What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NJ Medical Marijuana

they just brought the bill up again and the speaker said to hold that for about 45 more minutes...?!? what the hell is that..what is going on...seems like they're building a case for one side or the other for some reason...I'm pissed man wtf is going on...anyone else listening?

big mike

January 11, 2010 7:15 PM

A profound sigh of relief can be heard resonating deeply throughout our State this evening as it appears New Jersey’s sick and dying have finally won their right to legally access the immense benefit of medical marijuana. The full New Jersey State Legislature has just passed the Compassionate Use Medical Marijuana Act A804/S119 permitting and regulating the state-wide use of marijuana as medicine.

Governor Corzine has previously expressed his intent to sign the bill into law once passed. Subsequently, today’s long-awaited victory represents New Jersey’s pivotal step towards a more rational marijuana policy.

Congratulations to all who have worked so hard to make it happen!

Check back soon at www.normlnj.org for updates to this developing story.

:smokeit:

Sleepy

Veteran
Posted on Mon, Jan. 11, 2010

N.J. Legislature approves medical marijuana

By **********
********* STAFF WRITER
New Jersey is set become the 14th state in the nation to allow medical marijuana, under a bill approved today by legislators that has the support of Gov. Corzine. Corzine is expected to sign the bill within the next several days, during his last week as governor. The law would go into effect six months after it is enacted.
The approval of the bill marks a milestone for advocates who have worked for years to legalize the medical use of marijuana in New Jersey.
Last February, the state Senate approved a medical-marijuana bill with bipartisan support. But after critics raised concerns that that bill could allow marijuana to become too readily available, sponsors of the bill tightened up the restrictions.
The Assembly voted in favor of the bill 48-14, while the Senate voted 25-13.
"I don't think we should make criminals out of our very sick and terminally ill," said Assemblyman Reed Gusciora (D., Mercer), a prime sponsor of the bill. "It does not make sense for many of New Jersey's residents to suffer when there is a viable way to ease their pain."
Gusciora (D., Mercer) said New Jersey's would be the strictest medical marijuana law in the nation.
Under the bill, people with "debilitating medical conditions," including severe or chronic pain, severe nausea or vomiting, cancer or terminal illness, would be eligible to take medical marijuana, which would be available through for-profit and nonprofit alternative treatment centers throughout the state. Patients would be limited to two ounces of marijuana every 30 days.
Gusciora said the amount was chosen in part because some legislators objected to higher amounts.
Opponents of the bill argued it could be difficult to enforce and could lead to problems such as more crime.
Assemblywoman Mary Pat Angelini (R., Monmouth) said the Food and Drug Administration is better suited than the Legislature to decide which medicines are safe and effective.
"We are taking the science out of the equation," Angelini said, adding that the result could be a "lasting negative impact on our children, communities and future."
In an emotional news conference prior to the votes, about a dozen patients suffering from conditions such as Lou Gehrig's disease, multiple sclerosis and muscular dystrophy urged lawmakers to legalize marijuana for medical uses, saying it provided them with relief that no legal medication - including narcotics such as morphine - had.
Charles Kwiatkowski wants to give his 4-year-old piggy-back rides. Michael Oliveri moved from New Jersey to California to have access to medical marijuana legally. Nancy Fedder wanted to be able to take marijuana to ease the symptoms of her multiple sclerosis without worrying that she or her daughter, who takes care of her, could wind up facing prosecution.
Several patients at the news conference objected to the maximum amount allowed by the proposed legislation, saying it would not be enough to help some patients and should be a matter left to a physician to decide.
Elise Segal, a nurse from Deptford Township, said marijuana had helped ease the muscle spasms and nerve pain from her multiple sclerosis.
Other medications, Segal said, impaired her functioning and affected her behavior and often made her sick. She said she started taking marijuana several years after a friend who works as a hospice nurse suggested it to her.
The marijuana provided instant relief, Segal said, and allowed her to sleep.
"I have never been so happy in my life," Segal said, her eyes tearing up shortly after the Senate vote. "It means I will no longer be a criminal and I can reach out to my patients and talk about my experience with multiple sclerosis."
Among those who lobbied against the bill was David G. Evans, executive director of the Drug Free Schools Coalition, who objected, among other things, to a change in the bill to allow for-profit entities to dispense marijuana. He also said regulated medical marijuana would be too expensive.
At a news conference , Gov.-elect Christopher J. Christie reiterated that while he supports the idea of medical marijuana, he would like to see tighter restrictions written into the law.
"I still think there are some loopholes in the medical marijuana bill that don't make me completely comfortable," Christie said. Still, he added that "conceptually I support the idea of medical marijuana for seriously ill people for pain relief to them, I think that's the compassionate thing to do."
He characterized medical marijuana in California as being "completely out of control."
Christie said he would prefer to see a strictly defined list of diseases for which physicians would be permitted to prescribe medical marijuana.
U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said in October that federal authorities would not arrest or prosecute medical-marijuana users and suppliers who comply with state laws, an about-face from the Bush Administration's position on marijuana.
New Jerseyans strongly support medical marijuana, according to polls on the subject. One poll commissioned by the Drug Policy Alliance New Jersey, which supports medical marijuana, in 2006, found that 86 percent agreed "seriously ill patients should have access to marijuana for medical purposes if a physician recommends it."

