What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First Grow!

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Get a heated grow mat. You want roots warm, plant not fried by light.
... although a htg mat might be beneficial, IMO he needs to control his ambient temps. He is growing in an unheated basement during winter. His light on temps were 14 deg C. That is why he opened his lights. What are the tent temps at lights out? IMHO his environment is not conducive to good growing :tiphat:

Ragga89

Ok, then i'll leave em open all the time. As far as temperatures go, when the lights are out i am around 20 - 22, when lamp is on i reach about 27. My humidity is 50 - 70% when dark, 55ish when lights is on. The temp you see on the meter is when i opened the tent after a few minutes to check. Anyhow, because again i'm totally confused, since my light is that strong atm can i leave my seedlings without any light or i must provide something else? Note that the lamp is nowhere near the seedlings. As i said before i am trying my best to give them the best climate i can.

pqH457a

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Ok, then i'll leave em open all the time. As far as temperatures go, when the lights are out i am around 20 - 22, when lamp is on i reach about 27. My humidity is 50 - 70% when dark, 55ish when lights is on. The temp you see on the meter is when i opened the tent after a few minutes to check. Anyhow, because again i'm totally confused, since my light is that strong atm can i leave my seedlings without any light or i must provide something else? Note that the lamp is nowhere near the seedlings. As i said before i am trying my best to give them the best climate i can.

View Image
Your plants need 18/6 because they are vegging. You need to address this now before you get into a 12/12 cycle (worse)

I would seal my lights once again (as proper to do so) and regulate your tent without DEPENDING on your light to regulate the temps. Their job is to provide light, not maintain optimum temperature.

Sooner or later, you will need to drop your lights for optimum efficiency, for the lack of a batter word. You are no where NEAR where you need to be. 20-25 deg C lights on (68-78 deg F) with a 5-8 deg F swing when lighst are off. In veg mode right now my temps (lights on) are 72-73 deg F. Lights out 63-65 deg F. 65% RH

If I need to dial in my temps, I slow down my exhaust fan, retaining more heat (in this case) the downside, RH might also increase. It is a balancing act. The is a happy balance it is called tweaking.

Regardless of what you do, you need lights, period! That is why folks run there lights at night (cooler temps). In your case you are using your lights as a HEATER, vice providing a healthy environment for your plants to be grown indoors. Wrong device to achieve an end!

PS: If you are going to post pictures (which are supposed to be worth 1K words) please explain what we are looking at! Seems like some necessary be, what are we looking at, which way is the flow going ect...

Ragga89

Status update: After a bit of more reading, i went and bought a LED GROW PANEL that puts out 45W says for hydroponics on amazon i guess it works for soil as well. My temps are between 19 - 26 C and humidity is around 60%. The bad news is that the seedlings made a bit tall necks since i guess they were trying to reach the light. Can i do something about this or?

Also i adjusted the dimmer a bit as you said for the exhaust fan and it seems to be working ok.

Lastly i will provide some new pics below and i'll explain the one's above so to make things more simple.

So from the top right side you see the odor filter that connects to my cooltube and on the left side it's the exhaust fan. The flue's are padded and they are noise reduct. Down left side it's the 20w intake simple fan that pours fresh air and has a protection in front to avoid dust or bugs getting in. In the middle of the grow tent you can see my 4lt humidifier that does a good job (tho i wish i had an 8lt). Also you can see the heat convector that atm does a pretty decent job at maintaining temps.

Now, for the new pics that you'll see. I placed the panel a bit above the little seedlings and i hope that now they have even a better environment and some lights that are gentle to them. I also bought a carpet that i put under outside the tent so i can compensate some cold coming direct from the floor to the grow tent.

Also i moved the humidifier to the left near the intake fan.

Lastly, for the seedlings on the right, these are the 2 White Widow's and 1 Royal AK and on the left the 3 young Skywalker OG's.

R

Rab.C

Ragga89 i would put your rvk vent fan on top of the tent were hole is
i would also shorten the duct between carbon filter and cool tube
best of luck with your grows

Ragga89

Hey Rab, thanks a lot for the suggestions!

