What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
Thanks for the response. I will say again that your microcab grows and this thread are what inspired me. :bow:

Here is my current sensi seed Northern Lights about three or four weeks before chop(not sure yet how much I slowed her growth earlier in flower. I roughed her up quite a bit about week 3) under just over a hundred watts of SIL.

What are the watts of your light bulbs?

Sunshineinabag

I use feit 100w replacement bulbs w the cri 90...

But i was raised in a jonny paycheck home and my way of doing things offends others....itis what it is...I ain't apologizing for being me

MdNewgrower

What are the watts of your light bulbs?

Mostly 9w, but a couple of 8.5w mixed in. Next grow will be all 9w.

Chopped last night, probably a little early, but it is what it is. Depending on the yield this time, I will stick with the 108w, or possibly bump it up to 16 bulbs for 144w total. If I get 4 oz off this, I will settle in on the low end.

SpideyManDan

Another way to remove the plastic ball from the lamp.

https://ibb.co/ChW8GZR

Hot damn, that was so clean.

I just want to say, I joined this site only because of this thread. It's amazing inspiration. With all of the grow lights out there and technology of these lights increase so quickly, it's awesome to have SILS for the low price and ease of buying anywhere. I'm so tired of everything being so expensive and when you buy the new one, a month later there is a newer better one getting sold by the same company..

Idk but I just wanted to get that off my chest lol

SpideyManDan

So I have a genuine question for yall on here.

Has anyone heard of legitimate stories of anyone getting shocked or fires breaking out? I was having a discussion over cheap chinese quantum boards on another forum and figured the question would be valid for over here as well.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran

Has anyone heard of legitimate stories of anyone getting shocked or fires breaking out? I was having a discussion over cheap chinese quantum boards on another forum and figured the question would be valid for over here as well.

If you take off the dome you usually expose live parts, so shocks are fairly common. The last one was the back of someones hand. They touched both pins, so the circuit through them was just the back of their hand where nothing vital exists.

I don't know of these causing a fire. It low power so nothing gets that hot and a poor connection likely just makes them go and&off.

Never say never... It's quite possible for people to bugger up at the most unlikely of times

Im'One

What colors are everyone using mine are mixed 3000k and 5000k at fifteen watts each
I have some CFLS on the side aT 3500k and 6500k

fredstinkle

Safety and color

Safety and color

:DI've never been shocked from a bulb yet, nor had any problems with wiring the electrical except once with an early test. Color for my bloom light is an even mix of warm and cool whites, 14 -17 actual watts
Veg is all cool watts and clones start in a bubbler with a blend of 3 warm 2 cool white, 5-9 actual watts
I've been a longtime lurker of this forum and read this thread in its entirety at least twice, I bought a Mars Hydro light as an upgrade, it had mechanical failure after 60 days of bloom, went back to my diy light, the homebrew light worked better, never failed and has, IMO equal power the way my girls responded. Thank you guys, I've been able to gather a wealth of information from this forum and especially from this thread, and I always do my best to share information whenever possible. Keep up the great work everyone.

Attachments

• IMG_20200419_192519.jpg
    IMG_20200419_192519.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 33

Amynamous

I’ve been shocked but it was my fault.
Iirc, it was a GE bulb and had two little prongs attached to the surface off the light.
I was kneeling and had my head tucked into the tent. As i was raising my head up, the back of my head touched the two prongs.
The shock shorted out the bulb. I haven’t done it again since. :D

Sampas92

Just newbin
Hi guys, new grower here on sils too, inspired on this thread :good:
I get zapped too but on porpuse just to see what was ground or not:bigeye:
Btw, since some of you guys grow autos here with sils one question..i know sils have a pretty good intensity depending on watts lumens and amount of diodes and since i have a 2 day old seedling, i just have one 5w 400lm 65k sil with cap on at about 30cm from it, it doesnt streched in any way, the stalk dont have that purplish colour that somethimes they get from light burn, in fact it is a pretty healthy seedling for what i have been reading along the years, a short stalk, a good green but the thing is i didnt noticed any difference relatively to the growth of the first pair of true leaves, i know they grow by stages, roots, leaves, roots, leaves so on and so on, but its the light powerfull enough for the first days of life?i ask because i saw people that do good with all the sils on, others dont, cobs, with photoperiod or autos..
i guess so since it doesnt show symptoms of over or under lighting, what you guys think?
Btw its a auto skittlez from advance seeds, the soil is light mix from biobizz and the temps and humidity are on point with the controller with the mins and max at 23/26c and 68/75% on a 20/4 light schedule
Thank you guys:tiphat:

