What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help with Brownies (with cannabutter??)

Marcellas

Veteran
Okay, so I've searched around a lot of threads and posts on these forums and searched all over the web. I've made cannabutter before and just need a little help with ratios when it comes to using it for brownies.. :)
.. I plan to bake some brownies from the box (just basic Betty Crocker "Traditional Fudge Brownies, 13X9 Family Size" using cannabutter in place of the butter or oil it calls for in the recipe.

I'm going to use about 21 grams of some good outdoor-grown buds and 3 sticks of butter (1.5 cups) to make the cannabutter, using the recipe stickied in this section. The nugs I'm using are slightly leafy, but full of chrystals, good smell/high, and seedless; I would consider them higher quality.. but not amazing homegrown or anything (but gets you just as stoned I think).

Now here's my question.. The back of the box of Brownies calls for 2/3cup of Vegetable Oil. I know I should just substitute this for cannabutter and I figured if I used HALF of the cannabutter I make (3/4cup cannabutter) that would be perfect for the recipe.
.... My concern is, that would only equal out to about 10grams of pot in the entire tray of brownies!! :eek:

If I cut them into 18 squares, that would equal out to about 0.6gram per brownie. Me and my friends smoke a lot and I know some of them won't want to eat 4 brownies to get high..

I know there could be a simple solution, like smearing the other HALF of my cannabutter ontop of the brownies after they are cooked.. Or I could just bake the entire 1.5 cups into the brownie mix but I think that would mess up the consistency or how they cook..
.... Or should I just bake the 21grams of pot into 1.5 sticks of butter instead of 3 and use it all for the brownies?? But than I'd be worried about losing some of the potency from my bud using less butter.

What do you guys think??

Marcellas

Veteran
Or would it be a bad idea to use 1CUP of cannabutter for the brownies instead of the recommended 2/3cup from the recipe? If I did do that there would be about 14grams of buds in the entire tray, which would equal out to about .75g per brownie, wayyy better but thats a lot of extra butter..

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
if u dont mind ur brownies being all greasy n oily, ya add extra butter. i always just make it up following the recipe, (grease pan w ganja butter or oil) turn out great.
got some auto work done for trade for a tray o brownies just this morning....

Marcellas

Veteran
Wouldn't the brownies end up being pretty weak, if I used the recommended recipe??

The recipe calls for 2/3 CUP of oil. If I substituted that with the 2/3cup of CANNABUTTER, that would only equal out to about 10grams of marijuana in my entire tray of brownies. This only gives me 0.5gram per brownie if cut up into 20 servings, isn't that a bit low/weak?

My friends and I are all HEAVY smokers and we've made and ingested edibles many times. Most of us probably need about 1.5gram dose of high grade edibles to get stoned

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
im not sure on potency because i never make butter for one batch of cooking, i make large batches of butter in a proven method w lots of trim to produce potent butter which equals potent edibles.
its not how much marijuana is in the brownies, its the thc and canabinoids that are all fat soluble that tranfer into your butter or oil, so dont worry @ how much herb is "in" the brownies....
my2c
good luck!!!!

pip313

Why the focus on butter? Soak the bud in the 2/3 cup oil, warm not hot or cold. Squeeze the oil out of the plant matter with cheese cloth. Use oil as normal and try to get the full 2/3 cup back out of the plant matter.

I really prefer to make hash oil first, dissolve that into the veg oil in measured amounts (1.2g per 12 serving). My hash never has chlorophyll its clear yellow or red depending on strain and harvest time so add more if its the nasty green stuff 2.0g at most.

It sounds like your using too much bud for a batch of brownies. My hard core 6 blunt a day friends won't touch my brownies as they feel they are way too strong.

100mg of clean cannabis resin is a hella dose. 3/4 oz of goods should make 4 or 5 batches not 1.

I'm not joking my friends are severe stoners and won't touch mine at way less strength than a 21 gram good bud single batch.

For brownies I recomend pillsbury carmel swirl 2 boxes in a 13-9 pan. thick chewy and carmely good

Marcellas

Veteran
What if i just slowly cooked 12 grams of buds into the 2/3 cup of OIL, and use that for the brownies like you said? If cut into 20 squares, that would equal out to 0.6G per brownie which is perfect..

I'm just worried that it's too much bud for too small an amount of vegetable oil, and that all the THC from 12grams won't all bind to just 2/3 cup of oil!!
... and how long should I let the weed simmer in the oil, 4 hours on the stove??

Thanks for the help guys!! :D

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I use 1oz of bud to 1 lb of butter.. No oil is no good for brownies.. I used oil it makes the brownies very greasy

Here is my Butter :)

picture.php

FRIENDinDEED

A FRIEND WITH WEED IS A . . .
Veteran
I use 1oz of bud to 1 lb of butter.. No oil is no good for brownies.. I used oil it makes the brownies very greasy

Here is my Butter :)

View Image

i agree with hammerhead. i dont think that trying to "gram it out" per brownie is even worth the mental effort. it seems as though your trying to make sure that each brownie has a certain percentage of potency, if that is the case, that is something you would need a lab to do.

just go ahead and follow the base recipe for cannabutter. i wouldnt recommend frying eggs with it BUT spreading a little on the toast at breakfast would hit you off nicely

as long as the bud is potent then the brownies would have damn near double the potency

1lb of butter (4 sticks) per 1oz of herb, the potency of the brownies depends on the potency of the herb and make sure that you mix the shit outta everything so that it wont be uneven in the mix AND i would still "grease" the baking pan with the cannabutter.

Useful Idiot

Veteran
21 grams is fine for three sticks of butter. And ingestion is alot differant than smoking as I am sure you are aware already. Don't think of it as ONLY getting .6 per brownie. You will be suprised of what that .6 can do. If you do this,I suggest you only eat one and wait, then wait some more. The first time I made some I did not think anything was happening.....soooo I ate two more. About an hour after that ...HOLY SHIT!!! I won't be doin that again. Let us know how this works out for ya. BTW I simmer mine for 3 1/2 hrs. Although I make 2 pound batches at a time and use four ounces of pop corn buds and very frosty trim. Comes out perfect every time. Good luck!!:biggrin:

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
You can double your reciepe instead of making one batch you can make two add your cannabis to two batches of brownies. I make chocolate so I don't have to fuck with brownies.Remember when you cook cannabis you will carbox it so this is going to change your high altogether. I don't recommend using the leaf unless your looking for sleep. I recommend using the bud and even then it will depend on how long you cook this and at what temp.I never recommend high temps for cooking cannabis or for long periods of time.Some ppl do this and it works but this is not what I do.I have never cooked anything behond an hour, half hour headband 707

pip313

0.6 grams bud per serving should be right around 0.1 grams hash oil per serving so yea thats decent.

I totally disagree that throwing random amounts of bud in is the best idea. You will never get consistity using random amounts. Using bud weight is still too close to random amounts because some bud is frostier than others even on the same plant. You would have to get to know each batch seperately. I know one brownie form may is the same as a brownie in december. 0.1g red oil hash.

You will not ever get a "instant" high like with smoking while eating. You will not know if you ate enough or too much for around a hour. you can not undo eating and it can get very intense.

People subconsiously love predictability. If I eat x amount I will get so high, if they dont get high enough its a dissapointment. If they get too high its a very sick feeling.

If you can buy hexane off ebay, use as your solvent to extract thc and carefully evaporate the hexane with a electric heat source. dissolve the thich resin thats left in some 190 proof ethanol and evaporate the ethanol away.

enjoy

Gram for gram pure resin from a leaf is the same as resin from a bud. you can use leaf material if you account for the fact that resin density is lower. I use leaf material when making my hash oil just as I use buds.

One more thing thc does not bind with oil or butter it dissolves in them, you can have 1 gram hash in 100g oil or 1g oil in 100g hash. They will mix in any ratio like alcohol and water do with each other.

Marcellas

Veteran
Just so everyone knows, I'm using higher-quality outdoor grown BUDS, to make the cannabutter. I'm not using trim, leaf, or mid-grade, but not using killer indoor Diesel or anything amazing either. Its bright green, fruity smell/taste, slightly sticky, and pretty good stone. :)
.. I was thinking about making canna-oil like somebody mentioned, using just enough pot for 1 batch of brownies, since the recipe on the box calls for oil (2/3 cup), not butter..

But like you guys said, I think it it would be much easier to just use the basic cannabutter recipe and use that for my brownies. I've made cannabutter a few times with sugary-trim and popcorn nugs and it turned out pretty good... I've also eaten 'too many' edibles before and that wasn't fun haha, I do usually need a higher-dose though. I love the trippy relaxing high :rasta:

I'll probably use 21 grams of this decent bud for 3 sticks of butter, which is the perfect amount for 2 BATCHES of brownies. The brownie recipe needs 2/3 cup cannabutter, and 3 sticks should leave me a little under 1.5cups TOTAL, so I'll use the other half of my cannabutter for cookies or something. I may even use a whole ounce and 4 sticks of butter....

