What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Removing THC from CBD oil?

poisongodmachin

I've made some oil from a high CBD oil plant, however I'm wanting to remove the THC completely so am wondering if any one would know how to do this using heat? Or perhaps someone has a method of converting the THC to CBN whilst keeping the CBD in tact?

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Or perhaps someone has a method of converting the THC to CBN whilst keeping the CBD in tact?

Indeed it's said that CBD and delta-8 can be much harder to aromatize than delta-9, but who is wanting CBD with CBN in it? Is crystallization a viable method of removing a small amount of CBN from a large amount of CBD, or will CBN crystallize within CBD, or CBD within CBN, or do you get a mix of CBD and CBN crystals?

Indeed it's said that CBD and delta-8 can be much harder to aromatize than delta-9, but who is wanting CBD with CBN in it? Is crystallization a viable method of removing a small amount of CBN from a large amount of CBD, or will CBN crystallize within CBD, or CBD within CBN, or do you get a mix of CBD and CBN crystals?

In my trials aromatizing the THC in hot CBD with Iodine, yes some of the CBD goes to CBN, but not as quickly as the THC goes to CBN.

Agreed that CBN in your CBD isn't great, but at least it then becomes a legal product.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/29240420/

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Interesting, it wasn't iodine that I was thinking of when I wrote that and I'm not sure it would be a good choice. In that article there was purification by chromatography, but what happens if someone doesn't do this chromatography? Someone else gets sold iodocannabinoids? For bulk CBN from THC, considering the cost of iodine and the joy of trying to recover it from residues, it would not be surprising if sulfur was better in the right hands. Wouldn't crystallization be desired for THC remediation of CBD?

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
Figured I'd take advantage of this opportunity to ask a question.

Agreed that CBN in your CBD isn't great, but at least it then becomes a legal product

Can you guys expand on that. Why is it not good to have CBN with CBD?
Does CBN lessen the medical benefits of CBD?
Should full spectrum extracts that contain CBN be avoided?

P

psilocybevybe

I've made some oil from a high CBD oil plant, however I'm wanting to remove the THC completely so am wondering if any one would know how to do this using heat? Or perhaps someone has a method of converting the THC to CBN whilst keeping the CBD in tact?

and your end goal is?

zanog

And what about fractional distillation would it be appropriate for this separation?
taking thc fraction should be easy, but then CBN still can be in it you say.

I was thinking about the same thing even if the boiling points are too close to each orther:
CBN is 185C and CBD is 180C, vacuuming down like hell might make them separable?

If you have really strong vacuum with precise regulation you can try without heating, well you probably get the CBD to boil first, so lower vacuum in every 10 seconds just a little, when you start to get the fraction stop incrementing and wait, when done change fraction collector and lower vacuum to get CBN to boil and collect that or stop and discard with the rest of the boiling flask. Maybe with multiple passes you can get CBN down to like several %.

I'll try this when I'm ready if no one does until then, I'm not sure that you can do this with average equipment and I'm sure a centrifuge wont work, the mass difference is not enough I guess, chromatography would be really uneconomical I think. It should be separable by fractional dist, in theory, but I think precision is missing from ordinary hardware. But what do I know.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
CBD is recrystallized like anything else and is sold under the name CBD isolate. Has anyone tried propane or butane for this? There are several reasons why fractional distillation is not viable, but distillation can be a last step to remove solvent after chromatography or crystallization.

Old Piney

Just wondering why? what's wrong with just a little THC in your CBD oil? It won't get you high and it makes the CBD more effective along with all the other cannabinoids

experienced

Just wondering why? what's wrong with just a little THC in your CBD oil? It won't get you high and it makes the CBD more effective along with all the other cannabinoids
Yeah. The high cbd variety I use most certainly contains thc but the effects of the cbd are much greater than the thc. If the Patient does not eat too much of the product the amount of thc also ingested should not stone them ... in my experience.