closeup and take in the whole cabinet.

Orient Express on the left, Kali China on the right. Could first cousins look any more different? These were grown 12/12 from clone in a small sea of green, in a small space - only three square feet. I had to top several KC plants during the stretch, as they grew too close to the lights.

picture.php

I suspect that Kali China might grow more compact in a SOG with stronger light. Mine stretched early on, trying to find better light. I have only 33 watts per square foot in this cabinet. It could use a few more bulbs to grow shorter plants with bigger colas. (though the Orient Express sure put on fat colas, weak light be damned!)

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
What a nice post, thanks! :) Perfect to explain how different are Orient Express and Kali China from each other, despite both are hybrids of the same China Yunnan line.

I think i explained about it at some point in the China Yunnan thread.
Orient Express was bred for very high yields, for stronger sativa influence and towards organic/wet forest aromas, while Kali China is more comptact, faster flowering, more colorful, more indica dominant in growth and has a more fruity incensey terpene profile.

Kali China is more stable at this point, while Orient Express is still on F3 breeding stage (i didn't want to inbred Orient Express too much, otherwise it would lose her high yields).

Both strains produce prime quality, non dirty, well focused effects, with plenty of sativa qualities.

Congrats, enjoy with your indor harvest ;)

CowboyTed

What a nice post, thanks! :) Perfect to explain how different are Orient Express and Kali China from each other, despite both are hybrids of the same China Yunnan line.

I think i explained about it at some point in the China Yunnan thread.
Orient Express was bred for very high yields, for stronger sativa influence and towards organic/wet forest aromas, while Kali China is more comptact, faster flowering, more colorful, more indica dominant in growth and has a more fruity incensey terpene profile.

Kali China is more stable at this point, while Orient Express is still on F3 breeding stage (i didn't want to inbred Orient Express too much, otherwise it would lose her high yields).

Both strains produce prime quality, non dirty, well focused effects, with plenty of sativa qualities.

Congrats, enjoy with your indoor harvest ;)

Thanks Dubi!

I expect to enjoy this harvest more than the last. While I've grown both strains before, I am only learning how my grow cabinet functions, so my first few indoor crops were a bit disappointing. This one looks and smells great, so far.

I have a very minor spider mite presence in the cabinet, but the plants are apparently defending themselves, and I've been helping with periodic "bug bombs" in the room at night (with cabinet doors open) I'm hopeful that I can keep them in check for another week while the plants mature. Kali China should be ready to harvest in days. Orient Express is still sporting a few white pistils, and needs a week or more.

True to form, Orient Express is producing impressive colas on every plant, considering the plants are so small over all in a SOG grown 12/12 from clone.

Last edited:

CowboyTed

W. . . Kali China is more comptact, faster flowering, more colorful, more indica dominant in growth and has a more fruity incensey terpene profile.

picture.php

Having just harvested and trimmed the Kali China plants in the photo above, my fingers now have a wonderful "fruity incensey" aroma. :good:

I don't think I've sniffed my fingers so much since my school days. :biggrin:

There are seven Kali China plants hanging in that photo, and a single Orient Express on the far right. She was planted in the tub with the KC plants, so I harvested her early. The rest of the OE plants, in a separate tub, will get another week to mature.

This was my first Sea of Green grow, as well as my first 12/12 from clone, and only the second voyage for my new smaller grow cabinet, built with SOG/SCROG in mind: just three square feet of floor and about 18 inches maximum plant height.

I count it a success. I suspect I'll finish with three to four ounces, a good return on the small cost of the electricity. It helps that I was growing 7-8 week finishers!

