What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

78w LED scrog Cabinet 1.17 sqft

Parallax

Holy sh_t..... I didn't have a vaporiser today so I lit a joint.... man, this shit is da bomb.. Smooth smoke, right away gives you a good blow to the head but still nice - was high AF at first but no paranoia, slowly getting more couch lock...very physical calming effect later on. Very happy with the result of this blue mystic, a keeper!!

Athos

I'm curious, what were your ambient temperatures during the day and night and how many CFM did you have

Parallax

Second grow has started

Second grow has started

And we're back in business :biggrin: With the winter cold it should be easier to keep the temperature under control this time. It's about 50F/10C in this room - this lowers the temps to about 80F/26C inside the grow box with all the lights on. I still don't have a cutting room so I had to grow from seed again. Started germinating a Special Queen 1 (Power bud x Skunk) female seed mid November and I hope to start flowering mid/end January, so I can harvest end of March.

I made the following changes:

- increased the vertical space inside the grow box by raising the top shelf with the lights. - it's now 18" (47cm) from soil to the bottom of lightbulb.
- changed the filter. I used a plastic tub and cut a hole in the bottom. the charcoal (1" thick) is sandwiched in between 2 strips of strong but strong foldable perforated sandpaper
- raised the fan, improving light distribution. the filter basically hangs in the wooden shelf, the fan is simply duct-taped on top of it
- placed the light bulbs in a circle around the fan to better distribute the light
- removed the mylar and painted the walls white
- found a better container with larger drainage holes in the bottom - wrapped a pantyhose around it as well to prevent insect problems
- layer of perlite on top to prevent gnats laying eggs in the soil
- when I transplanted her I put her on one side of the container to make LST training easier

I water every 3 days or so (by weight) with pH'ed tap water (I leave it overnight to blow off chlorine). This 1.1gallon/5L container can hold about 0.2gallons/0.75L of water. Started a compost tea yesterday and will apply that every other week or so.

Here's the new lights/fan shelf...

And here she is after she got transplanted one week ago. She was germinated from seed 6 weeks ago. Had a very slow growth due to low humidity and nutrient burn but now she's taking off.

Parallax

I'm curious, what were your ambient temperatures during the day and night and how many CFM did you have

It's a 69 CFM / 120mm fan. The ambient (as in "outside the box") temp was around 70F during day and night, but without A/C it got to 80F easily. This, together with the fact that I didn't have a second fan for extra airflow, was why the temps inside the box got over 90F on some days.

Mr Pyr0

Great, here we go again. Cab looks great. I've recently modified mine and increased headroom to almost 19" by deconstructing all my led bulbs and mounting them on a heavy duty baking sheet, have you thought about doing that, just need some basic soldering skills and a clear mind about safely dealing with mains voltages.

As for the layer of perlite for combating fungus gnats, I've tried that and noticed the little critters crawling in and out through the perlite, also after I removed the layer of perlite I noticed the top layer of soil was quite damp and the perlite was preventing it from drying out. So I think your better off without it. I ended up buying some BTI and drench the top layer of soil ever couple of weeks and it's keeping them under control.

best of luck with the grow, I'll be pulling up a seat and following.

:)

Parallax

Week 7 since germination

Week 7 since germination

Here she is entering week 7 since germination. I notice some smell in the room, and I think it was the bottom panels not being airtight so I did a quick duct tape fix. Masked the smell in the room with 10 drops of lemon grass oil in a small cup and placed that on the cabinet shelf above the lights/fan where the filtered air comes out. Her skunky smell was gone in no time.

Her leaves are getting really dark green now. I fertilise every two weeks with organic manure pellets dissolved in water. I water every 4 days - keeping the soil much dryer than in my last grow. RH is about 30% with lights on and 45% with lights off. Temp about 77F/25C with lights on and and 55F/12C with lights off. Lights are about 6 inches from the top of the plant.

Today pH run-off was 6.0 but then slowly climbed to 7.0, don't really know what's going there. Anyway she looks fine so no need to change things yet I guess.

Parallax

Great, here we go again. Cab looks great. I've recently modified mine and increased headroom to almost 19" by deconstructing all my led bulbs and mounting them on a heavy duty baking sheet, have you thought about doing that, just need some basic soldering skills and a clear mind about safely dealing with mains voltages.

As for the layer of perlite for combating fungus gnats, I've tried that and noticed the little critters crawling in and out through the perlite, also after I removed the layer of perlite I noticed the top layer of soil was quite damp and the perlite was preventing it from drying out. So I think your better off without it. I ended up buying some BTI and drench the top layer of soil ever couple of weeks and it's keeping them under control.

best of luck with the grow, I'll be pulling up a seat and following.

:)

Hey MrPyr0 thanks mate - that's a great idea using a baking sheet. I don't have a lot of knowledge of power/electronics but I suppose one important thing would be to make sure the electric parts of the bulb don't get in contact with the sheet.

So far I haven't seen any gnats (fingers cross) but if they show up I'll put down a layer of course sand on top - that seemed to do the trick with other plants.

Mr Pyr0

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=75656&pictureid=1816909&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Here she is entering week 7 since germination. I notice some smell in the room, and I think it was the bottom panels not being airtight so I did a quick duct tape fix. Masked the smell in the room with 10 drops of lemon grass oil in a small cup and placed that on the cabinet shelf above the lights/fan where the filtered air comes out. Her skunky smell was gone in no time.

^^^ This is a great tip, rather then try and get rid of the smell just mask it, I'll have to remember this one.

Nice one.

Parallax

Week 8

Week 8

The smell was getting more intense, especially just after the lights go on and off, so I decided to replace the fan/filter. Fortunately it was a fairly warm winter day so I could open a window and do all the work in the same room. I installed a double 32cfm 80mm with 1" of aquarium charcoal in between, similar to a scrubber. The charcoal is from a pet store - it was more expensive than the stuff from the dollar store but this stuff looked much shinier, pointier, having a larger surface area.

Temp was quite high yesterday, 90F/32C, so I took out two light bulbs, and the temp went back to 77F/25C. So it's a 52w/6000lm setup now.

This is what she looks like now after some training:

Parallax

^^^ This is a great tip, rather then try and get rid of the smell just mask it, I'll have to remember this one.

Nice one.

Yeah it works pretty well but the thing is: it's a quick fix, and needs to be re-applied every day or so. If you don't have a shelf or option to filter the air directly in the cab you could just mop the whole floor with a homemade lemongrass cleaner, i.e. half a gallon of warm water, a dash of vinegar, and 10 drops of lemon grass oil.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Yeah it works pretty well but the thing is: it's a quick fix, and needs to be re-applied every day or so. If you don't have a shelf or option to filter the air directly in the cab you could just mop the whole floor with a homemade lemongrass cleaner, i.e. half a gallon of warm water, a dash of vinegar, and 10 drops of lemon grass oil.

If you need a quick fix, fry some bacon. The smell will cover it, plus you get bacon. :D

I dig your Lil grow. You and Blynx have inspired me to build out a mini grow. I got a 300w led Above PAR brand, and my girls are going nuts under it. As soon as I can figure out how to post pics, I'll make a led mini grow thread.

P.s. I hope my plants turn out as well as yours.

Parallax

Back again

Back again

Okay so my computer crashed and I couldn't safely access the forum... but it's all solved now.

This is her in the last week of veg.

And here a couple of days after flipping to 12/12. Temps is 26C/78F and humidity was 64% which I managed to lower by just putting a few food desiccant sachets in the container.The lights are on from 8.30pm till 8.30am - this is when it's cold inside this room and it's also safer as I'm usually at home so if something goes wrong I'm there.