What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best lighting and ventilation for a 8x4 tent???

The turkwich

I'm switching things around in my grow room and am adding a 8x4 flower tent, ideally I'd like to have 3x air cooled 600w hps lights. Anybody run this set up?

insomniac_AU

I have a 4 x 4 tent and run 1 600 HPS which is more than enough. Using that logic I wouldn't run more than 2 600s.

insomniac_AU

Others may have different opinions but 3 600s in such a small tent is a lot of light and heat for the plants to deal with. There is such a thing as too much. Don't forget you have to get rid of all that heat. In my experience if the tent is only 2 metres high you'll also have trouble getting the lights far enough from the canopy unless you are careful.

The turkwich

Insomniac, at 1800w over 32 sq ft I'm at 56w/sqft. Doesn't seem like too much to me. In the past I have ran 2 600s in a 5x9 and the yield just wasn't what it should of been for that space.

The turkwich

I'm curious to know what other people running this setup are using for ventilation. 8" or 6" hoods? What size cfm exhaust fan? I have an a/c as well for the room so I'm ready to fight with the heat a bit

Pro Headies

Veteran
How tall is your Tent? I'd run two 1k hps SE in blockbuster hoods if I was in a 4x8. A 8inch fan with AC running will cool it no problem if properly setup. I myself am getting ready to switch all HID lights out to quantum boards, give them a look if you get a chance.

The turkwich

Hey pro headies, funny you say that! I've been seriously looking into the hlg 550 recently but the budget doesn't allow it at the moment. The reason I'd be running 3 600s is because that will put me on the max for safe amp draws on the circuits I got my got all my equipment on. I also feel like I'll get more coverage with a lamp smack dab in the middle of 2 others. For ventilation I'm stuck though. For an 8x4x6.6 a 220 cfm exhaust fan would replace the air once per minute. A 6" exhaust usually runs around 440cfm, 8" around 880, my question is if I get 8" hoods and an 8" fan I'll be replacing the air 4x a minute, this is way too much for a 8x4 tent isn't it? Wouldn't the tent have too much negative pressure? I just can't seem to wrap my head around this lol.

Pro Headies

Veteran
The tent will suck in some for sure from the pressure. Depending on your ambient temperature of room tents in would determine size of fan. If you can keep temps be pulled into tent lower a 6inch would cool 3 600s but it would have to be probably running about full speed where a 8 inch on a speed control would work better overall and less noise if can dial it down some.

I would recommend not buying a 550. Just buy the combos they sell, 2 boards with 2 heatsinks at $190 a piece and either 2 drivers or 1 big one. Hang them on a closet wire shelving, saves you roughly $500 per rig.

Buddler

Veteran
if air cooled should be no prob i run two vetical sixes but have been switching over to the 315 CH last run i had a 6 and a315 i was thinkin of two sixes with a 315 in the middle with a 6 in exhaust and cool intake air ..Summertime requires an ac cooling intake air .as mentioned already..B

The turkwich

Thanks for the replies guys, ya I'll be keeping the room temps nice and cold. So if you were in my shoes would this setup sound solid. 8x4 tent in a 9x10 bedroom. Whole room is cooled by 6500btu a/c. Inside tent would go carbon filter>light>light>light>8" exhaust fan on speed adjuster>out of house. Passive intake or forced? What would u change or adjust? Should I swap the middle 600 for a cheap viparspectra 1200 for some added spectrum and a little less heat to deal with?

Easy7

Veteran
If I had a go at it now, I'd run 2 600 ceramic hps or 2 630 cmh. 8 inch vortex should do ok. I'd grow 2 plants per grow for two grows and shut down or go outside in the summer. 2 600 is all an outlet or dual timer can take without a dedicated light controller. 3 600s is overkill unless you have tall ceilings. 2 600s yeild plenty for personal. A 315 cermic halide for a veg tent on another circuit, that can also flower for seed in the summer when the 600s are off. Summer growing indoors gets expensive fast. Rather go larger for the off ac season, fall to spring.

Latest posts

Latest posts