What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone with experience with 1991 Honda Fourtrax TRX300FW??

M

moose eater

Also, yes, the front shocks on mine ran from 1988 to 1992. Then changed in 1993, through,I believe, 1997. and then from 1998 to 2000.

I can look into the fitment differences between the '92 & '93 300s, but I suspect the person wanting me to see if a pair from a 1991 400 will fit a 1991 300 is off-base in their thinking... Though as stated, I could be made to be pleasantly incorrect... and quite willingly.

A quick parts # search and comparison should reveal if they're being overly optimistic.

M

moose eater

Yeah, I need to call them and see what they can muster. But I think from my reviews online, that he carries only the 1993 and up stuff. Not certain, though. They're based in Minnesota, so they're 3 hours ahead of me.

I've done business with them before, and sometimes.. sometimes.. have scored some amazing deals on things otherwise long-gone (*An original, re-labeled, HEAVY canvas trailering cover for my 1998 Ski Doo Tundra II R came from them. Still use it, having added customized medium-heavy webbing straps that use pinch buckles around the ski struts to keep the cover on the machine's nose at 70 mph on the trailer, rolling down the highway; a fitment change we now do to every trailering cover for any machine..).

Thanks.

I need to call High Lifter in Louisiana in a moment or three. See if they at least can come up with coil springs to fit my shocks, if they can't come up with a complete 'built' high-performance shock.

M

moose eater

I sense a 'hallelujah!' moment on the horizon!!

I called High Lifter, and they don't even list, let alone stock the ONE remaining coil spring for the rear shock they made that Dennis Kirk has on hand, though not confirmed by holding it in someone's hand.

That spring is alleged to still be available from DK once confirmed to exist.

But HL says they are a distributor/dealer for Progressive Shocks; the Cadillac of shocks in some cases, and which I drooled over when I had my Electraglides.

Progressive lists (at the Progressive web page) a set of front coil-overs for my machine for a list price of $299/pair. We'll see what a dealer wants for them; perhaps less, as is often the case in such arrangements?

HL should be calling back at some point with info on the fronts, and perhaps even info on whether a rear coil-over can be had.

The battle with impatience and money in these efforts. But perhaps success?

insomniac_AU

If DK still has that rear spring I think it would be good for you. It is a HL spring but it's only an inch lift which isn't much and with the increased spring rate might work out well once you put some weight on it. I think it will fit as I said I don't think the rear suspension changed in 10 years. Front springs might be more of an issue but you might be able to use springs from something like a 300EX. Some people on the forums claim to have used those.

M

moose eater

Still waiting on a call, but it looks optimistic (shhhh.. don't tell anyone I advocated a position of optimism...) that Progressive Shocks might still be making front coil-overs for my unit, and they're the Cadillac of spring-shocks in my opinion. Stiff and heavy duty when compressed, and cushy when riding light.

Just what the Doctor ordered for my spine, and for carrying any heavy loads over trails.

Yes, I'm trying to talk myself into paying $300 plus freight for the front end suspension, and thus far, with arguments like the one I just posed, I'm succeeding. ;^>)

M

moose eater

Well... Progressive Suspension DOES NOT make a shock or coil for my machine, per their techs. (... he said, sounding a lot like Eyore)..

So.... I have a shop a ways away from my home, checking in with their Honda Vintage Parts source; presumably an outlet like may such outlets, that gathers up old new stock obsolete parts, and sometimes gives a bargain in pricing, but most of the time charges as though you're getting a piece sent from the Smithsonian Institute. 'Cause in some ways, you are.....

If that's a strike out, I'm left with old shocks and perhaps custom cut and tempered coils (maybe), shimmed coils (by adding additional bushings to the retainer ring's contact point with the existing coils, eBay's second-hand junk that recreates the current problem for a grand price of anywhere from $39 to $149, or maybe getting back in touch with one of the more reputable rural salvage yards and seeing if they'll hunt down serviceable shocks for a reasonable price.

At this point, I think I'll scarf on that rear coil spring that Dennis Kirk has/had, made by High Lifter, and consider myself fortunate.

By the time I get done, I'll have just under or about $2,000 into this bugger, but she'll be right, with the remaining question marks being the suspension. I've done worse, and I've done much better.

M

moose eater

Thanks. Key would be their ability to bring the front end back up to where the camber and caster are within normal spec. And to accept a fairly stout load, too.

I'll give the article a whirl in a bit here, after I get some things taken care of; number of things chose the last couple days to go on the fritz.. From the stove and oven's circuit board, to the crank on a basement window, and more. "When it rains it pours."

Thanks for the link and ideas. Should hear back indirectly from Honda Vintage Parts today some time.

M

moose eater

Hey, Insomniac AU. I gave that a read, and am impressed. Though I don't know that he ever answered the fellow who inquired about the year of manufacture on the 300FW he is dealing with. That seems crucial to me at this juncture, otherwise I'm 'all in.'

And I like the idea of using a modified .30-06 casing to manufacture a suitable bushing, though brass under those circumstances might be soft enough to require regular replacement.. I have more than a few of those spent casings laying around here, as that's the large-game-animal caliber I bought for my sons.

Doubt my .338 Win Mag brass would work, but have hundreds of each of those 2 calibers here in spent brass.. And if it's closer, I think my .500 S&W Mag brass is either the size in diameter of the base of the .30-06 or the .338 casings, can't remember which, and it would require less shortening in length, I suspect, if it's long enough at all..

Any way to find out if the fellow was using that on a pre-'93 Fourtrax 300FW? Versus later than that?

Thanks.

