What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Legal weed

hamstring

Veteran
A friend of mine went up to see the Pats vs Broncos in Denver. Pats killed them. He had a seat right next to the Krafts sky booth. He sent me a text of it. They drove up /over from Il. He visited a few dispensaries but liked the Ball Park dispensary the most.

He called to tell me he was back in town and had some goodies to share. I looked like the road runner driving over to his pad beep beep!!! He is a 3 hit wonder smokes weed but alcohol is his drug of choice. He knows I would never even open a beer without being proportionately high already. I am the pothead and he wanted to share all the stuff he had purchased with the guy who would appreciate and understand all the different ways cannabis can be imbibed.

He brought back home fruit rollup squares with 10 milligrams each, wax, rosin, oil rigs that looked like cigarettes and were labeled with different flavors like peach and mango. He also had what I think were called shorties which looked like miniature tulip joints with filters like I saw in the A'dam many years ago. You bought them 10 to a pack.

I was so excited because the only weed I have ever smoked in my 50+ years of existence was swag and my personally grown outdoor. I have been a guerrilla for over 20 years. I have been to the A'dam twice for a job 15 years ago but I only bought and smoked hash the whole time there. I brought a bunch of hash back pre-911

First thing I did was pull out one of those shorties. Two puffs in and I tamped it out. I fucken swear I was smoking fan leaves. I haven't smoke shit like that since I was in 8th grade. This was terrible shit that should be mulched up not rolled up.

Later in the evening he busted out the rosin which cost $80/gram. It was super lemon haze. I had only smoked sativa once. I grew it one year , it was an early sativa but very heavy. I was able to pull off a harvest in late September. I still remember rolling up a joint and opening a beer. I sat down to watch some sports. I must have smoked half of it before my brain was on fire and I was soaring. I never finished that single beer or joint. I don't enjoy that speedy buzz of a sativa. I couldn't get rid of the heart racing lb of sativa to anyone. It got turned down many times.

I told my friend, "lets ease into this lemon haze" . We, I am not a experienced haze smoker. Meaning I never smoked haze even once. Dude, I am a midwest guerrilla . I grow indicas or heavy indica hybrids. Couch lock not mind expansion, heart racing sativas.

I have made my own hash, green dragon, edibles, and QWET so I have all the smoking gear.

We put a dab of the super lemon haze rosin in my pen and took a hit. First thing I notice is it tastes like lemon pledge. Nothing else just lemon pledge. Thick and all encompassing lemon. It was so one dimensional and really gross tasting in my view. I have smoked way better home made QWET.

We eased in on it because I didn't want that heart racing buzz. Before the end of the night I had smoked $40 worth of his resin and although I am a very experienced smoker I really had hoped there was a much higher ceiling on $80/gram shit. I walked away high but not much more.

So someone tell me is that what legalizing weed looks like? I sincerely hope not.:tiphat::tiphat:

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You're definitely in the right business hamstring.

Legal weed isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Take into consideration that your friend doesn't have the experience you do & was reflected in the choices they made in what to purchase.

Rec edibles in CO are a fucking joke to anybody with much cannabis experience.

Never buy pre rolls!
They're almost always trash.

I wonder how many actual "tourists" return for more (Exclusive of the flow of regular boarder jumpers)?

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Legal weed isn't all it's cracked up to be.
True.
Pre-rolls, like in NL, are a mix of all the "crumbs". Not to say it's bad, just not superior.

And because strains aren't cured, there's many contaminants (fertilizers/pesticides), it's an option for those thinking novelty or don't have the wherewithal to purchase elsewhere.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
1. Most dispensary products for sale are garbage. Yep.
2. Pre-rolls are almost never a good idea. Doesn't look good? Roll it.
3. Lemon Pledge. Ahhh... the "Oh we can just add terpenes" bullshit.

Yep, homegrowing fire or knowing an awesome homegrower is about the only way to get clean and decent cannabis these days.

hamstring

Veteran
WOW!! Thanks for all the feed back. Ok I get it they are called pre-rolls. Maybe my expectations were a wee to high. I keep reading on IC mag that in Denver you can buy real good outdoor for under $1000.00/lb so i thought that would naturally reflect in the dispensaries. It looks like squeezing every last 1/10 of a cent out of everything shows up in corporate MJ business just like the rest of the corporate world.

One of the replies was ,
"Pre-rolls, like in NL, are a mix of all the "crumbs". Not to say it's bad, just not superior."

All I will say is that I was not exaggerating when I said they smoked like fan leaves. I haven't smoked weed that bad since I was kid. It burnt and tasted like grass clippings.

Also Dougless.Curtis thanks for the comment
"Lemon Pledge. Ahhh... the "Oh we can just add terpenes" bullshit. "

I read a lot on IC mag and comment a little. I have heard many brothers with way more MJ knowledge than myself talk about terpenes . They say terpenes are where the MJ business is headed. I have no doubt they have great knowledge on the subject. Here is my take.

I am a middle income family. Lower middle to be exact. No complaints just some back story for the following.

My wife and I are coffee snobs we have been using a french press and grinding our own coffee for at least 14 years. We couldn't afford Starbucks at Starbucks so we bought the 12oz starbucks beans at the grocery store and ground them ourselves. It has always been between $6-8 a bag.

Then one day a coffee roaster opened his doors in our town. Of course we went down to see him and learn about the coffee. He bought single origin beans via a co-op . He wasn't flying in and picking the beans nope he got what they gave him. He didn't have any dark roast and he told us why. We reluctantly purchased a bag of $15.00 coffee and brought it home.

WOW!! what a difference it was. Coffee from different regions tasted completely different. ethiopian coffee is still my favorite , very fruity and some varieties taste like strawberries. I am not kidding they have a complex flavor with many different flavor notes and some of the notes are strawberries.

WTF every single starbucks coffee ,and I had tried them all , were all the dark roasts because they were the "in thing" when I started down my coffee education. Sumatra, Italian, French ect. These are all dark roast coffees and they all taste relatively the same. There are no flavor nuances. Its like hitting your taste buds with a sledge hammer.

I know the analogy isn't perfect but its what I use to understand terpenes . Going towards a mono-culture of any sort always sucks . Processing weed down to to capture its terpenes just so you can add it back to make sure every sample tastes exactly the same is boring to me. Variety is the spice of life.

I hope weed follows the same path as coffee. I know the 25 yr olds will still smoke corn silk if it gets them high but as we all get older we change from Kraft American individually wrapped slices of cheese to 10 yr old aged cheddar.

Betterhaff

Veteran
I don’t think a true cannabis connoisseur is buying their product at a CO dispensary. I have bought some flower from a few but it was only out of convenience because I traveled in. It was so so and to tell you the truth they all seemed to be the same. I would imagine a lot of the business done there (other than medical) is to the tourist trade or the curious.

mushroombrew

Veteran
I am in central OR. I have yet to see anything worth smoking in a rec store.

And 10 x 10mg edibles for $32? No thanks. 100mg of THC for $32?

$320/gram...crazy.

hamstring

Veteran
I don’t think a true cannabis connoisseur is buying their product at a CO dispensary. I have bought some flower from a few but it was only out of convenience because I traveled in. It was so so and to tell you the truth they all seemed to be the same. I would imagine a lot of the business done there (other than medical) is to the tourist trade or the curious.

Betterhaff
I know I'm going to get this wrong but I am assuming you are a married women? I know my wife is definitely the better half of this marriage.

So are you from a state with legal recreational weed? I am learning that a lot of my theories about the MJ scene in a legal state are totally wrong from this thread.

So if you dont grow your own who are peeps in CO and other
legal places buying their weed from?

hamstring

Veteran
I am in central OR. I have yet to see anything worth smoking in a rec store.

And 10 x 10mg edibles for $32? No thanks. 100mg of THC for $32?

$320/gram...crazy.

W H A T??? I just shit my drawers.

I thought prices were being driven down. Thats serious cash can I just lick the wax paper it comes on?:biggrin:

Betterhaff

Veteran
Sorry hamstring, the clarity of my post was not the best. I am not from a legal state and travel to CO periodically (fly). Rather than packing something I either hook up with some friends out there, if possible, or buy a bit from a dispo. I’m never there very long so it meets the purpose but wish the quality from the stores was better.

By the way, I’m an old single male (divorced). I’m sure my ex doesn’t think I was the better half, lol, but most of my friends do (some of her’s too).

hamstring

Veteran
Just got done reading a thread where a guy is looking for a way to get rid of 100 lbs of last years bud. Hoping to process it so he can either store or sell it better.

What a dichotomy of events happening in the MJ business. One guy cant get rid of last seasons bud and he is about to harvest this seasons and edibles are going for $320.00/gram

ronbo51

Veteran
It's going to be so hard to keep legal weed from being 100% owned and controlled by the gov/corporate state. In the end the penalties in a "legal" state will be as onerous as they are for "illegal" if you break the "rules" in the new legal environment.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's going to be so hard to keep legal weed from being 100% owned and controlled by the gov/corporate state. In the end the penalties in a "legal" state will be as onerous as they are for "illegal" if you break the "rules" in the new legal environment.

Back to my mantra...

Legalized = Regulated
Regulated = Oppressed
Oppressed = Illegal (for some)

So WTF good is legalization?
Really?

Removal of ALL laws, on the books, pertaining to this plant is the only truthful path to freedom for everybody!

The more people that don't have the fortitude to forge their own paths, independent of the government, the more oppressive laws (in general) become.

STOP ASKING THE GOVERNMET FOR HELP!

mushroombrew

Veteran
CA is up to 45% tax on rec!

If it became legal (federally) then you would pay Fed income tax and Self employment tax too. Another 25%(total of 70%) So careful what you wish for...

So only the very biggest farms will be profitable.

I live in Denver, Colorado.

The prices and products are great if you go to the right places. There are lots of tourist trap type shops with the rip off prices mentioned especially if it's the only shop in a mountain town somewhere.

People living in decriminalized areas or places with medical of course are gonna bitch about or vote against legalization because you're purchasing high quality flower from a small scale grower at a great price. In reality you're throwing the thousands of people living in nazi enforced areas under the bus. If a legalization law allows you to grow your own, share it with people and purchase it at the shop you've got it good. May not be perfect but a step in the right direction that can be fixed later on.

So if you come to Colorado and wanna have a good time look up Coupons or deals for the shop you're going to. The Westword magazine in Denver always has coupons and deals listed in the back. Cannasaver.com is also a great place for coupons or deals. There's a bunch of shops that try and take pride in a nicely grown product. I've smoked better weed here than anywhere. Purple buds, citrus flavored buds, awesome sativa's we've got it.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
May not be perfect but a step in the right direction that can be fixed later on.
Your experience w politics is just a bit flawed w this statement.
When was the last time you saw the cartels give up their taxes & fees & oppressive behavior?