What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Light controller/timer

I was looking at these light controller with timers. I was told to stay away from the integrated timer ones and i've told they are good... I was looking at this specific model https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hydro-C...ht-Controller-with-Timer-D940001000/302859171

"8-Outlet 120/240-Volt 8000-Watt Maximum Light Controller with Timer" I will only be running up to 6x600 watt lights so i wont be using this at max so maybe it will keep it in solid running order? any thoughts? I will be redoing my whole panel whole room is built. I have around 7 breakers, and my garage is currently only using 2 of them so figure i have room to work with. Along with installing a 9k BTU mini split to heat/cool veg and flower rooms.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
The smaller 15 amp timer relays can be reliably run at up to 6 amps.
A 100 amp service can be safely run at 70 amps.
A three watt LED diode run at two watts has a shorter lifespan than a diode run at one and a half watts.

So...an 8,000 watt rated relay should work with a 3,600 watt load, but the maximum rating is just than, a maximum to be used for a short time period only.
50% is a good rule of thumb.

hvac guy

That unit from home depot is unsafe and not built to comply with NEC or CEC code requirements, unsafe. Get an electrician to build you a timerboard.

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That unit is fine . i bought one & pulled it apart before hooking it up . i am an electrician & looked it over good . the wiring is all correct with good connections the relay is a good brand relay well within specs .... the cheapest thing about it is the timer & thats even a decent timer for what they're using it for .
i'm running 6k watts on mine with no problems !

picture.php

picture.php

That unit is fine . i bought one & pulled it apart before hooking it up . i am an electrician & looked it over good . the wiring is all correct with good connections the relay is a good brand relay well within specs .... the cheapest thing about it is the timer & thats even a decent timer for what they're using it for .
i'm running 6k watts on mine with no problems !

View Image

View Image

THanks... Im not looking for anything super special.. I doubt they'd be selling something that wouldn't be compliant in the state they are selling it in? But you have liked it so far Dansbud? no issues?

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Is there a staple within 12" of the strain relief on the box?

Kidding.

Last edited:

hvac guy

You're an electrician and you don't know about down current devices like receptacles can only be wired to a breaker that is rated for the same amperage as the receptacle. Then you have 15A receptacles wired to a 40A or 50A two-pole breaker. I was a journeyman electrician for 15 years. Refer to the link if you have doubts.

https://www.saferproducts.gov/ViewIncident/1377268

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
THanks... Im not looking for anything super special.. I doubt they'd be selling something that wouldn't be compliant in the state they are selling it in? But you have liked it so far Dansbud? no issues?

none :tiphat:

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
You're an electrician and you don't know about down current devices like receptacles can only be wired to a breaker that is rated for the same amperage as the receptacle. Then you have 15A receptacles wired to a 40A or 50A two-pole breaker. I was a journeyman electrician for 15 years. Refer to the link if you have doubts.

https://www.saferproducts.gov/ViewIncident/1377268

dude , you obviously don't have much knowledge in motor control , relays & contactors ..... the relay thats powered by the 50 amp line is rated for 50 amps ..... the rest are just branches off the relay , . & they're all load protected .

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
15 years, that's allot of journeyman time. No Master. Can't pull a permit in my state.

hvac guy

Both of you don't know shit, motor control is not the same as down current device (breaker). How are the 15A receptacles protected after the contactor, they're not, they are all connected to the 50A breaker, enjoy your fire when your lighting controller fails.

A

acridlab

anybody check out "powerbox" controls? so far I like them the best,, built way better than titan, etc

Doesn't everyone's controllers work like that? You're not going to run more than 15a through the recepticles regardless what's the problem?

Anyways the intermatic 40a 240 timer boxes are solid and cheap

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Doesn't everyone's controllers work like that? You're not going to run more than 15a through the recepticles regardless what's the problem?

Anyways the intermatic 40a 240 timer boxes are solid and cheap
i have always use the intermatic time clocks .... the 220 volt ones are 70$ here at the big box stores & then i have to add the recepticles & dryer cords for powering it .
but the price on that hydrocrunch is what got me to try one & check it out . i can't build one for what they're charging for it . so i bought it , checked it out before even hooking it up & its surprisly decent for the money !

picture.php

growshopfrank

Veteran
i have always use the intermatic time clocks .... the 220 volt ones are 70$ here at the big box stores & then i have to add the recepticles & dryer cords for powering it .
but the price on that hydrocrunch is what got me to try one & check it out . i can't build one for what they're charging for it . so i bought it , checked it out before even hooking it up & its surprisly decent for the money !

View Image

Just for shit and giggles about twice a year disconnect the controller from power and check the condition of the insulation on the wires inside for brittleness and degradation you might be in for a surprise.
One thing that cheap chinese electrical has iis that plastic/rubber components degrade very fast.

FWIW HVAC Guy is just trying to keep folks safe.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
FWIW, I tried an" all in one" controller made by Titan, Co2, RH, Temp, 15a, remote control and timers. Took it back. Sensors way off. No calibration. No thanks. Just my opinion on this controller after mentioning this brand prior.

hvac guy

Just for shit and giggles about twice a year disconnect the controller from power and check the condition of the insulation on the wires inside for brittleness and degradation you might be in for a surprise.
One thing that cheap chinese electrical has iis that plastic/rubber components degrade very fast.

FWIW HVAC Guy is just trying to keep folks safe.

Excellent suggest about the connections to the lugs, whenever I install a main service and tightened the lugs, I always come back a few weeks later and re-tighten as the heat causes expansion and the lug isn't as tight. You and I think a lot alike GSF, if you lived in Vancouver, BC, I would offer you some jobs if you had the time, cheerz.

Latest posts

Latest posts