What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

78w LED scrog Cabinet 1.17 sqft

starke

A dremel with a cut-off wheel works wonders on all of them. Did 16 of the Phillips bulbs for my open air veg light strip in about 10 minutes. Love your cabinet. I'm a big fan of micro grows so I'll tag along. Good luck.

Parallax

Nice cab! Looking forward to seeing the Blue Mystic take off and fill up the cab.

Thanks blynx :tiphat: I probably couldn't and wouldn't have done it without you!

Many thanks to everyone else chiming in how to remove the dome.... it still seems a bit of a daunting task (the sawing option possibly the safest but still....) so I think Ill leave it for now. Let's see how they will grow with the dome on - and how close they can get to the lights without bleaching.

Parallax

The screen

The screen

Okay so I installed the screen this morning.

I used this metal screen with 2" holes from the dollar store which fits exactly in the cabinet. Chopsticks seemed like a good way to hold it up in the air - they're cheap, strong, have the right length and they have an opening on the top which really holds the screen. Most importantly I think is the black wire that holds the screen down, without it the plant would push the screen up I think. I drilled a hole in the container and attached the wire before filling it up with soil.

I also wrapped some duct tape at the bottom of the chopsticks just as a precaution but I think it'll take at least a few grows before they start to rot.
The screen is 5" above the soil, there's a enough room to put my hands under it to train. The distance from the screen to the bottom of the bulbs is 12.5".

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
I dig it- very resourceful. Is the rack nickel or something similar? Couldn't hurt to set aside some tape to coat it. I've seen metal racks that have rusted in the past.

Parallax

I dig it- very resourceful. Is the rack nickel or something similar? Couldn't hurt to set aside some tape to coat it. I've seen metal racks that have rusted in the past.

Cheers that's a good point! I'm not sure what it is exactly but considering this price it's probably of a lower quality so yes I think it will rust over time. I probably should either tape or spray paint it one day.

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Shit- if it's a dollar store find, just buy a few and see how they do in the dishwasher (flaking/chipping/degredation/whathaveyou)

Parallax

Shit- if it's a dollar store find, just buy a few and see how they do in the dishwasher (flaking/chipping/degredation/whathaveyou)

Haha I don't have a dishwasher but yeah they're dirt cheap so guess would be nice to have few spare ones. I will try to avoid getting the screen in contact with water when fertilising cause I read somewhere it can chemically interfere with the fertiliser.

Parallax

Another picture - she's under 78w now - 5x 2700k and 1x6500k. I decided to increase light because I didn't really see a lot of growth with one 6500k bulb. With the added 5 she seems to really take off. Not really stretching though but that's okay. Temp around 75 degrees F now, night around 60.

I will start flowering in two weeks - I probably could wait longer to really fill up the screen better but I have to finish this grow by the end of May.

What's the small yellow leaf in the bottom left? Is that nute burn? I haven't really been fertilising yet, mostly relying on the nutes in the soil mix which shouldn't be very strong. Only feeding her rice water (the whitish water when you rinse the uncooked rice) mixed with bokashi juice to increase microbial life. Will do this every other watering. Also giving her a foliar neem oil spray every week.

Parallax

Been a while since the last update. Things have changed a bit.

I noticed that she wasn't stretching much at all and that scrogging would probably become quite difficult. So I switched to LST.

Parallax

I placed the screen after the plan was a bit taller but still LST. The screen is actually still very nice as it really helps to keep the colas apart. The photo below is from this morning after some tucking. Quite a few colas are now actually horizontal, I don't know if that will cause any problems but I wanted to lower them because they were getting very close to the bulbs (less than 1 inch) and I noticed some bleaching on the leaves.

Since last week I also noticed some overall yellowing of most leaves, especially the lower part of the plant, the top part with smaller leaves are healthy green. I suspected a calcium deficiency so I added a handful of organic lime yesterday. Temps are about 85F/77F day/night. What do you guys think? is this serious? I'm actually more worried about the overall yellowing, I hope bud formation won't be affected!

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
85 seems a bit high for a smaller cab.

Looks like you're losing magnesium or nitrogen. Run off numbers?

Jonnysact

Purpling of the stems, rust spots. Me thinks Cal Mag. Same quesiton as psgospel? Peraps your PH has dipped too low and out of range?

Parallax

Thanks a bunch for your input guys - I appreciate the quick replies!

85 seems a bit high for a smaller cab.
Thanks I raised the lights so it's around 77F during the day now - crazy how hot those LEDS actually get!

Looks like you're losing magnesium or nitrogen. Run off numbers?
Runoff pH of tapwater (adjusted to pH6.0) is about 6.5 - I've been keeping a pretty good eye on it every 2-3 waterings. I leave it overnight to blow off chlorine. Don't know EC or other specifics.

Purpling of the stems, rust spots. Me thinks Cal Mag.
That was also my guess, so I hope the lime will help a bit. I think I'll give her a epsom salt foliar spray tomorrow!

Check your roots...... looks like Pythium has taken hold.
Hadn't thought about that! But checked the roots - only a few sticking out of the drainage holes and they are white so I guess it's not rot!