What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help me setup my first grow room, thanks!

webwiller

Hi everyone!
I’m embarking on a joyful journey to grow my first plants. I started lookind around…and I decided to settle in this project with:

4x4 feet Grow Tent:

https://www.indoorline.com/homebox-q120-ambient-par-120x120x200h-cm.html

I decided for this tent model. Do you believe diamond mylar is better than this PAR+ tissue?! I read that with led lamps is more important an high PAR than high Lumen. I have no clue 😉.

If you think, believe, know something that might be better please, don’t be shy!!!

In this tent I plan to grow 4 big plants at their best. I liked this RDWC4 System…again, please, if you have any suggestion I’m here just for it!

This is the magic RDWC4 System:

https://growrillahydroponics.com/en/hydroponics-products/hydroponic-and-aeroponic-systems/hydroponic-systems-growrilla/rdwc-4/

We are missing something….oh yeah, the light! This is an argument still work in progress as I did not make any definite decision yet.

I strongly invite you to read and give me your opinion about this greatly important subject: lightening.

I opened a specific 3d with the 3 led lamps I want to choose one from and you find the 3d with every link with the specs here:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=362786&langid=1

I have to specify that I have to build my tent in my room at home, so it have to stealth in terms of smell obv, so I will need some sort of odour neutralizer, a carbon filter maybe.

At this point I don’t really know what I need in terms of appliances, tools. I know I’d need a Water Ph Tester, a carbon filter…but I have no clue about what type/brand/model (know nothing about it!). If you can point me in the right direction….and…What else might I need? Am I forgetting something?!

I want to end my research about what do I need and how to use with your help, than I’d love to discuss with you which plants would you put in there. I’m talking about strains. Yes, I'd need seeds too! :laughing: I would like to grow 4 plants (2+2), 2 mostly sativa, the most yielding and forgiving and the other 2 I want a roughly 1:1 ratio between THC:CBD (as 10%+10%) mostly indica and the best yielding and most forgiving…but we still have some time to expand this argument.

Thank y’all for your help!
Ciao

Jammal

In a 4 x 4 you should go with 4---3 gallon DWC Bubblers...Single Shot not system

nutrients , GH Maxi series DRY,...run to waste, change once a week, top up inbetween.

Lighting is up for debate: in a 4x4 I would go for a 600w HPS with some Led supplements. Like a couple of Mars sp150's

or for ALL LED I would use as Many Mars sp-250's as I can afford and cool in that space, I would start with 4..lol

Strains I can recommend,,,just point me where your options are leaning for ordering.

Last edited:

thailer

i don't know about this new fabric PAR+ they created but i prefer a silver wall to a white wall for reflection. i also wanted to point out the weight limit to hang stuff like lights, fans, and carbon filters is Maximum capacity: 75Kg so keep that in mind when ordering stuff you'll be hanging up.

with all the cost of setting up a grow room, a RDWC system is probably gonna coast as much as the tent. i purchased a $500 hydro system, my tent, and bought a whole bunch of bottled fertilizers probably paid around $2000 for all the meters, fans, ducting, etc. i was still trying to learn about keeping the environment correct in the tent, what fertilizers to use at what week, why was the pH shifting and why was there brown slime all over my roots. it was a lot to learn and hydro is rather quick to grow as well as quick to fail.

have you considered just getting some raw meal fertilizers like kelp and some peat moss and making soil or taking the nutrient line you would've used in your RDWC and instead use it with some peat moss like Pro Mix HP?? that would slow down the growth a little bit but would give you time to learn about how to solve a problem if one arises. just something to think about. plus it would save you a lot of money. you could save up and get the RDWC system at a later date and it would give you some hands on experience to learn about other parts of growing so you'd be better prepared to handle issues in the future.

webwiller

In a 4 x 4 you should go with 4---3 gallon DWC Bubblers...Single Shot not system

nutrients , GH Maxi series DRY,...run to waste, change once a week, top up inbetween.

Lighting is up for debate: in a 4x4 I would go for a 600w HPS with some Led supplements. Like a couple of Mars sp150's

or for ALL LED I would use as Many Mars sp-250's as I can afford and cool in that space, I would start with 4..lol

Strains I can recommend,,,just point me where your options are leaning for ordering.

Sorry but you need to be somewhat more basic otherwise I don't understand a thing of what you are saying.

Do you mean that you'd use 4 of these:

https://ibb.co/g7Q58N6

Instead of this:

https://ibb.co/m4tdHTr

?

And if so...I don't get why.

About lightening...well, I must go ALL LED or COB+LED because of temperature, noise, ventilation but overall: electricity bill. My bill will triple up and it's not a news that the cops get into a house cause of this "telling" sign.