I'm finally making the cannabutter tomorrow night!! I'll let it simmer for at least 2 hours on lower-heat (electric stove). I'm using water but I might not strain the weed out since I have no cheesecloth.
......I'm also worried because the brownies I bought are suppose to be baked at 350F for 25min, isn't this too HOT??? Should I change it up?
:thank you:

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
0.6 grams bud per serving should be right around 0.1 grams hash oil per serving so yea thats decent.

I totally disagree that throwing random amounts of bud in is the best idea. You will never get consistity using random amounts. Using bud weight is still too close to random amounts because some bud is frostier than others even on the same plant. You would have to get to know each batch seperately. I know one brownie form may is the same as a brownie in december. 0.1g red oil hash.

You will not ever get a "instant" high like with smoking while eating. You will not know if you ate enough or too much for around a hour. you can not undo eating and it can get very intense.

People subconsiously love predictability. If I eat x amount I will get so high, if they dont get high enough its a dissapointment. If they get too high its a very sick feeling.

If you can buy hexane off ebay, use as your solvent to extract thc and carefully evaporate the hexane with a electric heat source. dissolve the thich resin thats left in some 190 proof ethanol and evaporate the ethanol away.

enjoy

Gram for gram pure resin from a leaf is the same as resin from a bud. you can use leaf material if you account for the fact that resin density is lower. I use leaf material when making my hash oil just as I use buds.

One more thing thc does not bind with oil or butter it dissolves in them, you can have 1 gram hash in 100g oil or 1g oil in 100g hash. They will mix in any ratio like alcohol and water do with each other.

Hummm now here is where you and I are not going to agree of-course you can throw random amounts of bud in any mixture WHY NOT??
lol..
Yes some bud is going to be frostier then others and some will be leaf and you can even use your stems.lol
Nothing of this plant needs to be wasted and as far as the amount this would be entirerly up to the person that is making the mixture and their tolerence levels lol..
I can make weak mixtures and stronge ones depending on what I'm looking for.
Where are you getting the idea that THC is not binding with oil?
You also say gram per gram the resin from leaf is the same as bud?? WHAT?? lol
Are you sure you have cooked cannabis before??? headband 707:)

pip313

I'm not a "stupid stoner" I have had chemistry classes, thc is a oil, veg oil is a oil, like dissolves like. Thc does not bind to oil end of story. I know I have a bit of an attitude im just so sick of stupid stoner misconseptions.

I never said you couldnt use random amounts I said it wasnt the best idea. If you like to guess how high your gonna get off eating and are willing to over do it then feel free. I will not ever recomend anyone take the chance of eating too much. Been there dont wanna be there again.

To the o.p I think your making a serious mistake. Even ignoring the weed part I would never substitute butter for oil in brownies your in for a nasty experience. Making cannabutter and cannaoil is the same. Add your non polar (butter, oil) add plant matter, add water, simmer, filter, seperate.

As far as nothing wasted from this plant, I totally agree and promote safe resin extraction using hexane (has advantages over butane) and ethanol (purges hexane)

Not wasting material is not the same as guessing how much your using. A pound of buds after hexane washing wouldnt get an non stoner high. Aka no waste.

pip313

Soluble in fat and soluble in oil means it dissloves in those. People that think thc binds to oil are mistaken. Fat is another way of saying oil. The only real difference is "fat" is generally solid at room temp and "oil" is usually liquid at room temp.

Marcellas

Veteran
Okay now you guys are confusing me, lol.
........Some of you are telling me to make cannabutter and use that for my brownies in place of the oil, which would be easier for me since I've made cannabutter before.. And another one of you is saying I should make canna-oil and use that for my brownies, which would make sense since the recipe on the box calls for oil, but I've never made canna-oil before..

I'd really much rather use cannabutter.. Will it really affect the flavor or the consistency of the brownies if I used cannabutter to replace the oil in the recipe?? I figured it would be better, and that the recipe just recommended to use oil because it's healthier, but I could be wrong.. Pip, why will cannabutter ruin my brownies? :eek:

I'm worried about the heat degrading the THC in the butter since I'm suppose to cook the brownies at 350°F for 25min, isn't this too hot??
.....And if I don't strain the weed out after cooking it into the butter (I don't have cheesecloth), will it stay in the water or stick to the butter, and will this cause a problem??

I know I'm probably making this more difficult than it is but I want to be sure not to mess it up!! Thanks for all the help guys and please keep the advice coming! :biggrin:

Latest posts

Latest posts