Last edited:

Theorganicguy

Smoke report

Smoke report

Here's my experience with kali china:
-at first, with only a month of cure, she was quite electric and racy, to the point of having to go for a run to relax, because of the intense stream of energy
-around six months into the jar, she was still reinvigorating, but with an added bliss, almost meditative state of mind
-now, around month 8 of curing, she is uplifting and visual:brighter colours, sun-like induced euphoria and finishes off with a relaxed, dreamy comedown. All without melting your body away or knocking you out on while lying on the grass.
The smell was of dried mandarine and hash, but evolved throughout all these months and now resembles incense with some touches of lemon. Taste didn't change much, on the contrary, she lost some citrusness and gained a more intense incense taste. She tastes of frankincense with some sour lemon and roasted lamb meat in the background.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Great weed, has you in an altered state of mind that won't impact your day and turn you into a log. It could make you a bit hyperactive and jumpy without some months to "bring down her temper", as Bleiweis said. Sadly, this strain starts flowering too late for our climate and the colder temperatures will impact it's bud structure, causing flower to be smaller and yield a bit poorer. Still, it has great sativa traits, from seedling all the way to vapour, something rare to find in such a short flowering plant. Great cold and rain resistance, she froze one night at -6C, but didn't show much distress. One of the best strains I've ever smoked.

Attachments

• IMG_5147.jpg
    IMG_5147.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5148.jpg
    IMG_5148.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 49

aimeone

Hi guys. I’m back and need your ideas how to go on. Dubi suggested to go for a sog, but since I’m working from seed and only have 6 plants that’s not a possibility.

Right now they are 10-15 cm growing in a 1,5 l pot. The plan is to transplant in 2-3 days since the roots are already filling up the pots. They haven’t been topped yet but as you can see on the pics they grow super bushy.

I‘m not really sure how to go on for the best results. I have 7l pots and 11l pots available. I have a space of 0,6x0,6 m in my box. Only 4 of the 11l pots fit exactly in the box. If i would go for the 7l i could stay with the 6 plants.

The other question is. Should I top them or not? Should I go for scrog or just a normal topping? And with which height sending them to flowering?

BTW. I’m using an 180w led hans panel.

Questions over questions. Sorry guys but I would like to hear your opinion. Mostly dubis since he is the creator of that beautiful creation :) thanks in advance

Attachments

• BC9990EE-F520-41BC-ACE4-463BED5DBE11.jpeg
    BC9990EE-F520-41BC-ACE4-463BED5DBE11.jpeg
    38.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 9EAFD054-F712-4CC4-9DD8-DAC43C8A0041.jpeg
    9EAFD054-F712-4CC4-9DD8-DAC43C8A0041.jpeg
    32 KB · Views: 48
  • 3F166838-C0F5-45F4-A8F0-B98C9B8D9684.jpeg
    3F166838-C0F5-45F4-A8F0-B98C9B8D9684.jpeg
    29.2 KB · Views: 41

CowboyTed

In order to give you advice about when/whether you should top the plants, we need to know how tall your box is inside, or more specifically, how tall is the tallest the plants can grow inside your box before they are too close to the lights? (The light manufacturer's website might help with the distance-to-light numbers.)

aimeone

You are totally right. Sorry I thought I have everything.

So:
height of box: 1,76 m
- pots: 0,27 m
- distance of light: 0,4 m
- airextractor etc.: 0,25 m

So there would be a maximum of 1 m for the plant

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Theorganicguy :thank you:

I'm speechless after reading your Kali China's inspiring, detailed and accurate smoke report ... honestly i have no better words (not even in the strain description i wrote for her) to describe better the qualities of her vibe, effects and terpenes of the strain. That kind of feeling is what made me feel that the strain was so special, and the reason why i felt i had to work so hard on her to refine her and offer her to the cannabis world in her current state... i have recently produced more fresh stock of the strain, but i haven't change any single parental plant in this new reproduction as she is now exactly as i want her (since 5 years ago) .... Kali China is probably the best and most special inbred line i have ever bred, and also the reason why i consider her as a fundamental breeding strain to produce my best hybrids with ACE.

As we say in spanish ... 'te le agradezco de corazón' :ying:

Latest posts

Latest posts