For different reasons I cut down my lightening choice to 3 and for the lightening matter I opened a dedicated 3d as it is the most expensive thing to buy and the most difficult to choose (and there are tons around all claiming to be the best!).

My lightening thread is here:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=362786

Jammal

Sorry but you need to be somewhat more basic otherwise I don't understand a thing of what you are saying.

Do you mean that you'd use 4 of these:

https://ibb.co/g7Q58N6

Instead of this:

https://ibb.co/m4tdHTr

?

And if so...I don't get why.

Yes,,,I recommend a run to waste management system,,,,just dump nutes once a week vs. continuously trying to stabilize the same fluid.

About lightening...well, I must go ALL LED or COB+LED because of temperature, noise, ventilation but overall: electricity bill. My bill will triple up and it's not a news that the cops get into a house cause of this "telling" sign.

For different reasons I cut down my lightening choice to 3 and for the lightening matter I opened a dedicated 3d as it is the most expensive thing to buy and the most difficult to choose (and there are tons around all claiming to be the best!).

My lightening thread is here:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=362786

then I'd go with mars sp-250's 4+ of them

webwiller

Thanks very much for your suggestions! Personally I thought that going hydro would be easier because you avoid all pests, molds and bacterias that you have with soil and I believed that if you use the disinfectant and you plan correctly the fertilizers you would be more or less okay....

I don't know a thing about that "HP pro mix" you mentioned...just had a quick look and sounds interesting.

What would be the pros and cons I'd face? (and yes, I was gonna spend well over 230$ for the RDWC System)

How does it work using this "pro mix"? Is it soil-alike? Meaning you proceed as if it was soil, simply put them in buckets?

Thanks again!

webwiller

Are you doing anything to duct in fresh air ,or adding co2?

This is something I still need to look at. I thought that with a carbon filter and air pump for extraction, the air inside the tent would change automatically for decompression.

If the pump pulls out air the tent is not sealed, thereof it sucks fresh air from the room (in which I will brath out my own precious CO2 8hrs a night! :biggrin:).

I thought to add a small vent...do you think this might become an issue?

Thanks!

right

I pull in fresh air passively ,and duct the tent air out of the tent through the carbon filter.diferent sized intake and out take , creating negitive pressure . If I'm not explaining myself well enough , then look up some of the threads on ventilation .

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Have you ever did a indoor grow before?? Sorry if I missed it, but try not to complicate things that much. Starting up a hydro system have take a few grows to get dialed in. You may wanna try a few plants in a good soil mix. Ive ran a simple mix for years with the results in my albums to back that up. Your gonna need a few inline fans, and a kick ass carbon filter is priority #1. And there's tons of lighting options, check out mars-hydro.com. Here's a link to terrabloom carbon filter, you may need a 6in im not sure. But they work great, definitely grab you one

https://www.amazon.com/Activated-Ch...d=1559071158&s=gateway&sprefix=8in+car&sr=8-3

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
These guys at formlinesupply.com have some tough little 6in fans that hold up good. It would be good for your tent. Id stick with Fox Farm nutrients myself personally.

thailer

Pro Mix HP is a brand of sphagnum peat moss. you can buy sphagnum peat moss and then buy a fertilizer brand you want to try and use that. its a soilless medium.

i use kelp meal, crab meal and neem seed meal with lime and gypsum fertilizers and add that to the sphagnum peat moss along with some perlite. you'll want one third perlite, one third peat moss and one third earthworm castings. then you would just add water and theres not checking pH. its very simple for someone new to try and be successful. its also very affordable. if you want to reuse the potting soil, you can add back half the amount of fertilizer for the next round and replant in it. thats nice because you don't have to dump out potting soil outdoors.

Greenthumber

Hi everyone!
I’m embarking on a joyful journey to grow my first plants. I started lookind around…and I decided to settle in this project with:

4x4 feet Grow Tent:

https://www.indoorline.com/homebox-q120-ambient-par-120x120x200h-cm.html

I decided for this tent model. Do you believe diamond mylar is better than this PAR+ tissue?! I read that with led lamps is more important an high PAR than high Lumen. I have no clue 😉.

If you think, believe, know something that might be better please, don’t be shy!!!

In this tent I plan to grow 4 big plants at their best. I liked this RDWC4 System…again, please, if you have any suggestion I’m here just for it!

This is the magic RDWC4 System:

https://growrillahydroponics.com/en/hydroponics-products/hydroponic-and-aeroponic-systems/hydroponic-systems-growrilla/rdwc-4/

We are missing something….oh yeah, the light! This is an argument still work in progress as I did not make any definite decision yet.

I strongly invite you to read and give me your opinion about this greatly important subject: lightening.

I opened a specific 3d with the 3 led lamps I want to choose one from and you find the 3d with every link with the specs here:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=362786&langid=1

I have to specify that I have to build my tent in my room at home, so it have to stealth in terms of smell obv, so I will need some sort of odour neutralizer, a carbon filter maybe.

