What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tumble Now Rotator Dry Sifting Machine

Yep i point a fan directly at the motor of my okief tumbler to keep it cooler while its running and dont have a problem.But the wing nuts are a a pain in the ass.The magnet setup on the tumble now is pretty cool.And it may not have a timer but i just use a cheapo timer for my okief and it would do just fine fro the tumble now.

GreenSalami

tumblenow screens

tumblenow screens

Does anyone know whether the tumble now has wire cloth/wire mesh screens or does is it have a sheet of stainless with round holes cut in it?

C

Chamba

The cylinder has a 125 lines per inch stainless steel mesh and the flat screen frame that sits on the drawer is a 200 lines per inch synthetic (nylon?) mesh.

S/S meshes are a good choice for the rotating cylinder as these will last forever (unless you tumbles sharp pointed knives! lol), but they cost a lot more to produce......but even though, synthetic meshes are tougher than you think. Nylon meshes are ideal for the flat screens 'cos no sharp stems pass through the S/S mesh onto it and also because carding over steel meshes sounds and feels unpleasant (kinda like swinging a cat around your head by the tail as you scrape your finger nails down a chalkboard...its the dry sift equivalent of the Chinese water torture.... well, okay, it's not that bad, but nylon meshes do really feel better than steel for carding)

GreenSalami

I read in RC Clarkes book I think that because the trichome heads are round, the round hole screens will allow less foreign matter through while still letting the trichs through easily.

My tumblenow should be here soon, and I am still looking forward to it but I was hoping for the round holes. I wonder if a could get a spare barrel (without the screen) and make a custom round hole barrel??

I have seen links to s/steel mesh suppliers but does anyone know who supplies round hole mesh screens?

C

Chamba

the problem with laser perforated metal sheet is that it cost a small fortune compared to stainless steel meshes doesn't it? ...and wouldn't there be a great deal less number of holes per square inch?, so for this to be as efficient as S/S mesh it would have to be a larger area and/or you would have to run the machine for a longer duration? hmmm, the longer the material is worked, the more crap that gets in? I guess you have to experiment.

anyway, most of the time, what seems to be very pure blond dry sift contains 20% ~ 50% trichome stalks (the "poles" that the resin heads sit on)..these would pass through round holes as easy as square holes, so would small bits/dust of plant matter..I'm not saying that laser perforated sheets would not be any good, I'm sure they would perform slightly better than steel meshes.....but I wonder why no one uses them or why they are not so popular? maybe price?

if purity is your aim, tumble pre-frozen, small amounts for a short duration....you do this because trichomes are heavier and rounder than the lighter weight, jagged, odd shaped bits of plant matter and so, initially, a higher percentage of the trics will pass through the mesh compared to the rubbish. Keep in mind, with current dry sifting methods, it's a lot easier to prevent the crap from getting in with the resin heads in the first place, than trying to remove it later.

also, when it comes to making pure quality dry sift, the duration and technique (or speed) used is more important than the actual type of mesh or even, and to a certain extent, the actual mesh size.

if you really want to produce the world's best dry sift, kidnap Sam SKunkman and force him to tell you his method.....or do this search through my posts about isolating resin heads within a narrow range.

Basically, tumble your material for a short duration, then card or card & vibrate that dry sift over two flat mesh frames, for example, firstly over a 100 micron mesh, then work it over a 80 micron mesh which will isolate your resin heads in between this narrow 20 micron size range, all contaminant (and resin heads) over 100 micron and under 80 micron in size will be eliminated as well as the carding will help break up and or force the 100 ~ 80 micron sized contaminant through the 80 mesh leaving a very high percentage of resin heads....

part of the reason to do this is because it's much easier/faster/more efficient to card away contaminant over a 80 micron mesh than it is to do over a 60 or 70 micron mesh, also because different sizes of resin heads offer a slightly different high or buzz, so you can isolate the size range you desire with greater purity ..and the result will be "excellence" that just a few match heads worth in your pipe will warm your ears, zing your forehead and take you higher than any other hash you've smoked (similar to the very purest ice water Bubble bag hash, but with a greater complexity and flavor)...contaminant tends to dull the high, the less crap in there, the better the high and the more impact it will give you.

Happy Tumbling!

Last edited:
C

Chamba

the okeif and pollenator tumblers are similar, basically they are a plastic storage tub with a motor added to one side wall, the Tumble Now has more features (have a read through this thread for more details and then check out ICmag sponsor http://www.aqualabtechnologies.com/...s/tumble-now-rotator-dry-sifting-machine.html
for excellent photos of this tumbler and to purchase it ..or go to bubbleman's site

The Tumble Now is made from plywood and is nicely finished, a three hinge lid, stainless steel mesh cylinder etc ..but what sets it apart from the others is the bottom access pull out drawer so you can quickly check out the quality of the dry sifted resin (without having to remove the cylinder)....there's a 200 lines per inch flat screen frame that sits on the drawer so you can further purify your resin, underneath the flat screen frame is a acrylic collection plate, I'd suggest replacing this with black glass. You can run the machine with the flat screen or without...anyway, the resin you get from a 125 micron stainless steel mesh tumbler will be excellent, the resulting resin that has been worked through the finer mesh will be the quality level of the stuff that people like Saudi princes, Paul McCartney, Amsterdam hash ton importers and ICmag.com hash snobs smoke.