M

moose eater

Found a rear coil for the rear uni-shock.

Dampening in both front and rear are satisfactory, as far as the shocks & seals themselves go.

Need to take care of the sag in both front and rear, to make sure they're up to hauling heavy meat. New coil coming for the rear should take care of that end for a while.. maybe.

Waiting for a business to open up tomorrow in Oregon, to offer them some $ for 'research wrenching,' to remove a shock from the front and rear of a 2002 (or so) 300EX, and remove the same from a 88-92 300FW, and compare the two; over-all diameter of coil, length of shocks eye-to-eye, lay of 'knuckle' where the eye is for accessing the space for the mount, diameter of the eye in the bushing, etc., and see if the change-over is applicable to my year wheeler.

Be worth an investment to find this out, if they're willing. On the bright side, if they have the time & inclination, it'd result in no reduction to their inventory, and part of the day paid for a mechanic

In the interim, I'll see if the place in Anchorage that used to make custom springs for automobiles is still in business, and how light they can go in custom coils. May be that if they're still in existence (haven't used their services in years), and if they can make lighter-gauge coils, I'll see how much they'd charge just to make new coils, and make them slightly longer than my saggy stock springs.

M

moose eater

Located a custom spring manufacturing place in the Lower-48 States that doesn't want too awful much for good quality custom-built coil springs.

Will be mailing them a front coil spring to work from, and they'll ship it back shortly.

Intending to increase the front ride-height by ~1" from original (new) stock height, and increase the weight capacity by ~20-25 lbs. per each front spring. Maybe ask for something that remains a bit cushy for the first inch of compression, and notably stiffer thereafter; the best of both worlds for transporting heavy weight, and riding with enough comfort.

Still need to go through the splines on the rear drums/hubs, as well as check wheel/axle bearings, U-joints, etc. and we're pretty well through it, except for a tranny rebuild f it needs it later on, and painting the racks, etc.

M

moose eater

Well..... The long trail toward new front coil-overs for the still-decent shocks has ended in... dead air.

It seems that Honda's high-end thinner gauge wire and tapering, coupled with variable spans between springs for a progressive effect, has stumped the folks who thought they could do it for a reasonable price.

The ONY place that has popped up on the radar that is equipped to meet all of the requests for calibration re. height, resistance/capacity, dimensions, etc., wants an outrageous $400/coil. Ain't happening.. Maybe if I win the Publisher's Clearing House Sweepstakes, and even then...

So I contacted a very fair-minded and talented machinist who can make some aluminum risers/rings for the contact plates/rings on the shocks, and raise that point up by what ever distance I wish (in my case, ~1") with a slight taper of .02" as it comes up, to guarantee a 'shoulder' that will prevent the spring from ever going mis-aligned.

I was hesitant re. aluminum versus stainless steel, but the retainer rings on many of my coil-overs in the past and present, whether snowmobiles or motorcycles, have been stout aluminum, soooo...

Trying to get some decent, new, and improved coils has been an adventure. But I found numerous helpful resources in the process that may become useful/handy in the future.

Meanwhile, in a more simple (in some ways) design, we're now toying with running TWO sets of coils per shock, but stacked; one larger diameter for the upper, and one shorter and narrower for the bottom, with a machined guide and collar to align them in the middle. The formal fixes are now getting more creative out of necessity.

The road goes on forever... or so it seems.

M

moose eater

1-1/4" aluminum risers/spacers for the coil-overs are in the works. Should be completed by the time my coil I sent Outside returns to me.

A temporary fix until I can locate the different diameter coils to stack to accommodate the variance in diameter of the originals.

Next up: machined mounts for a downrigger for the boat, and a couple Ski Doo snowmobiles requiring varying amounts of repair or rebuild work.

Down time affording time for bringing things to where I need them to be, as far as dependability is concerned, as long as the budget holds.

Couple of trailers to bring up to spec, as well, though they're currently functional.

didnt read post op: haynes manuals? good luck, at least every single part can be bought straight off honda japan, for the price of its weight in gold :D

M

moose eater

Thanks.

No Haynes/Hanes Manuals. Some generic experience in trouble-shooting. And my younger son is getting great training in such vehicles and more, over this last summer, and into the future.

The earlier electrical parts were mostly available OEM, but then we started encountering some 'red herrings.' Especially with suspension parts. No shickls or cols for this thing in a LONG time from Honda.

But the creativity continues, trying not to succumb to the outrageous expense of having the ONE place we found custom-build original dimension coils, but with the increased ride height and load capacity we want.

I hate to take the cheaper way, but in contrast to $400/coil for the front end ($800 total), just for 2 coil springs, it seemed the more sane thing to do.

It'll be uglier than some, prettier than others, but stout for labor, and reliable when we're done. And we're almost done.

I can see her hauling coolers of fish out of the canyon in Chitina, and game bags of moose in the North Alaska Range, in my mind's eye, and she looks adept doing so...;^>)

Time will tell, though.

Thanks again.

M

moose eater

Where there's a will.... someone's about to spend a BUNCH of money... or get creative. ;^>)

M

moose eater

1-1/4" spacers for pre-loading the shock coils are back and beauteous!!

The sample coil sent Outside is on the way home, via fast freight.

Should be back together SOON, with still unworked plans to accommodate the absence of a reasonably-priced coil replacement; stacked twin coil, one narrow and one larger in diameter, replacing a single coil per shock. But for now, with spacers, I won't need to go there.

Lotta' leg-work & phone time went into getting here, but other than freight for the sample spring, final cost on current 'fix' is <$60!! I'm good with that!