At this point I don’t really know what I need in terms of appliances, tools. I know I’d need a Water Ph Tester, a carbon filter…but I have no clue about what type/brand/model (know nothing about it!). If you can point me in the right direction….and…What else might I need? Am I forgetting something?!

I want to end my research about what do I need and how to use with your help, than I’d love to discuss with you which plants would you put in there. I’m talking about strains. Yes, I'd need seeds too! :laughing: I would like to grow 4 plants (2+2), 2 mostly sativa, the most yielding and forgiving and the other 2 I want a roughly 1:1 ratio between THC:CBD (as 10%+10%) mostly indica and the best yielding and most forgiving…but we still have some time to expand this argument.

Thank y’all for your help!
Ciao

To be completely honest with you from someone that’s been through it as a beginner and someone that sees it all the time! My simple advice to you is keep it simple start slow and small! The hydro methods are cool and all and extremely fun do to and easy to learn but even easier to fail at as a beginner. Not to discourage you because I always encourage people to learn all they can about this wonderful plant and the ways of cultivating them and the science behind it all buttttt. I think you’ll find you’re going to spend to much money with to high of expectations from the jump to just be disappointed or frustrated by the time it’s all said and done. 4x4 is a rather small area (depending on your definition of 4 big plants) and also depending on strains you said you want to grow two sativa and 2 indica leaning hybrids which is great but will hinder in a 4x4 with two tall reaching strains and two more indica leaning short strains. As far as stealth goes the noise of fans carbon filter fans if using hydro dwc with bubblers etc will be noisy as to explain to unwanted ears and eyes. Also smell will always be a bit of a battle but you can minimize it with a filter and some odor neutralizers. Also growing dwc it’s going to be hard in a small tent especially depending on your light and ac for the tent to keep your reservoir water at a consistent temperature to avoid the water getting too warm causing root rot etc also you’ll need to learn your ph and where when and how it swings as the plant eats etc and be able to
Adjust accordingly to it. If I were you honestly I would check out kis Organics blog or builasoil and learn about some of the natural ways with soil and how to make your own water only soil and try a notill or supersoil method it’s a lot to learn upfront but it pays for itself in the long run you can reuse the same soil, don’t have to ph etc and learn and study the ways different nutrients act with a plant and get some ground covered and learn all you can before investing into the hydroponic methods. Not to mention sustainability! None the less whichever route you take learn all you can and best of luck to you!:tiphat:

webwiller

To be completely honest with you from someone that’s been through it as a beginner and someone that sees it all the time! My simple advice to you is keep it simple start slow and small! The hydro methods are cool and all and extremely fun do to and easy to learn but even easier to fail at as a beginner. Not to discourage you because I always encourage people to learn all they can about this wonderful plant and the ways of cultivating them and the science behind it all buttttt. I think you’ll find you’re going to spend to much money with to high of expectations from the jump to just be disappointed or frustrated by the time it’s all said and done. 4x4 is a rather small area (depending on your definition of 4 big plants) and also depending on strains you said you want to grow two sativa and 2 indica leaning hybrids which is great but will hinder in a 4x4 with two tall reaching strains and two more indica leaning short strains. As far as stealth goes the noise of fans carbon filter fans if using hydro dwc with bubblers etc will be noisy as to explain to unwanted ears and eyes. Also smell will always be a bit of a battle but you can minimize it with a filter and some odor neutralizers. Also growing dwc it’s going to be hard in a small tent especially depending on your light and ac for the tent to keep your reservoir water at a consistent temperature to avoid the water getting too warm causing root rot etc also you’ll need to learn your ph and where when and how it swings as the plant eats etc and be able to
Adjust accordingly to it. If I were you honestly I would check out kis Organics blog or builasoil and learn about some of the natural ways with soil and how to make your own water only soil and try a notill or supersoil method it’s a lot to learn upfront but it pays for itself in the long run you can reuse the same soil, don’t have to ph etc and learn and study the ways different nutrients act with a plant and get some ground covered and learn all you can before investing into the hydroponic methods. Not to mention sustainability! None the less whichever route you take learn all you can and best of luck to you!:tiphat:

Thanks a lot @Greenthumber! Your wishes are more than welcome with the hope it'll all come true!
I will certainly have a look ... do I just google those names (I didn't catch a word about the methods and stuff! LoL) ...or...look them up in the search bar here on the forum?! Dunno reallly...
Anyway thanks for suggestions and hope you'll be here when I'll panik for some sort of reason, cause I'll surely put myself in trouble somehow. Anyhow! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Ciao!!!!

webwiller

What do you guys think about this Brand/Lamp?!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kjF-iPyzJgcXsBeccF90dO6KbNTRYhTZ

I had the specs in Italian, sorry I GoogleTranslated them, it was just too long to check for mistakes, y'all pardon me...here the lam's specs:

Features of the Pulsar 9 series:

Modular design with 225W 3W square headlights each with high brightness;
5S focusing lens in extra thin polymer for less light dispersion and 90 ° emission cone for even greater light penetration towards the lower parts of the plant;
Switch and socket on the back of the lamp.
Pulsar 9 series emission spectrum
For the Pulsar series, a complete spectrum with 8 emission bands has been developed that makes the lamp a complete and versatile instrument and ensures excellent performance in indoor cultivation of all the most common types of plants.