The truth is that i had the rvk fan on top of the tent but because as i mentioned, this rvk fan is too strong it's also producing a lot of noise even when the dimmer is applied. And because i share the basement with some relatives they told me about the noise so i changed the position. From the flow perspective i agree that is way better that is out.

Also, for the duct, ye i think it's a bit too big for this distance, but i also think i might need it to be a bit longer since it's connected to the cool tube and the lights in some weeks will have to go lower. Atm it's inactive anyway since i placed the led grow panel in order to help the seedlings and not fry them to death!

R

Rab.C

Hey Rab, thanks a lot for the suggestions!

The truth is that i had the rvk fan on top of the tent but because as i mentioned, this rvk fan is too strong it's also producing a lot of noise even when the dimmer is applied. And because i share the basement with some relatives they told me about the noise so i changed the position. From the flow perspective i agree that is way better that is out.

Also, for the duct, ye i think it's a bit too big for this distance, but i also think i might need it to be a bit longer since it's connected to the cool tube and the lights in some weeks will have to go lower. Atm it's inactive anyway since i placed the led grow panel in order to help the seedlings and not fry them to death!

you need a variac 5 step controller no noise from fan. my tent is
3x3 and i have 8ins rvk and matching filter mine is on step 2
i will get you a pick

Last edited:

Ragga89

Hello again guys, how you all doing? Just giving an update about my grow. The temps are very stable the last week 24 - 27 max with lights on and 20 - 22 with the lights off. Humidity is at 60%. I had to transplant the seedlings since they were too tall. I have this little guy that won't open his shell yet but i still leave believe he might make it. Now i am in week 2 and today i put a bit of root juice to help them a bit. I also changed my light schedule to 20 - 4. I'll provide some pics also.

Ragga89

Hello again guys... i'm back. My girls are the 6th week (since sprout) and here is the status update with some pictures. I transplanted my girls in 15L fabric pots and i opened my 600w lamp. I also removed my heater since my lamp provides great heat so my temps now are (22-25 open and 55% humidity, 17-20 closed and 65% humidity).

My question here is that's how they suppposed to look after 6 weeks? My white widow also started showing her hairs?? How it's possible since these are not autos but photo p plants. Also i can't understand why after the second feeding W.W leafs look like this (they are curled). The rest of them (Skywalker OG's) look pretty solid after i topped two of them (you will see which ones, i red circled them).

Photos here:
https://imgur.com/N0WG4ml
https://imgur.com/7e7T96j
https://imgur.com/c6kLYcV
https://imgur.com/vEx3Lv5
https://imgur.com/BqRgQI3
https://i.imgur.com/BQ4ePje.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/fpiM0KV.jpg

I'm looking forward for your answers!

Much love,
Ragga89

R

Rab.C

hey ragga89 your plants look good.the plants with leaves curling down could be too much food.i am new too growing.somebody will help on here

Ragga89

Hey Rab!

Thank you for your feedback. The thing is i only managed to give them two feedings. And because i don't wanna overdo it with nutrients, i started slowly even one drop less that the program recommended.

Also, in between feedings i always give them just water so i can balance it. Sadly, i don't currently own a ph meter and i don't even know a good one.

Ofc more suggestions are welcomed
in regards with the plants or the future of the grow.

R

Rab.C

i dont have a ph meter i use liquid ph drops cheap and easy too use maybe your soil has food already in it ? some soil you can feed only water for first 10days..for next grow
try potting up. i go from root cube to 1lt pot too 3.5lt then 6.5ltr
but you could go from 1ltr then into your fabric pots when roots are coming out smaller pot
sorry i cant help you more but i am new too growing myself...Rab

Ragga89

My soil is All Mix by BioBizz and my nutrients are from the same company (BioHeaven, Bloom, Max). The soil supposed to be a bit heavy but all and all great for my plants. I will feed my W.W. only water for some time to see how she'll respond. I'll try to get these ph drops if i can find it here.

Thanks for all the help Rab!