good going, NJ!!:smokeit:

accessndx

♫All I want to do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom..
Veteran
It's a done deal....I heard in on the news tonight......it just has to get signed by the big C and it's historical!

Here's the good news: we're 1 step closer to full on legalization. Yes this was a compromised bill, but it passed and that's a F.U.C.K.I.N.G. milestone.....

THE 14TH STATE IN HISTORY TO DO THIS.

No matter what shape or form this takes, it's absolutely 100% better than the situation that existed prior to it.

It simply doesn't give us the limitless power to do what we please.....which sucks balls and taint....but ultimately it's alot closer to the reality I'd like to see than the day before yesterday.

It's one step in a monumental achievement still waiting somewhere in the forseeable future.

I'm confident that someday soon there will be decrim. and/or legalization for everyone.

When Obama makes smug comments about stoners lobbying in any capacity it infuriates me that he's been so dismissive on so logical a point.....

This small change is enough to make all that prior disappointment disappear.

It's clearly a beacon of hope and a foreshadowing of things yet to come.

K+++ NJ. Lotsa love in the Garden State tonight. :)

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes, my hometown! Finally maybe I can return one day soon. :joint:

the_man

there is no Home growing in the NJ bill

it will be 6 state run dispensaries with a max for 2 ounces per month per patient it is the strictest bill so far

The PA bill is 6 plants and 1 ounce but something tells me they will hack up the bill to be like NJ so the rebulicans will pass it

xOOx

congratz nj.. told you it would pass.. but now just have to wait it out, and then after a year or so, when nobody has started raping all the white women they can start pecking at it with little changes that won't make the news, but eventually allowing all disease, and home growing..

now, someone has to start to talk to the senators to introduce a decrim. bill, $100 fine..

who's gonna do that?

xoox

Muleskinner

Veteran
I hope y'all are ready to pay $400 per ounce to a dispensary. This law SUCKS and is indicative of what MPP and DPA are pushing these days. They have abandoned the poor and middle-class sick people.

This law will do nothing to prevent the raid that recently happened to the MS patient in NJ, where his plants and medicine were seized, and his home put into forteiture, for a few plants. And he'll be going to jail soon, MS and all.

For long-term, legitimate medical patients, this law does almost nothing. You still get arrested and have your home seized for growing or possession of significant amounts.

Yes, a medical MJ law passed. But it is by far the worst medical MJ law in the United States. The law is good for people who make their jobs in MJ reform, they can tell everyone they passed a law and George Soros and Peter Lewis will continue to shower them with money.

And MPP's referendum in AZ this year is just as bad, it allows dispensaries but no growing.

I hope we've all stopped giving money to MPP. I make my donations to Americans for Safe Access (ASA) now.