Im'One

Hi guys, new grower here on sils too, inspired on this thread :good:
I get zapped too but on porpuse just to see what was ground or not:bigeye:
Btw, since some of you guys grow autos here with sils one question..i know sils have a pretty good intensity depending on watts lumens and amount of diodes and since i have a 2 day old seedling, i just have one 5w 400lm 65k sil with cap on at about 30cm from it, it doesnt streched in any way, the stalk dont have that purplish colour that somethimes they get from light burn, in fact it is a pretty healthy seedling for what i have been reading along the years, a short stalk, a good green but the thing is i didnt noticed any difference relatively to the growth of the first pair of true leaves, i know they grow by stages, roots, leaves, roots, leaves so on and so on, but its the light powerfull enough for the first days of life?i ask because i saw people that do good with all the sils on, others dont, cobs, with photoperiod or autos..
i guess so since it doesnt show symptoms of over or under lighting, what you guys think?
Btw its a auto skittlez from advance seeds, the soil is light mix from biobizz and the temps and humidity are on point with the controller with the mins and max at 23/26c and 68/75% on a 20/4 light schedule
Thank you guys:tiphat:
I use a 60 watt CFL for babies and set it right about four to six inches away.

Sampas92

Just newbin
I use a 60 watt CFL for babies and set it right about four to six inches away.
Thanks for your answer..i know cfl and flourescent tubes like t5 etc are great for the seedling/veg state but since i see guys here doing it from seed to harvest, clone to harvest with leds spending less electrical costs and i would apreciate that since in my country its pretty expensive..i know i was way better with samsung strips, or bridgelux, or qb but the money is not abundant so i already buy all of this slowly, month by month..in the future with savings from quiting buying weed and hash i will improve the overall setup, but for now, i just just need to rest my mind regarding if im doing anything wrong at this stage of its life.
Honestly i just notice the slow growth, maybe just the seed was weak? Maybe wait for a few more days?im so anxious with this, my ying is all fucked up with my yang just like this :ying::D

PCBuds

This is my CandyCane Autoflower seedling that had four 10 Watt, 800-lumen bulbs at 6" with the globes on and a fifth bulb without the globe.
(They are 2,700 K bulbs because all my cool white bulbs have their globes removed)

I noticed that the stalk was kinda purple and the leaves were kinda pale, so I raised the four bulbs to 9".

This is her now after being transplanted into my closet with Bridgelux LED strip lighting.
She is now 31" tall and about 10 days into flower.

I'm a fan of giving my plants as much light as they can stand without roasting them. Lol

Sampas92

Just newbin
This is my CandyCane Autoflower seedling that had four 10 Watt, 800-lumen bulbs at 6" with the globes on and a fifth bulb without the globe.
(They are 2,700 K bulbs because all my cool white bulbs have their globes removed)

[URL=https://i.postimg.cc/nL6SQkdQ/20201012-094707-1.jpg]View Image[/url]

I noticed that the stalk was kinda purple and the leaves were kinda pale, so I raised the four bulbs to 9".

[URL=https://i.postimg.cc/hPDwrFhg/20201011-230320.jpg]View Image[/url]

This is her now after being transplanted into my closet with Bridgelux LED strip lighting.
She is now 31" tall and about 10 days into flower.

[URL=https://i.postimg.cc/j5Tb2R41/20201122-120352-1.jpg]View Image[/url]

I'm a fan of giving my plants as much light as they can stand without roasting them. Lol

Thanks for the input pcbuds, big fan of your computer grow..so are you sugesting me to turn on another light or two?
I have the light with more 10cm than yours are, so maybe one or two more wouldnt hurt?but what i was gainning with that?more speed growth because of the added light instead of this slow growth?for example i notice that your pair of true leaves are bigger than the cotylodons, like the two stunted seeds that i wasted due to poor environment, but this one at the third day after it sprouted, the first set are there, but smaller than the cotylodons, shouldnt be bigger by now?
picture.php

picture.php

This ones are from yesterday, but today the diference is little..
Am i wrong due to my inexperience or right?add more light carefully?im afraid to add more light since the other 2 stunted wasted seeds had excess ligths symptons, pale leaves, purple stem, with just one 9w 720lm 65k in the same spot at this one 5watter,
maybe is a week seed?
What you think pcbuds?

Sampas92

Just newbin
Btw the way i notice a growth of 1cm+/- from yesterday to today but just on the stem..the leaves are barelly diferent