Spectrum:

730nm: IR-Far red light active on the Phytochrome and Chlorophyll;
660nm: Deep Red dominant in chlorophyll absorption, it stimulates the secondary metabolism of the plant and leads to an abundant production of flowers and perfumed essences and resins;
640nm: Red absorption of chlorophyll, necessary for the luxuriant growth of the plant and for the production of abundant fruits;
610nm: Orange stimulates the carotenoid system;
470nm: Royal blue absorption of chlorophyll A and B, essential for the growth of the shoots, the growth in height of the plant and the lengthening of the internodes;
430nm: Blue absorption of chlorophyll and beta-carotene;
3500K-7000K: White ensures a harmonious development of the plant, useful supplement for the emission bands not covered by other LEDs, important for the production of seeds, flowers and fruits.
High intensity of the emitted light, great penetration power.

Excellent for cultivation in soil or hydroponics;
Thanks to the wide 8-band light spectrum, it produces exceptional results both in the vegetative phase and in bloom;
Suitable for a 150x150cm surface;
Does not emit dangerous UV rays.
Technical data sheet of the Pulsar 9 LED lamp
225 3W LEDs;
90 ° lenses;
Supply voltage 85-264V, 50-60 Hz;
450W real absorption;
4 120mm cooling fans;
Weight: 9Kg.

Contents of the Pulsar 9 LED package:

HeavenGrow lamp 225 LEDs of 3W each;
Set of 4 steel cables to easily hang the lamp;
Power cable with European connection;
Instruction booklet also in Italian;
24 months warranty certificate.

I can get a good price if...this is a very, but VERY good quality lamp for my space (4x4), with warranty and a national reseller in case of troubles and to avoid them (dlivery of such delicate things is always risky a bit).

Well, I wait for your inputs...gotta start to buy stuff, innit!!! :dance013::dance013::dance013:
:tiphat:

Greenthumber

Thanks a lot @Greenthumber! Your wishes are more than welcome with the hope it'll all come true!
I will certainly have a look ... do I just google those names (I didn't catch a word about the methods and stuff! LoL) ...or...look them up in the search bar here on the forum?! Dunno reallly...
Anyway thanks for suggestions and hope you'll be here when I'll panik for some sort of reason, cause I'll surely put myself in trouble somehow. Anyhow! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Ciao!!!!

Yessir just google the names and check out the site there’s a lot of good info!

NEED 4 SEED

If you are really planning to grow in your living room then prepare for a nice nervous breakdown, when your ears have enough from constant noise from the fan/fans and maybe other electrical devices like the humming from a cheap lamp ballast or the vibrations of the fan inside the tent. Inside a flat or own house I would only recommend using rooms where you don't stay most of the time like bathroom, kitchen, basement etc...just because of the constant noise from the tent. Even in a distant room the noise can be a stress factor because it's constantly there. People aren't made for living in constant machine noise. I find TD-silent (low noise) fans and sound absorbing air tubes ok. But still with these I would NOT do it in my living or sleeping room. You will need this magic weed producing wonder machine to be two doors away at least to sleep and live well.

webwiller

If you are really planning to grow in your living room then prepare for a nice nervous breakdown, when your ears have enough from constant noise from the fan/fans and maybe other electrical devices like the humming from a cheap lamp ballast or the vibrations of the fan inside the tent. Inside a flat or own house I would only recommend using rooms where you don't stay most of the time like bathroom, kitchen, basement etc...just because of the constant noise from the tent. Even in a distant room the noise can be a stress factor because it's constantly there. People aren't made for living in constant machine noise. I find TD-silent (low noise) fans and sound absorbing air tubes ok. But still with these I would NOT do it in my living or sleeping room. You will need this magic weed producing wonder machine to be two doors away at least to sleep and live well.

You're very kind, but my bedroom is my very only option and I'm not gonna back down cause of this. You made an absolutely legit point...is just that...a room is where I wake, have breakfast, lunch, dinner and munchies and where I watch TV, PC or snore (and when lucky have sex).

Lucky enough I sleep deeply and noises don't wake me easily...not even alarm clocks for hell's sake!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Latest posts

Latest posts