What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ca source?: Phosphoric acid + calcium hydroxide in hydro

arfman

Any reason this wouldn't work in hydro?
Phosphoric acid + calcium hydroxide (in soulution) = free calcium + free phosphorous

I'm aware of the normal arguments for organics, not interested in hearing those. Just wondering if there's anything fundamentally scientifically flawed with the idea.

I'm only really looking for the Ca boost, would use only Ca(OH)2 but figure I'd need to add acid to balance Ph.

arfman

Thanks for the input, but I wouldn 't stick to using most name brand nutes unless you're into pissing $ down the drain. I'm not a chemist, but it's not rocket science. Anyway, calmag is crap for bloom, it's got a bunch of N in it. I use calcium nitrate for veg, largely same source of Ca as calmag, costs probably 1% (or less) of calmag.

arfman

I think my main concern re my originally stated idea is that they'd form a precipitate and I'd get little or no Ca in solution.

If you want to expirement using chems on your own and are comfortable doing so go for it dude. I wouldn't mix them directly though I'd add them separately to a nute solution unless you know what the end product of the chemical reaction will be from mixing them directly. I've never had a issue with calmag precipitating out in the drip systems I used to run and now that I run hempy buckets it's not something I'd even have to worry about.

A $20 bottle of technaflora magiCal lasts me a year or more maybe you are running a warehouse or something and go through a lot but it's never seemed like a big money drain to me. $30 worth of h&g aquaflakes lasts about the same amount of time hell nutes are so cheap I'm playing around with a few different brands like canna and gh maxibloom this run. And the small amount of N in the calmag has never been a problem for me but I use pk13/14(or sometimes koolbloom) and canna boost so the N is outweighed. Maybe somebody else who mixes their own hydro nutes will chime in but I'd assume most get brand name nutes as long as it's not AN it's not that much of a money drain. Now soil growers make their own nutes with great success I just don't hear from hydro growers doing that very often maybe some people do though .

Either way good luck dude and if you find mixes that work feel free to post the results and recipes

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts