What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Maine governor signs measure allowing recreational marijuana use

matt11

Yup it is legal here in Maine now for recreational use, possession, and cultivation.

BUT a referendum was passed recently where we (Maine) will have to wait till next year for the legal sales of marijuana; I.E. dispenseries, store fronts, ect... whitch is is reasonable while Maine gets their taxation affairs in order, zoning and such. But as of now anyone can legally "gift" cannabis to one another.

matt11

The powers that be could easily change our best in the country grow laws for illegal/non medical growing to eliminate competition for the legal stores.

They could theoretically, but why would they? They don't have to. All they have to do (and will eventually will) is flood the market with so much of their cannabis at a crazy low price point the little guy (like us growers) could no way compete. Because at the end of the day the store front owners selling cannabis will almost always buy cannabis at 1/2 the cost or less of local growers, its basic economics.

What I would love to see is a law passed in legal states mandating that ONLY cannabis grown by state residents can Be bought and sold by legal store fronts. And also these farmers are not affiliated or work under companies and/or organization within the state owned by shareholders making a specific net worth per year. This way it's the states farmers trying to make a honest living that will prosper, not big pharma.

But you already know this will never happen.

Last edited:

KONY

Veteran
They could theoretically, but why would they? They don't have to. All they have to do (and will eventually will) is flood the market with so much of their cannabis at a crazy low price point the little guy (like us growers) could no way compete. Because at the end of the day the store front owners selling cannabis will almost always buy cannabis at 1/2 the cost or less of local growers, its basic economics.

What I would love to see is a law passed in legal states mandating that ONLY cannabis grown by state residents can Be bought and sold by legal store fronts. And also these farmers are not affiliated or work under companies and/or organization within the state owned by shareholders making a specific net worth per year. This way it's the states farmers trying to make a honest living that will prosper, not big pharma.

Wouldnt be for a year or 2 I would think. Right now the black market in Maine is thriving. If that pisses the wrong person off, shit could change. I dont think its going to happen tomorrow.

Really no one has any idea whats going to happen a year or 3 from now. The big worry is the medical program being eliminated and the grow laws for growing 50 plants and possessing anything under a lb of weed will be changed.

I agree with your state resident thing, atleast a 3 or 5 year resident would be ideal. Fuck existing caregivers or rather to give them first priority makes no sense. Most of them are just in it for the money, same with our dispensaries, it blows my mind they get first priority.

I got no problem with a business making money, if there primary goal is quality, and 2nd is money.
However when you make your primary goal money, you are likely to do some undesirable things to get the product to market as regularly and quickly as possible.

matt11

Wouldnt be for a year or 2 I would think. Right now the black market in Maine is thriving. If that pisses the wrong person off, shit could change. I dont think its going to happen tomorrow.

Really no one has any idea whats going to happen a year or 3 from now. The big worry is the medical program being eliminated and the grow laws for growing 50 plants and possessing anything under a lb of weed will be changed.

I agree with your state resident thing, atleast a 3 or 5 year resident would be ideal. Fuck existing caregivers or rather to give them first priority makes no sense. Most of them are just in it for the money, same with our dispensaries, it blows my mind they get first priority.

I got no problem with a business making money, if there primary goal is quality, and 2nd is money.
However when you make your primary goal money, you are likely to do some undesirable things to get the product to market as regularly and quickly as possible.

Word. I 100% agree you bro:yes:

Especially when it comes to caregivers getting first priority. The Everyman should get just as much as opportunity as existing caregivers. And at the end of the day let the quality of the cannabis do the talking.
Granted I am currently a caregiver, I can honestly say I just love horticulture, and making a little extra money on the side after grow expenses. My patients can appreciate that too.
But almost all the caregivers I know are JUST about the money. Not giving a shit about genetics, catering to the specific ailments of the patients, useing pesticides, or even diligently checking for mold or mildew growth in their grow rooms. With the 1st priority being only yield.

Ktaadn

I've sampled a lot of dispensary stuff and while I can say it's all "good", there's nothing great about it. Strange times we live in, but I can see a connoisseur market developing in the near future once the bureaucratic bs settles down.

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Please bring MANY MANY BOATLOAD'S down to Florida next "season" and thumb your nose at them. What are they going to do, arrest their source of income ( tourists, out of state homeowners etc )

I don't think so! :tiphat:

KONY

Veteran
Please bring MANY MANY BOATLOAD'S down to Florida next "season" and thumb your nose at them. What are they going to do, arrest their source of income ( tourists, out of state homeowners etc )

I don't think so! :tiphat:

I hope yall have medical reciprocity. Seems it hasnt been made clear yet if you do.

Jhhnn

Veteran

Colorado's A64 is structured that way. Companies have to be Colorado owned. It put existing MMJ dispensaries at the head of the line for retail licensing, as well.

OTOH, it's structured so that you have to go big or stay home, cutting MMJ caregivers out of retail unless they could come up with the cash to up their game.

Latest posts

Latest posts