What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Germinating seeds...

nickman

Veteran
I’m just wondering what would be better to germinate some seeds in: either Fox Farms Ocean Forest or Fox Farms Happy Frog...

I’m thinking the Happy Frog would be better ...

Should I cut it with some worm castings...

I usually use Fox Farms Light Warrior which is a seed starter soil, but I ran out of it...
I’m just looking for some help cause I don’t wanna burn the seedlings and kill them...

Thanx .

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
I’m just wondering what would be better to germinate some seeds in: either Fox Farms Ocean Forest or Fox Farms Happy Frog...

I’m thinking the Happy Frog would be better ...

Should I cut it with some worm castings...

I usually use Fox Farms Light Warrior which is a seed starter soil, but I ran out of it...
I’m just looking for some help cause I don’t wanna burn the seedlings and kill them...

Thanx .
Neither. They have too many nutrients and the wrong ratios for seedlings. Try germinating in coco coir or rockwool. That also reduces risks of pathogens.

Both coco coir and rockwool need to be prepared, by having them soak for a day in ph adjusted water (6.0 for coco coir, slightly lower for rockwool). After they emerge, you feed them with 0.2 EC to 0.4 EC of blooming nutrients. The high P and K will put a good root system on your plants and create strong, healthy stems. The lower N will prevent burning of the roots.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
i have planted seedlings sprouted from a paper towel straight into happy frog many times without problems, even 50/50 mix ocean forest happy frog without issues.

the happy frog by itself would be the safest.

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
No experience with HF but have read that it’s not as hot as FFOF. Either way, go 2:1 or even 1:1 ratio cut with perlite and you’ll be fine. I can attest to FFOF being fine for this. And since HF is supposedly not as hot, you should be fine using it too, with either ratio. Just don’t cut either with castings. No need. Use perlite. Start in a small container. Years ago laziness led me to germinate seeds directly into a mix of FFOF, FFOPM, FFLW & Perlite, at a 2:1 ratio, without issue. Perlite is the key here, cut appropriately. Best of luck!

nickman

Veteran
No experience with HF but have read that it’s not as hot as FFOF. Either way, go 2:1 or even 1:1 ratio cut with perlite and you’ll be fine. I can attest to FFOF being fine for this. And since HF is supposedly not as hot, you should be fine using it too, with either ratio. Just don’t cut either with castings. No need. Use perlite. Start in a small container. Years ago laziness led me to germinate seeds directly into a mix of FFOF, FFOPM, FFLW & Perlite, at a 2:1 ratio, without issue. Perlite is the key here, cut appropriately. Best of luck!

Thanks man, yeah I always use FF light warrior for my seedlings in beer cups...

The problem I have is I’m out of both perlite and the light warrior...
I have a few bags of FF happy frog and ocean forest... that’s the only reason I ask... I just don’t wanna have to go to the store and buy more soil. Thanks guys

Germinate straight into mushroom compost. It's gentle fungal community will integrate a seedling with easy and enlightenment

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
So did you go with straight Happy Frog? How'd it go? I know I would be nervous going into straight FFOF, but would do it if in a pinch. I've never really found it to be as hot as some claim - during my early years I certainly mixed some soil way hotter than OF :biggrin:

nickman

Veteran
So did you go with straight Happy Frog? How'd it go? I know I would be nervous going into straight FFOF, but would do it if in a pinch. I've never really found it to be as hot as some claim - during my early years I certainly mixed some soil way hotter than OF :biggrin:

Yes, I went with straight Happy Frog... the seedlings are loving it ...
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.