Last edited:
C

Chamba

but hey, it doesn't matter if you use a Tumble Now or any other tumbler or a kif box or simply a screen printing frame.......it's all about healthier inhaling,

bud doesn't get you high, it's the tiny spheres of resin that's attached to it that's we enjoy. Take away the resin heads, and you would get as high from bud as you would smoking lawn clippings. So what's the point of smoking ten grams of "hay" per week when you can get the same or better high from smoking a gram or two of resin without inhaling all that tar...I'm probably preaching to the converted here though aren't I..lol...Middle Eastern smokers worked that out centuries ago, and now , gradually, Western growers are realizing the same.

GreenSalami

surely during re-sifting the heads will drop through slightly faster than the stalks. A couple of short passes should reduce the percentage of stalks considreably.

One of reasons for the tumbler was to clean stuff that's already been through a very corase screen (about 5mm hole size). This stuff is from fresh bud and I was going to freeze it first to help break it up. It already goes together as soon as you touch it and it smells and tastes great but you can see that it is contaminated with plant material even with the naked eye

Will I be able to card this live hash sucessfully on the 73u nylon screen or will it mash up?

C

Chamba

surely during re-sifting the heads will drop through slightly faster than the stalks. A couple of short passes should reduce the percentage of stalks considreably.

it should improve, but it won't remove them all.....let us know how goes when you get your Tumble Now

One of reasons for the tumbler was to clean stuff that's already been through a very corase screen (about 5mm hole size).

5mm is very open (is that a section of chain link fence? lol)......try using a window screen frame for manicuring dried buds over, which will be much finer in comparison to the screen you are using now. Also keep in mind, that with purity in mind, it's better to not allow the contaminant in there with the resin in the first place, than trying to remove and separate it later on......but if maximum yield of the available trichomes is your aim then that's less important.

This stuff is from fresh bud and I was going to freeze it first to help break it up.

if it's already semi-stuck together, then it might be best to smoke it as it is..try it and find out, I've resifted resin from fresh dried plants..the problem is you never get all the resin off the material in the first place and it doesn't resift half as well as aged, dry material equaling lower yields (I'm all about maximum yields!)

It already goes together as soon as you touch it and it smells and tastes great but you can see that it is contaminated with plant material even with the naked eye

Will I be able to card this live hash sucessfully on the 73u nylon screen or will it mash up?

You will find that if you card enough of this dry sift that's come from fresh dried trimmings, even if well frozen, some trichomes will definitely smudge on the Tumble Now flat screen. I suggest you either do what you suggested and re-sift it in the cylinder and smoke that or store the resifted resin in a jar in the fridge, or in a cool, dry, dark place, opening the jar every now and then,...then after a few months or more resift it over the flat screen. Better still , next time simply store your plant material in a cool, dry place for 2 ~ 6 months then prefreeze and Tumble it and then card it over the finer flat mesh frame.

anyway, try it......re-tumbling and re-sifting will definitely improve the purity, it's just that you are not maximizing yield or purity, but I'd hit it and ask for another one!

Last edited:
C

Chamba

also keep in mind that when tumbling near the maximum amount of plant material in the Tumble Now, eventually the volume of resin that passes through the 125 mesh cylinder will be build up on flat screen and it will be difficult to card the resin effectively.....after about a handful or a handful and half of resin has fallen on the flat screen. you are better off stopping the Tumble Now and carding the resin (or setting it aside), then removing the cleaned resin and restarting the machine...this is fast and easy with the pull out drawer...

another way (for maximum yield in mind) is to remove the flat screen (but keep the catching plate on the drawer and close the drawer), tumble the material for 30 minutes ~ a n hour or more, then stop the machine, tap your hands on the exterior of the wooden box lid (as if you are hitting a bongo drum) for ten seconds so all the resin head sitting on the mesh and the interior side walls drop and then take out the resin on the catching plate, re-sift it in the cylinder, then card that resin over the 70 micron flat screen to clean it up, combination of vibration and carding works well....but it all depends on your desired end result, how much time you have and how much material you have to process etc etc.

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
As i stated i would, I bubble bagged the trim after running it though this machine. It yielded me about 1/6-1/10 of what un-tumbled trim gets me. (Not worth it considering i hate doing bubble anyway).

Feb2006er

As i stated i would, I bubble bagged the trim after running it though this machine. It yielded me about 1/6-1/10 of what un-tumbled trim gets me. (Not worth it considering i hate doing bubble anyway).

