Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > IC Magazine > Cannabis Business Network > making money in a legal market

Thread Title Search
making money in a legal market Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2017, 02:25 AM #1
larry badiner

making money in a legal market

a few clubs in my town are selling eighths for 15$, so im guessing selling weed to the clubs is out of the question

how can people make money in a legal system?

Old 10-15-2017, 04:56 AM #2
socioecologist

socioecologist is a name known to allsocioecologist is a name known to allsocioecologist is a name known to allsocioecologist is a name known to allsocioecologist is a name known to allsocioecologist is a name known to allsocioecologist is a name known to allsocioecologist is a name known to allsocioecologist is a name known to allsocioecologist is a name known to allsocioecologist is a name known to all
By growing a lot with great genetics developed for your ecotype and selling at prices that are aligned with regular farming costs. Vertical integration helps if you have access to capital.

socioecologist is offline Quote

13 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:09 AM #3
larry badiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by socioecologist View Post
By growing a lot with great genetics developed for your ecotype and selling at prices that are aligned with regular farming costs. Vertical integration helps if you have access to capital.

View Image
how are the prices in oregon? are people making decent money from small indoor grows? i can bloom about 60 plants max using perpetual growing

Old 10-15-2017, 06:12 AM #4
socioecologist

socioecologist is a name known to allsocioecologist is a name known to allsocioecologist is a name known to allsocioecologist is a name known to allsocioecologist is a name known to allsocioecologist is a name known to allsocioecologist is a name known to allsocioecologist is a name known to allsocioecologist is a name known to allsocioecologist is a name known to allsocioecologist is a name known to all
No. Not at all. But local conditions are always unique. If you can in your place, do it. Use what you made to build bigger in a smart way. The end game is always about selling your product in the market place, not how many plants you can grow.

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:17 AM #5
Gr33nSanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by socioecologist View Post

View Image
EPIC! was that grown without herbicides and without pesticides?

Given the history of cannabis, it will take a while for indoor to go away, but it will eventually become rarer, I mean, look at how much can be grown outdoor, without greenhouses, with the right genetics, ... epic!

Old 10-15-2017, 06:23 AM #6
socioecologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr33nSanta View Post
EPIC! was that grown without herbicides and without pesticides?

Given the history of cannabis, it will take a while for indoor to go away, but it will eventually become rarer, I mean, look at how much can be grown outdoor, without greenhouses, with the right genetics, ... epic!
Zero sprays. "Beyond organic". This is an industrial hemp crop (CBD). 15%-20% when finished. Farming is farming...if you know your plants and environment, anything is possible.

That said, OP wants to know if you can make money growing small scale. The answer is no in the long term.

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:39 PM #7
stoned-trout
if it smells like fish

stoned-trout is a survivorstoned-trout is a survivorstoned-trout is a survivorstoned-trout is a survivorstoned-trout is a survivorstoned-trout is a survivorstoned-trout is a survivorstoned-trout is a survivorstoned-trout is a survivorstoned-trout is a survivorstoned-trout is a survivor
Boutique,,or unique strains will always have a market...yeehaw
SML..iff mi spellin and centances suk and yoo don't lyke itt too fukkin bad;/?.....I once was asked what I would say upon getting to the gates of heaven??? m/r is a visitors badge an option??? I would like a few drinks at the bar... YEEHAW....vote for real legalization not sum bullshit...free the weed or kiss my ass...you wont be getting my tax money..
stoned-trout is offline Quote

6 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:46 AM #8
Mr Blah

Mr Blah is a jewel in the roughMr Blah is a jewel in the roughMr Blah is a jewel in the roughMr Blah is a jewel in the roughMr Blah is a jewel in the roughMr Blah is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smug_Pepe View Post
I'm working on developing a solid outdoor game. Indoor here is becoming difficult because people don't want to pay for the quality anymore.too many asshats driving down the price of the good stuff with mediocre.

Concentrates also seem to have an effect on the flower market. You can take a mediocre crop looks wise and turn it in to gold, shit you could never sell in flower form.

This is what I'm finding and legalization is just getting started here.

I'm glad I started learning over a decade ago, I'd hate to be a noob grower with profitable aspirations right now.
What state are you from?
Mr Blah is offline Quote

Old 10-26-2017, 01:27 PM #9
coldcanna

coldcanna has much to be proud ofcoldcanna has much to be proud ofcoldcanna has much to be proud ofcoldcanna has much to be proud ofcoldcanna has much to be proud ofcoldcanna has much to be proud ofcoldcanna has much to be proud ofcoldcanna has much to be proud ofcoldcanna has much to be proud ofcoldcanna has much to be proud ofcoldcanna has much to be proud of
I don't see any way for a small grower to succeed in a legal market- after all its just a plant like tomatoes, basil, oranges, ect... You don't see any farmers running a business with 60 tomato plants no matter how good it is. Trout was right, there will always be a market for premier indoors but honestly the large warehouse people are growing top shelf already and doing it for much lower costs than a small op could.

That being said- in business the theory is called "value added products". This is where you turn a commodity into a unique product and that is where you stand the best chance to make your money. For example, Ocean Spray Juice is making wayyyy more money than the cranberry growers, or look at a package of beef jerky which is $0.50 worth of beef being sold for $5 at the store. Once its no longer a commodity you can earn your profit from selling uniqueness and special appeal

"One has not only a legal but a moral responsibility to obey just laws. Conversely, one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws. I would agree with St. Augustine that "an unjust law is no law at all""

Freedom begins between the ears
coldcanna is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:35 PM #10
socioecologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldcanna View Post
I don't see any way for a small grower to succeed in a legal market- after all its just a plant like tomatoes, basil, oranges, ect... You don't see any farmers running a business with 60 tomato plants no matter how good it is. Trout was right, there will always be a market for premier indoors but honestly the large warehouse people are growing top shelf already and doing it for much lower costs than a small op could.

That being said- in business the theory is called "value added products". This is where you turn a commodity into a unique product and that is where you stand the best chance to make your money. For example, Ocean Spray Juice is making wayyyy more money than the cranberry growers, or look at a package of beef jerky which is $0.50 worth of beef being sold for $5 at the store. Once its no longer a commodity you can earn your profit from selling uniqueness and special appeal
Great post! Minor point to add: the small, craft farmers will likely end up supplying about 20% of the total demand once national legalization rolls out, with an ever-consolidating oligopoly producing the other 80%. That's what we see in every other major consumer product industry.

1 members found this post helpful.