What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Maine governor signs measure allowing recreational marijuana use

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
(Reuters) - Maine Governor Paul LePage on Tuesday said he had signed a measure legalizing the recreational usage of marijuana in his state after voters approved the move in a November ballot initiative.
With the signature, the country's northeastern-most state becomes the ninth to legalize recreational use of the drug.
LePage, a Republican who had opposed the idea, expressed reservations about how legalization would be implemented in a regular weekly interview with WMOV radio, in which he confirmed signing the legalization proclamation.
"There is nothing I can do until the legislature gives me money to set up the infrastructure," LePage said.
The law will allow adults aged 21 and older to use the drug in private, but not public places, and to possess up to 2.5 ounces (70.9 grams) of marijuana.
"Mainers will no longer be punished for using a substance that is safer than alcohol," said David Boyer, who led the legalization campaign, in a statement.
"We look forward to working with the legislature to ensure a timely implementation of Question 1, which will provide adults with a legal way to purchase marijuana from licensed and regulated businesses."
Nearby Massachusetts last month became the first state in the northeast to legalize recreational marijuana usage after a similar measure passed in a Nov. 8 ballot initiative.
An October poll by Gallup showed that 60 percent of Americans now support the legalization of recreational use of marijuana. Even more approve of the idea of legalizing marijuana for medical use, a step that 28 states have taken.
The drug remains illegal under federal law, and U.S. President-elect Donald Trump, who takes office on Jan. 20, has sent mixed signals about his views on it.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/maine-go...llowing-recreational-marijuana-191903465.html

ronbo51

Veteran
It's funny. When I moved to Maine in 1981 it was, along with Alaska, the only state where weed had been decriminalized. I started growing the minute I hit the ground and did so right up to the minute I left, one year before medical came on. After 23 years of guerrilla and ninja growing I sure would have enjoyed growing my best under tight supervision and without fear. But I'm glad you guys get to now. Government will twist this into an unrecognizable shitfest, but eventually it will settle out. And if they get too greedy the black market always waits, ready to impose market forces. Good luck to you Mainiacs. I'm rootin for ya.

Jhhnn

Veteran
And another one bites the dust...

Maine law is now more liberal than in CO, allowing for social clubs & unlimited seedlings for personal growers.

jets1925

Portland Maine is underrated as a vacay spot.

Portland Maine is underrated as a vacay spot.

I will be making the trip more often now!

D

Dioni

I like OLD PORT in the summer....lots of places to EAT and some real nice shops!

KONY

Veteran
This law is only good for the average stoner that mostly buys weed, and big business. Totally left the little guy to the dust. No one was going to jail in maine previously for possession or growing a few plants.

Hold Your Fire

Finding my way back home
Veteran
Totally left the little guy to the dust.
Seems as though that's where "legalizing" is headed.

The state will want to control EVERYTHING.

Legislative leaders in Maine, have agreed on a deal, and our senate president and house speaker have written a bill asking for a moratorium to delay retail sales for a year, to figure things out, no edibles either.

Our governor will surely sign it, he wasn't in favor of it to begin with.

:tiphat:

Ph-patrol

Veteran
Maine has amazing salt and freshwater fishing and the people are the salt of the earth.
Sooo much wild life....No fishing that's an outrageous statement.Yeah no Hunting either.
Colorado haha

2 guys up in princton maine feeding the eagles......pink floyd run like hell...Live
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRcSYfNycFk

Hold Your Fire

Finding my way back home
Veteran
Whoa nellie.

Governor LePage will not sign bill approving moratorium unless changes are made.

Unless he signs that bill we'll have legal cannabis in Maine beginning Mon. at midnight.