What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A possible cure for lyme disease

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
https://www.newhaven.edu/news/releases/2017/professor-and-her-students-may-have-found-a-cure-for-lyme-disease.php

Could a common sweetener that's already in the kitchen cupboards in many American homes — stevia — prove to be an effective treatment for a disease as debilitating and persistent as Lyme disease?

It's too early to say that for sure, but research by Eva Sapi, a University of New Haven professor of cellular and molecular biology, and the students in her Lyme Disease Research Group looks promising.

In a paper published in the European Journal of Microbiology & Immunology, Sapi and her students found that the most antibiotic resistant form of Borrelia burgdorferi, the bacteria that causes Lyme disease — called biofilm — actually increased in mass with individual antibiotics.

But liquid, whole-leaf stevia extract — not the powdered varieties that people most commonly use — reduced the biofilm mass by about 40 percent, they found.

"Is it the one?" Sapi asked. "I don't know." But in confirmation test after confirmation test, "that is the one that jumped out."

A small clinical trial based out of New York got underway just a few months ago, and researchers there are using stevia along with antibiotics to try and treat Lyme disease, while others are taking the extract themselves.

I've got emails from people saying they're getting better, but again, we need to have double-blind clinical trials before we say ‘yes'. Everybody is holding their breath to see if it helps, and let's hope for it. That would be wonderful.
– Professor Eva Sapi, Ph.D.

Let's hope that happens.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
I've had Lyme. Over 10 year ago. Lost my appetite and 60 pounds.
Got again 4 or 5 years ago. No where near as bad. Just sore and groggy that time

troutman

Seed Whore
I've known about Stevia plants for almost 10 years. I also keep telling myself I'll grow some
one of these day. Could be a great substitute for sugar in cooking recipes and why I want it.
I haven't tried it yet though.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
I've known about Stevia plants for almost 10 years. I also keep telling myself I'll grow some
one of these day. Could be a great substitute for sugar in cooking recipes and why I want it.
I haven't tried it yet though.

I've grown it a few times. Sometimes it's sold as sweet leaf other times stevia.

Square stems like mint has a sweet brown paper bag taste sometimes

troutman

Seed Whore
I've grown it a few times. Sometimes it's sold as sweet leaf other times stevia.

Square stems like mint has a sweet brown paper bag taste sometimes

Ive seen it for sale at a local market. Maybe I should get some next time.

Treevly

......Sapi and her students found that the most antibiotic resistant form of Borrelia burgdorferi, the bacteria that causes Lyme disease — called biofilm — actually increased in mass with individual antibiotics.

I can't make sense of that stement. WHAT is "called biofilm?" No paritcular bacteria strain is called biofilm. A biofilm is a protective slimy covering which many bacteria species use as a shild against the outside world, including antibiotics. Bacteria under biofilm may require 10 or 20 times the antibiotic power to be killed, compared to the same bacteria without biofilm protection. Some biofilm-covered bacteria cannot be eradicated at all, or can but with great difficulty.

I have no trouble with the story as a whole, but that sentence is weird.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Shifted as soon as I found out. I went undiagnosed for a long time due to doctors office dropping the ball on a positive test result. Lyme caused allot of health problems for me.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
I can't make sense of that stement. WHAT is "called biofilm?" No paritcular bacteria strain is called biofilm. A biofilm is a protective slimy covering which many bacteria species use as a shild against the outside world, including antibiotics. Bacteria under biofilm may require 10 or 20 times the antibiotic power to be killed, compared to the same bacteria without biofilm protection. Some biofilm-covered bacteria cannot be eradicated at all, or can but with great difficulty.

I have no trouble with the story as a whole, but that sentence is weird.

I have heard that the Lyme bacteria travel throughout the body and congregate in between joints if bones and sometimes can be very hard to completely eradicate with antibiotics.

Maybe the bacteria form the biofilm in the joints.
I know that's where most of my pain was located. Neck and knee joints.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
The spiral bacteria (spyrochete) is similar to syphilis. Lyme was created by the US government in a biowarfare germ factory on Gardners Island NY. It was first diagnosed in people in Lyme CT, just across the water in Long Island Sound.

NEW ENGLAND

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The spiral bacteria (spyrochete) is similar to syphilis. Lyme was created by the US government in a biowarfare germ factory on Gardners Island NY. It was first diagnosed in people in Lyme CT, just across the water in Long Island Sound.

Wow,that's finally been proven.I know that was a theory for years.Glad the government got caught

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
It will be denied forever. Meanwhile Lyme spreads across the country..

G

Read the article recently and coincidentally ordered some seeds today. If you’re interested googling borax and biofilms yield some interesting information.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing

Source?

Cvh

Supermod
Ticks and Lyme disease have been around*for thousands of years. In fact, a recent autopsy on a 5,300-year-old mummy indicated the presence of the bacteria which causes Lyme disease. A German physician, Alfred Buchwald, first described the chronic skin rash, or erythema migrans, of what is now known to be Lyme disease more than 130 years ago.*However, Lyme disease was only recognized in the United States in the 1960s and 1970s. And the bacteria that causes it – Borrelia burgdorferi*– wasn’t officially classified until 1981...

https://www.bayarealyme.org/about-lyme/history-lyme-disease/

Lyme disease was first recognized in 1975 after researchers investigated why unusually large numbers of children were being diagnosed with juvenile rheumatoid arthritis in Lyme, Connecticut, and two neighboring towns. The researchers discovered that most of the affected children lived and played near wooded areas where ticks live. They also found that the children's first symptoms typically started in the summer months, the height of the tick season. Several of the patients interviewed reported having a skin rash just before developing their arthritis. Many also recalled being bitten by a tick at the rash site.
Related Stories
New project to develop prototype diagnostic tool for early detection of Lyme disease
Advanced scan shows brain inflammation related to post-treatment Lyme disease syndrome
Further investigations discovered that tiny deer ticks infected with a spiral-shaped bacterium or spirochete (which was later named Borrelia burgdorferi) were responsible for the outbreak of arthritis in Lyme.
In Europe, a skin rash similar to that of Lyme disease had been described in medical literature dating back to the turn of the 20th century. Lyme disease may have spread from Europe to the United States in the early 1900s, but health experts only recently recognized it as a distinct illness...

https://www.news-medical.net/health/Origin-of-Lyme-Disease.aspx

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
Maybe plum island didn't create or invent Lyme. They just weaponized it.

Messed with my head.
Driving down the road I started crying while listening to the radio. Lots of people do that with a sad song, but this wasn't sad. Lyme fucked with my emotions and mixed them up.

No way in hell I should cry, singing along with Johnny Cash Folsom Prison Blues

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
Maybe plum island didn't create or invent Lyme. They just weaponized it.

Messed with my head.
Driving down the road I started crying while listening to the radio. Lots of people do that with a sad song, but this wasn't sad. Lyme fucked with my emotions and mixed them up.

No way in hell I should cry, singing along with Johnny Cash Folsom Prison Blues
... perhaps not but his tune "hurt" can be a tear jerker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt1Pwfnh5pc

Latest posts

Latest posts