It is worth making BHO out of tho. You get a higher yield when the trich heads are broken off FWIW.

B

Beerdo

I have been browsing tumblers for a few days now. I am not a fan of all the labor involved in bubble bags.
At first I was leaning towards the PollenMaster 500. with the idea that I could snag some trim off friends of mine and do a whole bunch. I know a few ppl that have some rather large sacks of trim lying around.
Then I saw this thread, now I am leaning towards a Tumble Now.
Having used bubble bags before I know how easily screens can fray and tear. Then they sit around for a month or two before I get around to sowing them up. Then I make a batch or two and lose interest again for a while. So I never really end up finishing using my available trim.
So now I am looking at this Tumble Now thinking dam that's sweet. I could scratch out like 90% plus of the labor and have a screen that's likely never going to fray or tear. I seems well built. I think I would be more confident with the smaller sized Tumble Now , as opposed to the more than double the price but mostly plastic PollenMaster 500. I think I can deal with the smaller batches for now. I honestly don't think I could talk myself into buying the pollenmaster now. I just think the quality of the Tumble Now system
outweighs the vollume of the pollenmaster setup.

I'll probably mull it over for a few more days, But I think I'm sold.The bubbling pics in this thread have got me inspired.:artist:

C

Chamba

Beerdo "I have been browsing tumblers for a few days now."

I just checked out TrimScene.com, the PollenMaster P500, the Twister etc..it's a good site with lots of informative videos.

As you mentioned, the P500 has a big capacity and seems to be well put together, but it mentions "replacement silk screens available", so I assume the unit comes with a nylon mesh??

Synthetic meshes are tougher than you think, but stainless steel meshes are generally more durable, it doesn't mention RPM...and yeah, you could buy two Tumble Nows ($350 ea.) for the price of one P500 and still have $200 extra in your pocket (and a stainless steel screen).

But I think I'm sold.The bubbling pics in this thread have got me inspired.

yep those photos are impressive and persuasive and it shows how with good starting material, an expert and experienced hasher with the Tumble Now can produce the Highest quality end result.

Last edited:
C

Chamba

I know a few ppl that have some rather large sacks of trim lying around.

It must be wonderful to have too much trim just lying around.

B

Beerdo

ok to vaporize?

ok to vaporize?

Well got my tumble now in the mail this morning. :jump: and tumbled a small batch of frozen trimmings. Gotta say everything looks good and I want to try it.
But I just realized I don't have a pipe... Doh!!! Not sure what to do, I supposed I could twist one with some herb. But I kinda wanted to get a clean taste of it.
So I am wondering . Would it get its melt on in my Volcano? or do I actually need to stick a flame to it?
I gotta say those bubbling pic's in this thread have inspired me to get this tumbler and now maybe even get a pipe so I can watch it bubble.

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
I use it both ways. When i put it into the cano, i fill the bottom 1/4 with grinded bud, the middle 1/2 has bud and tumble (mixed until the stickiness of the bud wont trap any more tumble), then i top it off with more bud.

Vap as normal, and give it a stir at least once before dumping (i run turkey bags, and stir for a second bag filling @ 6, most times @ 7 too).

When smoking it, i mix it the same way, and the shit never goes out. I gotta use the back of the lighter to snuff it out, which is kind of annoying.

I never see it bubble like the pics, but they dont mix it in either. I get high as fuck already.

C

Chamba

there are lots of ways to enjoy your hash quickly and easily with out having an actual pipe...

Here's one way : flatten about 4 or 5 rice grains worth of hash into a flat disc shape, bend a paperclip so it stands or sits on the ground with one wire sticking up in the air, push the flat disc of hash onto the spike then use a lighter and set fire to the hash, when it has burned for a second or two, blow out the flame with a sharp blow of air as you immediately place a glass over the paperclip & smoldering/smoking hash and when the glass has fill up with smoke. Use a straw and quickly inhale all the smoke, the hash will keep on smoldering and so repeat with the straw. If it goes out, relight it. With some hash you can just set the edge on fire and the whole disc will smolder while with other hash it works best if the whole disc is set on fire then blown out, it depends on how pure it is. A straw with a bend is best to use, also, you can line the cup with foil too so the cup won't stink like a dirty bong, or use a disposable cup.

there's lots of ways to make a quick throwaway pipe, it just takes imagination and a strong need!...here's another really another easy & fast way : use a coffee cup, enough aluminum foil to cover the mouth of the cup and an elastic band to hold the foil in place. Use a nail, knife or pin to make a 1/2 inch thin slot in the foil on the rim on one edge, this will be your mouth piece, and on the opposite side about 1/2" in from the rim push down with your knuckle to make a depression in the foil, use the pin to make 8 ~ 10 small holes in the depression to become your "bowl". The mouth piece is best lined up so the pipe can be sipped while holding the cup by it's handle. A wide mouth coffee cup or bowl works really well and will hit nice. The cup pipe is quickly dismantled too.

Last edited: